New Student Pilot

Flyer86

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Hi everyone, I just wanted to hop in here and say hello. I just started my flight training on the way to get my private rating. Its been a goal since high school (9 years ago) but, just like buying my motorcycle, I had to just jump in and actually make it happen. I had my first lesson last Saturday in a 150 and I'm absolutely hooked :goofy:.

I'll be going up on Thursday in a 172 for my second lesson and hopfully will be making it a regular twice a week thing. Ill probably pop in here and talk about my experiences, and its good to see such a community. I'll definitely be browsing the archives here for as much information as I can. This is going to be life changing for me.

It's addicting! Only way to start is to take the plunge. Way to go and have fun!

Start a training thread and keep posting your progress. Those are the best.
I never flew a 150 but I have a handful of hours in a 172 and it is a fun, gentle plane to fly.

Welcome to POA and welcome to your new addiction!

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the training and remember that you will, someday, be able to perform all of the functions required to fly on your own. You just have to stick with it (sometimes through times when it feels you'll never get it right). You're going to have a blast! Keep us updated.

usuba7ep.jpg

Just kidding. Have fun.

Well... It took a long time... with about 5 months grounded between... But I finally did my first solo flight on Sunday! Now all I have to do is finish up 1.6 of night time cross country, get the rest of my solo hours, and finih off that written and I will be ready for the examiner! Took me a while to get back into the wing of things but I cant wait to get it all done now.

Thanks. It was great to finally get back into it. after being out of it for 5 months I got a bit of night flying done then spent 1.8 on sunday getting dialed in with the instructor and then hit the pattern for my first .7 of solo... It was awesome. I strangely felt more calm flying the plane on my own than I did with the instructor... he would always tell me to pull back more on the yoke when I didn't really feel like it needed to be... the result was always ballooning... this time it worked out great...

I cant wait to get the rest done and work on honing the skills...

Good luck!
And yes, I felt like sometimes my instructor would tell me to do certain things which I felt could be done differently.. not to go into deep detail but one of the things he never told me to do was to trim the airplane for a steep turn, I pretty much add a bit of power maybe half a second before I start the turn, then once my wings are starting to bank I would turn the trim wheel 2-3 times, depending on speed, etc.. And when he saw that I did that he told me to just control it with the stick, no trim needed.. Well I executed the steep turn very, very nicely and I respectfully told him that for ME, trimming helped me keep my nose up during the turn..I stuck with that technique, and for my checkride I did it and I lost maybe 25ft during my turns.
What I am trying to say is, within reason of course, YOU are the one flying the airplane, and if you perform better by doing something a certain way (which will not compromise safety or FARs of course) then by all means go for it! Dont be shy to let your instructor know.

Well... I guess I should change the name of this thread to new Private Pilot. I got my checkride completed on Tuesday! And then drove to Florida... now I'm trying to figure out where to live down here near an airport... but that's in another thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wow in just 11 post you did this. Congrads. Have fun and enjoy your new found freedom.

Fly Smart and safety will take care of its self.

Tony

Its been fun! I'm looking around in Tampa for a good rental place. Good times.

Back