New Shoes for the Bonanza

Shuswap BC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shuswap BC
Will soon be putting new shoes on the 1996 A36, and a quick question.

Are there tire brands to completely avoid?

Some brands that are just vastly better than average?

Or does it not matter much?

I really don't follow trends holliday.
And a lot has changed in 31 years.
It has Goodyear's on it now, but I don't think that they are anything more than average.
So would consider something else if it was vastly better.
Or maybe Goodyear is another brand that was once good, but has let quality slip, and lately is junk.
So why not ask the question.

Since you obviously don't know the answer holliday, maybe go annoy someone else.
And enjoy being on ignore by me!
Bye bye

I love Desser retreads. In MY experience, they have worn very well, and the price is right.

I recommend the Desser Retreads also but be careful on a retractable since the outside dimensions of some retreads can be larger and may not fit in the wheel well.

I really don't follow trends holliday.
And a lot has changed in 31 years.
It has Goodyear's on it now, but I don't think that they are anything more than average.
So would consider something else if it was vastly better.
Or maybe Goodyear is another brand that was once good, but has let quality slip, and lately is junk.
So why not ask the question.

Since you obviously don't know the answer holliday, maybe go annoy someone else.
And enjoy being on ignore by me!
Bye bye

a bit of difference between Flight Specials and Custom IIIs.

I use Goodyear Flight Custom IIIs on the Aztec, in part because it's a heavier than the typical light plane when loaded (5200 gross).
They are Kevlar belted, wear well and I've never had an issue of any sort over the years.

However, I'm not sure I would buy a set of tires this expensive for an airplane that might be replaced within a year (understand you have a new 172 due next year)?

I use Goodyear Flight Custom IIIs on the Aztec, in part because it's a heavier than the typical light plane when loaded (5200 gross).
They are Kevlar belted, wear well and I've never had an issue of any sort over the years.

However, I'm not sure I would buy a set of tires this expensive for an airplane that might be replaced within a year (understand you have a new 172 due next year)?

That's what it's on now, and I had considered just ordering the exact same thing again...but since I do not keep up at all on tire reviews, thought I would ask before just buying.
Correct on the 172 being ordered, so the Bonanza may or may not get sold next fall, but likely will. It also depends upon how quickly I find a float plane I buy, as a part of me wants two planes, so when one is down for service/annual etc I can fly the other. Seriously considering buying an experimental on amphibs if I can find one I really like. Then the Bonanza will go for sure, I don't have room for three indoors, and really don't want one sitting around outside.

Correct on the 172 being ordered, so the Bonanza may or may not get sold next fall

Okay, so I admit I'm a little biased because you crapped all over a corporate pilot with a weird unrelated flex about income - but given you're making so much more money than all us poor suckers with terrible jobs - why in BLOODY HELL would you replace your Bonanza with a 172 of all ****ING airplanes????

In the flight school I used to use Condor tires. They're made by Michelin and the price was good. The students wore them out just as fast as they'd wear out Goodyears, and Goodyears were twice or three times the price. On private airplanes tires are often shot due to ozone cracking from sitting outdoors, lonmg before the tread wears out, so expensive tires don't make a lot of sense there either.

In my last couple of years I had some issues with Goodyears (not at the flight school). A few flats caused by leaking tubes. Puzzling, until I started looking at the tube and found chafing at one spot corresponding to a small decal inside the tire covered with a hard plastic that would get worked loose and form sharp edges that chewed into the tube. Filed SDRs a couple of times on those. Started removing the decals when replacing the tire.

Edit: Condor, not Concorde. Caffeine deficiency.

Last edited:
I would be unimpressed to see Desser retreads on a 1996 A36, despite them being a very sensible choice and good value tire. It's not fair, but it's how I feel.

Everyone shopping for a 1996 A36 will sneer at anything less than Flight Custom IIIs. It doesn't even matter if they're good tires or not (they are, I run them), when you list the plane for sale, the high cost of listening to mouth-breathing tire-kickers kvetch about the perceived quality of the tires they're wasting your time kicking, and then loudly wondering "I wonder what else he cheaped out on" makes this sort of a no-brainer $500 expense.

The FCIII's virtue-signal that you're a "no expense spared" sort of owner. Nothing else, tire-wise, really does that.

$0.02

I would be unimpressed to see Desser retreads on a 1996 A36, despite them being a very sensible choice and good value tire. It's not fair, but it's how I feel.

Everyone shopping for a 1996 A36 will sneer at anything less than Flight Custom IIIs. It doesn't even matter if they're good tires or not (they are, I run them), when you list the plane for sale, the high cost of listening to mouth-breathing tire-kickers kvetch about the perceived quality of the tires they're wasting your time kicking, and then loudly wondering "I wonder what else he cheaped out on" makes this sort of a no-brainer $500 expense.

The FCIII's virtue-signal that you're a "no expense spared" sort of owner. Nothing else, tire-wise, really does that.

$0.02

I’ve been reading Beechtalk a bunch lately and I have been really surprised (and a bit put off) by this kind of snootiness. Don’t mention Skybeacon over there - that’s for poor people.

Desser Retreads if you have adequate clearance. Best bang for the buck by far.

I replaced my last set after about 12 years, 1500 hours and a similar number of landings. Tread was still fine...but started noticing some sidewall cracking.

Shouldn't you have shoes that lace up tight when you're flying so fast? ;)
I fly over water on my crab runs....if something were to go awry....I'd need to be able to swim.

Attachments

• 098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 23
I fly over water on my crab runs....if something were to go awry....I'd need to be able to swim.

images

I’ve been reading Beechtalk a bunch lately and I have been really surprised (and a bit put off) by this kind of snootiness. Don’t mention Skybeacon over there - that’s for poor people.

Sorry you were put off. The buyer for a $300,000+ Bonanza will have certain expectations, and it will NOT be matched with practical knowledge about which mechanical things matter. They will pick the least relevant/most visible details of a plane (tires being high on that list, shortly after paint and interior blemishes) and harp on them all the way to the lowball offer, if one is even forthcoming. A prospective seller would be wise to give his market what it wants, however trivial.

It would be easier to sell a 1996 A36 Bonanza with a giant twisted rubber-band in place of an engine, than one with desser/airhawk/condor tires and tired paint. :D

Sorry you were put off. The buyer for a $300,000+ Bonanza will have certain expectations, and it will NOT be matched with practical knowledge about which mechanical things matter. They will pick the least relevant/most visible details of a plane (tires being high on that list, shortly after paint and interior blemishes) and harp on them all the way to the lowball offer, if one is even forthcoming. A prospective seller would be wise to give his market what it wants, however trivial.

It would be easier to sell a 1996 A36 Bonanza with a giant twisted rubber-band in place of an engine, than one with desser/airhawk/condor tires and tired paint. :D

Sadly, this is likely true, despite how good other brands are. Many Bonanza owners are cool people, but yes a few are arrogant jerks.
A couple summers ago, I met one of the latter type, at a fly in. He was full of criticism about my daughter's and I attire, because we weren't wearing designer clothes and $800 shoes. He felt as a fellow Bonanza owner we should be dressed up like Royalty, and certainly not in our Walmart shorts, and Costco shirts, and sandals on our feet. I just ignored him for the rest of the time we were there. I can fly just as well in $100 dollars worth of clothes, as I can in $3000 worth.

Sadly, this is likely true, despite how good other brands are. Many Bonanza owners are cool people, but yes a few are arrogant jerks.
A couple summers ago, I met one of the latter type, at a fly in. He was full of criticism about my daughter's and I attire, because we weren't wearing designer clothes and $800 shoes. He felt as a fellow Bonanza owner we should be dressed up like Royalty, and certainly not in our Walmart shorts, and Costco shirts, and sandals on our feet. I just ignored him for the rest of the time we were there. I can fly just as well in $100 dollars worth of clothes, as I can in $3000 worth.

Haha. Imagine his horror and dismay when I exit my Baron in shorts, tee shirt, and ratty New Balance. Then I take the courtesy car instead of him because I was pleasant to the FBO staff and not a mouthy jackwagon in alligator loafers.

Wow, just wow.

Haha. Imagine his horror and dismay when I exit my Baron in shorts, tee shirt, and ratty New Balance. Then I take the courtesy car instead of him because I was pleasant to the FBO staff and not a mouthy jackwagon in alligator loafers.

I spend about half my life dressed like a homeless person. ;)

It can be a bit stuffy.....you'll have to learn to look thru uppity crowd. lol .:D

It can be a bit stuffy.....you'll have to learn to look thru uppity crowd. lol .:D

I did some browsing over there once for a question I had, and chose not to join. ;)

Here people disagree with one another and bicker some, but its more like a big dysfunctional family, than pure hatred.

That right there is funny to me. Most of the Bo owner’s I know are down to earth friendly people. Every group has jerks, Cirrus, Cessna you name it. I fly my Bo in what ever is comfortable and safe. So I agree 100% with the folks that mentioned Desser. I have them on my J35 and they are great and a good deal.

That right there is funny to me. Most of the Bo owner’s I know are down to earth friendly people. Every group has jerks, Cirrus, Cessna you name it. I fly my Bo in what ever is comfortable and safe. So I agree 100% with the folks that mentioned Desser. I have them on my J35 and they are great and a good deal.
Ok.....mea culpa. I now have a new set of Michelin's....after this (but I didn't replace the tubes....if that helps. lol).

Attachments

• IMG_3399.JPG
    IMG_3399.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 22
Ok.....mea culpa. I now have a new set of Michelin's....after this (but I didn't replace the tubes....if that helps. lol).

Flat spotted nicely on you.
I contemplated Michelin tires myself.

Tires are usually about the least considered item on my plane, until i realize that I need new ones...then I just put on the same thing coming off usually. The reason for this thread was to see what the people of this group have to say, because I don't research tires, or keep up on their technology at all. The only reason I put Goodyear's on it last time, was because they were what it already had, so no need to find out if they make them in the correct size, or if they are okay. But I always do wonder what is actually better out there.

Flat spotted nicely on you.
I contemplated Michelin tires myself.

Tires are usually about the least considered item on my plane, until i realize that I need new ones...then I just put on the same thing coming off usually. The reason for this thread was to see what the people of this group have to say, because I don't research tires, or keep up on their technology at all. The only reason I put Goodyear's on it last time, was because they were what it already had, so no need to find out if they make them in the correct size, or if they are okay. But I always do wonder what is actually better out there.
I figured if I paid extra and put Michelin's on....I wouldn't flat spot them again.....lol. :D

BTW...you can request a specific brand of carcass on your Desser retreads. You might not get it but, if they have it, you will. I believe mine are flight custom III's. How's the average beech driver going to know they're retreads? :rolleyes::)o_O

You’re more patient than I am...I’d have told him to put his designer clothes somewhere it’s physically impossible.

There are some nice folks that fly Beechcrafts, the type of plane you fly may have some influence on your persona, but it doesn't determine the kind of person you are with any certainty. It's sort of an impression as much as a fact, but I find Beech people are concerned with keeping their planes up, may spend an awful lot on it, lots of gadgets, etc. and may go to the association events. They are predominately old white guys, just like most you'd see at an AOPA fly in or Oshkosh. They like to travel and are open to fun places to go. And just like most posters on any aviation forum, they like to talk more than listen as they already know about as much as they are interested in learning and many have been flying for years and are pretty much set in their habits or beliefs.

As for kids clothes, in 40 years of being a pilot, I have never heard anyone at a fly in degrade the style of kids clothes. A kid can seemingly get by with the minimum if that is what the parent wants or needs. One thing I hate to see is a family badly dressed in one way at EAA or wherever. The Mom will almost always have a hat and sunglasses the Dad often expensive sunglasses. Then come the kids, no hat, no sunglasses and likely no sun protection. I have even said something to the parent and almost always get the same excuse, "He wont keep them on." B S, that's Dad talk for let me alone so I can find the next $10,000 gadget for my plane or pickup truck. As for as Costco, its a good place to find a discount on a big tv or something, but as for as clothes, its also nice to give your child some made out of a fiber and not a plastic.

Last edited:
My mechanic told me Condors are the best tires you can get... is this not the case?

Back