New student pilot and forum member...

Bird Man

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NJ Bird Man
I wanted to drop a line to say hello. I am a new student pilot and just received my class 3 medical a few days ago. I've been reading on this site for quite a while and decided to join the forums.

I have a few hours under my belt and can't stop thinking about my next lesson. We are flying out of N12 in Lakewood, NJ. Anyone in my area, please give a shout!

I look forward to gaining knowledge from this great forum and meeting like minded people.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of people here with great advice. Good luck with your training.

Welcome! I fly out of KMMU..Flew into Lakewood a bunch of times.

Thank you guys! This forum is definitely worth the price of admission. I have already learned a ton from poking around the different threads. Can't wait to be one of the members offering advise.

I've heard KMMU is a nice airport. Look forward to landing there one day! Soon...

I fly out of N87 (Robbinsville), my dad flies out of Monmouth Executive (KBLM), plane lives in KBLM.

I have family in Robbinsville. Can't wait to pick them up from there one day!

I unfortunately was just at NorthStar Vets there. Amazing animal hospital though!

Welcome to the forum,free advise is always worth what you paid for it.

Welcome!!!
POA is a fascinating place that oscillates between serious and weird on an unpredictable basis.

Right now it's Cole slaw and body bags.

We can use more students like you to ask questions and get us back on track.
Lots of good advice here and even gooder people to boot!

What are you flying?

I have noticed a lot of Cole slaw being mentioned. I figured I would catch on with a few more hours in my log book, haha.

So far I have flown a Cessna 152 and a Piper Warrior 2. I also have access to 2 172's, a Piper Archer as well as a Piper Arrow with retractable landing gear. I will finish my PPL in the 152.

And worth what you pay for it!! Welcome to the mad house!!!

eh, I recall a lot of people giving you a lot of good advice while you were training and asking questions.......just sayin

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your journey knowing there will be days when you want to throw in the towel. Don't give in to that temptation, push forward.

I have a friend that is 15 or so hours in and gave up. He just couldn't stick the landing. He spent lesson after lesson taking off and "landing", but every time the instructor had to step in.

At some point it has to just click, right?

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your journey knowing there will be days when you want to throw in the towel. Don't give in to that temptation, push forward.

I have a friend that is 15 or so hours in and gave up. He just couldn't stick the landing. He spent lesson after lesson taking off and "landing", but every time the instructor had to step in.

I cant imagine someone quitting so soon........15 hours is not that much in the grand scheme. Ive seen some folks take as long as 30-40-50 hours to solo (and for the most part, thats being able to land). I would encourage your friend to give it another go, maybe try a different instructor, not because the other one was "bad", just a different approach.

15 hours and he gave up?! Tell him to fly with another instructor to get another perspective.

I pleaded with him to keep going. He couldn't even face his instructor. He sent a Dear John letter. Definitely sad.

I wanted to drop a line to say hello. I am a new student pilot and just received my class 3 medical a few days ago. I've been reading on this site for quite a while and decided to join the forums.

I have a few hours under my belt and can't stop thinking about my next lesson. We are flying out of N12 in Lakewood, NJ. Anyone in my area, please give a shout!

I look forward to gaining knowledge from this great forum and meeting like minded people.

Welcome!

I know what you mean about can't stop thinking about your next lesson. I got my private several years ago and I have the same problem :)

This is my first week without a lesson due to work and family in from out of town. Just stinks!

Welcome!

I know what you mean about can't stop thinking about your next lesson. I got my private several years ago and I have the same problem :)

If you keep at it. I had a stint where I couldn't land correctly if my life depended on it. My CFI recommended another fly with me to identify the problem and it took 2 trips around the patch to fix me having a death grip on the yoke. Problem fixed!

15 hrs is not enough time to say I can't land.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree. If it takes him 50 hours to learn to land, so be it. In my opinion it is one of the most important parts of being a pilot.

Consistently making good landings is one of the most difficult parts of flying. The wind, etc., is always different, no matter how stabilized your approach is. Sometimes, though, one person can offer advice that will really help. That happened to me back when I was learning, and I am forever grateful.

It is sad to hear your friend gave up. Maybe there was more going on than just the landing problem?

I would say something else had to be going on. Especially after the dear John letter. He's a bright guy, pretty coordinated... Not too sure.

We have the scorching sun to worry about here baking the runway. There's always a major temperature change the second we get over the runway.

Can't wait to do my first unassisted landing.

Consistently making good landings is one of the most difficult parts of flying. The wind, etc., is always different, no matter how stabilized your approach is. Sometimes, though, one person can offer advice that will really help. That happened to me back when I was learning, and I am forever grateful.

It is sad to hear your friend gave up. Maybe there was more going on than just the landing problem?

Back