New student pilot and also new to message board

GuillCT

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GuillCT
Hello everyone, My name is Cory. I am from New Orleans, Louisiana and just started ground school. I always wanted to fly as a kid, now I have taken the big step in achieving my dream. Hope to chat with you guys real soon!!!! If you have any tips and wisdom for me please post below. :)

Welcome to POA!

Learning to fly is one of the best adventures I've had.
Have you taken a discovery flight yet?

Hey Cory, welomce to POA and congrats on starting your journey toward your private pilot certificate.

Welcome to POA!!! We can be a great source of information. Just remember no question is a dumb question....:yes: Just ask... Study hard and good luck... Keep us posted...

My advice would be to have enough money at the start to carry it through to the finish... That means about $10-12K

Welcome Cory.

Some advise... Get the book Stick & Rudder. Download the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and read chapters 1-4 a few times, then read on through the book.

As DesertNomad said, make sure you have your money saved up for a good 50-80 hrs to get your license. Study, study and study some more.

Congratulations on starting you're training and welcome to POA.

Welcome. Live just outside of Baton Rouge myself, nice to have another LA resident on board.

Welcome to POA!

Learning to fly is one of the best adventures I've had.
Have you taken a discovery flight yet?

Yes, I have taken a discover flight and already started ground school. I have to take one online do to my current work schedule....Has any of you ever heard of "King Schools"??? Thats who I am doing ground school with.

John and Martha King know what they are doing. You are in a good program.

Welcome, Cory. Enjoy the learning experience.

Follow your checklist. Aim for safety and precision flying.... you will be fine.

Welcome and good luck with flying.

Advice - do not drink to much on Bourbon Street!! ;-)

Welcome and remember to have fun and choose your instructor wisely. Find a CFI that you mesh well with and learn well from who spends time on ground and not just hop in the plane. For study, the King School videos are good and FAA books useful.

Should I be focused more on books or should I be accumulating flying time with the books....I just been focused on doind king Schools promgram...I have only done one flight so far with an instructor.

It's really important to keep up with your ground school and apply what you learn in the airplane. Doing your homework is the #1 guaranteed way to minimize you overall training costs.

Back