New Student complications

I am having a bad day. How does "a water landing being harder than the ground" relate to buying a boat and swimming?
Henning, where are you? Need some help here.:confused:
If he bought a boat and had engine failure he'd swim to "safety/shore" in an airplane (in his world) when the airplane quits he figures he's going to crash and burn. I tried explaining the whole gliding theory but it didn't work.

FWIW, Kimberly I'd fly with you. But KTDZ - KSFO (or wherever you fly) from is a little far.

show them this video

http://rmirror.net/mob/r/videos/comments/q5hu9/car_accident_nsfl/

If you go flying, that won't happen to you.

A good book you can read to get yourself acquainted with general aviation accident awareness, and how to keep yourself out of an 'at risk' category is "The last Hour" by Richard Collins.

Preflight, Personal Minimums, Fuel Planning, Weather Knowledge / Awareness and Currency / Proficiency are things you are going to hear over and over. The GA accident rate is much worse than it should be but 90% of those accidents are preventable and can be traced back to a weakness in one of these areas.

Henning.... Someday, somehow I will let you fly my "deathtrap"... it literally has a glide rate of maybe 3-1... on a good day.:hairraise:

BTW, you understand that the glide range is on purpose right? The cool thing is you can do it with a high lift profile.

If he bought a boat and had engine failure he'd swim to "safety/shore" in an airplane (in his world) when the airplane quits he figures he's going to crash and burn. I tried explaining the whole gliding theory but it didn't work.

FWIW, Kimberly I'd fly with you. But KTDZ - KSFO (or wherever you fly) from is a little far.

LOL I'd crap my pants if I had to fly out of SFO. The taxiways alone are so confusing I'd be going in cirlces for hours and upsetting controllers. I fly out of a medium sized, busy on weekends, untowered airport in the hillside of wine country called "Petaluma, CA" (O69). But that is sweet of you - if you are ever in my neck of the woods of course I will take you for a flight.

LOL I'd crap my pants if I had to fly out of SFO. The taxiways alone are so confusing I'd be going in cirlces for hours and upsetting controllers. I fly out of a medium sized, busy on weekends, untowered airport in the hillside of wine country called "Petaluma, CA" (O69). But that is sweet of you - if you are ever in my neck of the woods of course I will take you for a flight.

No such thing dear, have no such fear. Your controller will be happy to help you out, potentially think it's cool that you had the guts to land your 152 at SFO. They'll give you a clearance to read back and then when that is acknowledged as read back correct you ask for progressive or offer to take off from the intersection on what can easily be sufficient remaining runway. It'll allow them to get you out quicker if you are at an intersection past the point of the big juts flying off. That was a trick I learned operating into and out of Ontario airport in SoCal.

No such thing dear, have no such fear. Your controller will be happy to help you out, potentially think it's cool that you had the guts to land your 152 at SFO. They'll give you a clearance to read back and then when that is acknowledged as read back correct you ask for progressive or offer to take off from the intersection on what can easily be sufficient remaining runway. It'll allow them to get you out quicker if you are at an intersection past the point of the big juts flying off. That was a trick I learned operating into and out of Ontario airport in SoCal.

Cool but if I am not mistaken I think it costs thousands of dollars to land there. I could be wrong.

They have a landing fee but I doubt it is much more than $25 for your airplane. You may need to get an appointment to land there. And then there will be a hefty ramp fee at the FBO.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSFO

Ramp fee? Couldn't I just leave? I guess the taxiways are half the fun and they might frown upon anything other than a full stop landing. A nice pilot from POA did show me the "general aviation" side of SFO, much more laid back, oh and his Piaggio..... they had free popcorn there. For fun I should call them up and see what the fee is.

Cool but if I am not mistaken I think it costs thousands of dollars to land there. I could be wrong.

They won't charge you a dime to land and take off. Just be thoughtful and come between pushes when they are slow if you can't maintain 120 to short final is all. Outside of that they'll be happy to handle you.

This was taken at SFO on the GA side:

6242944208_d754e9a060_n.jpg

They won't charge you a dime to land and take off. Just be thoughtful and come between pushes when they are slow if you can't maintain 120 to short final is all. Outside of that they'll be happy to handle you.

I don't think I've ever SEEN 120kts in my little 150. Lucky to get 80 or 90 if I try hard.

Flying in general, It's usually the same thing.. It's dangerous or my favorite "if I'm not traveling by land or water I don't need to go" that one burned me up! It seems peoples perspective is that you have to be a dare devil to fly an airplane. I try to plead to my case with the few that will listen.i seem to have my wife convinced and she see's all the studying and time I spend preparing to become a safe pilot. If I'm not flying, reading about flying or watching flying then I enjoy talking to anyone that will listen to my training experiences so far so that's usually where I pick up the negativity

I went through this both as a student, and even now. I have a guy who works for us (one of our vendors) who commented to me that everytime he heard about a plane crash he worried it was me. Lots of people think it is super dangerous. Just ignore them.

Full power down the glide slope it'll do it lol. I've practiced ILSs at that speed in a 152 before.

Ramp fee? Couldn't I just leave? I guess the taxiways are half the fun and they might frown upon anything other than a full stop landing. A nice pilot from POA did show me the "general aviation" side of SFO, much more laid back, oh and his Piaggio..... they had free popcorn there. For fun I should call them up and see what the fee is.

Made the call. Landing fee = $160. Ramp fee = $40 Those are non-negotiable. Signature charges another $27.50 but will waive that if you buy a little fuel.

Do a full stop and taxi back and you should be OK for free and can say you landed at KSFO. Call the tower and find out what would be a good time to do that.

Made the call. Landing fee = $160. Ramp fee = $40 Those are non-negotiable. Signature charges another $27.50 but will waive that if you buy a little fuel.

Do a full stop and taxi back and you should be OK for free and can say you landed at KSFO. Call the tower and find out what would be a good time to do that.

You called? For me? That is so nice. Now don't let that fool you into thinking I'm gonna try this. Oh and about calling towers: I called the tower from the FBO in San Luis Obispo and they never answered. I could see them from where I was standing and they were eating sandwiches. So I'm not sure if I call SFO that they will answer. Also, due to Henning's comments, I would take the 180hp converstion kit 172 which goes faster.

You called? For me? That is so nice. Now don't let that fool you into thinking I'm gonna try this. Oh and about calling towers: I called the tower from the FBO in San Luis Obispo and they never answered. I could see them from where I was standing and they were eating sandwiches. So I'm not sure if I call SFO that they will answer. Also, due to Henning's comments, I would take the 180hp converstion kit 172 which goes faster.

I call towers, TRACONs, and Centers whenever I have a question. They are happy to talk to pilots.

SFO is a runway I would advocate a touch and go. There is a place for everything in the universe, and this is the place for a touch and go. There is absolutely no reason to rush or hit the brakes. Take you time, keep it rolling ahead as it decelerates and you reconfigure. When you are satisfied with the configuration check the carb heat one last time whether you use it or not, and only then add throttle and fly the plane off. You have a ton of space and plenty of time, the controllers are not thinking evil thoughts of you. If you do your job correctly and don't crash on they're runway or otherwise **** them off through incompetence, they will be glad you came.

2 AM would work perfect...:yesnod::yesnod::wink2:

If you want to really have fun you can ask for a multi touch and go because even a novice pilot can very safely land a 152 3 times on a single pass down a 11,000' runways. My best on 31 at LGB was 22 in a Stinson, but I was cheating and did wheelies. :D the runway was longer back then too.

show them this video

http://rmirror.net/mob/r/videos/comments/q5hu9/car_accident_nsfl/

If you go flying, that won't happen to you.

A good book you can read to get yourself acquainted with general aviation accident awareness, and how to keep yourself out of an 'at risk' category is "The last Hour" by Richard Collins.

Preflight, Personal Minimums, Fuel Planning, Weather Knowledge / Awareness and Currency / Proficiency are things you are going to hear over and over. The GA accident rate is much worse than it should be but 90% of those accidents are preventable and can be traced back to a weakness in one of these areas.
Where would I find this book? I checked Amazon and "The Last hour" brings up books about the *end times* Send PM if you can find it anymore.

If you want to really have fun you can ask for a multi touch and go because even a novice pilot can very safely land a 152 3 times on a single pass down a 11,000' runways. My best on 31 at LGB was 22 in a Stinson, but I was cheating and did wheelies. :D the runway was longer back then too.

Would that count as three SFO landings in my book? Too bad if it was at night it would not get me night current.

Got to look up that word, will be right back.
Edit: Should I have said "don't be stupid about flying" instead of "it". Incongruent means two things that don't fit. An example might be a three inch square in a two inch circle is incongruent. I am a simple person, Henning, you must use smaller words:dunno:

My 6th grade teacher had the most excellent punishment, copy pages out of the dictionary. I copied the book 3 times that year.:rofl:

Would that count as three SFO landings in my book? Too bad if it was at night it would not get me night current.

That is what I was thinking. Take Ben's 2AM suggestion and it will. Full stop is full stop. If you take off, land, and stop three times, then yes, you are current.

That is what I was thinking. Take Ben's 2AM suggestion and it will. Full stop is full stop. If you take off, land, and stop three times, then yes, you are current.

Night would be the best time for ATC and would give you the most coolest of views, landing SFO on a clear night is spectacular. You have to do them as full stop stop and goes, but at 10 pm that won't be a problem. Pick a night where you shoot the approach towards the bay, most excellent if you start from Half Moon Bay.

Those three months of currency in my log book following the event would totally rule.

This site is great! Thanks for the input... I look forward to posting the rest of my journey towards achieving my goal. You know I was sitting at work today thinking about flying(normal for me) and was trying to figure out what it is about flying a airplane that has taken over my life? I don't travel for work and not looking to make it a career. I guess it's the challenge and even with my few hours of flying it always seems to be different every time I go up. Maybe it's the freedom.

This site is great! Thanks for the input... I look forward to posting the rest of my journey towards achieving my goal. You know I was sitting at work today thinking about flying(normal for me) and was trying to figure out what it is about flying a airplane that has taken over my life? I don't travel for work and not looking to make it a career. I guess it's the challenge and even with my few hours of flying it always seems to be different every time I go up. Maybe it's the freedom.

LOL, dude, dudette, doesn't matter, just so you know, and I have been on this board since Chuck Haeberle first opened it before the AOPA Yellow Board was closed basically over a dude with a microscopic penis named Joe; You have the all time best first thread that anyone has come on board with in the history of this board.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back