New radio + a little clean-up

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
When I bought my Beech B23 last year, it had an old Val radio that was very noisy, had no memory, and no secondary monitor function. Replacing it was on my (lengthy) list of to-do items.

I decided to go with a Garmin GTR-200B radio and also do a little bit of panel cleanup at the same time. The plane already had Garmin GMA-340 audio panel installed and I didn't see any need to replace that.

Here's the "before" pic:

upload_2022-5-21_18-20-17.png

And here's the "now" pic:

upload_2022-5-21_18-21-55.png

Besides the radio, I also used some heavy-duty velcro to panel-mount my iFly 740 which interfaces to the Stratus ESG for WAAS GPS and ADSB.

Next, I wanted a back-up comm. I had the shop wire out the audio panel's COM2 lines and the coax for an unused VHF antenna to jacks on the panel above the transponder. I then fashioned a mounting bracket for my Yaesu 550 handheld radio that could be velcro'd to the panel and built audio interface cables.

With the 550 tied into the panel and connected to a good external antenna, it makes a very serviceable COM2 radio. Also, the Yaesu will receive VORs and display a CDI, so I have a backup navigation tool as well. I'm running it off aircraft 12V, but it has internal batteries so it will continue working even with a total electrical failure.

Finally, while the shop had the glare shield removed, I took the opportunity to repair some cracks in it and pretty it up a bit with some fabric:

upload_2022-5-21_18-36-30.png

Overall, I'm happy with the results. I believe I now have a very useful VFR panel with a good radio, a nice GPS display, and a backup radio/nav with an internal battery.

Next I'll probably find a spot for my Android phone. I have FltPln GO installed on it, and it would be nice to have it in view to keep a weather display up.

Last edited:
I decided to go with a Garmin GTR-200B radio and also do a little bit of panel cleanup at the same time.

GTR200B is certainly a great choice. But for your particular installation, does it have any benefit over the non-B version? I thought that the B features were mostly for if you don't have a separate audio panel.

Also, it's interesting that the "Transponder Codes" placard lists 1400 and 4000 but not 7500. Is that placard in the TCDS?

GTR200B is certainly a great choice. But for your particular installation, does it have any benefit over the non-B version? I thought that the B features were mostly for if you don't have a separate audio panel.

Also, it's interesting that the "Transponder Codes" placard lists 1400 and 4000 but not 7500. Is that placard in the TCDS?

The B version is the only one with a PMA which simplified things a bit. Plus, it has Bluetooth, which obviously the non-B does not. I probably won’t use Bluetooth very often, but it’s handy and SWMBO will probably make use of it.

Yeah, that’s a very old placard. It’s not in the TCDS. I just haven’t found a way yet to remove it without inflicting cosmetic damage.

I probably won’t use Bluetooth very often, but it’s handy and SWMBO will probably make use of it.
I'd be interested to know how well that works in that configuration. Too bad the connection between the GTR200B and the PMA340 is monaural.

Oh, another nice thing - between the junk and old wiring we pulled out, plus correcting an error on the previous W&B, I gained another 12lb of useful load and moved the CG a bit farther aft. The Musketeers are nose heavy, so much so that Beech came up with ballast for the tail, so moving the CG back is a good thing.

Wow! I haven't seen a transponder placard like that in a long time!

Well, the plane is from 1969.....

I need a way to remove it without damaging the glove box door. I might just bite the bullet, chisel it off, then repaint the door.

Well, the plane is from 1969.....

I need a way to remove it without damaging the glove box door. I might just bite the bullet, chisel it off, then repaint the door.

I found one in the glove box of my '58 182 when I first started flying it back in 2011, which is odd, because it never had a transponder in it until I got a hold of it.

The B version is the only one with a PMA which simplified things a bit. Plus, it has Bluetooth, which obviously the non-B does not. I probably won’t use Bluetooth very often, but it’s handy and SWMBO will probably make use of it.

Yeah, that’s a very old placard. It’s not in the TCDS. I just haven’t found a way yet to remove it without inflicting cosmetic damage.
Now that's been a couple of months, do you have any updated PIREPs?

Now that's been a couple of months, do you have any updated PIREPs?

I had some trouble a few weeks ago. ALL audio, intercom and radios, became distorted. Sounded like someone was talking through a rotating fan. I suspected a ground may have come loose, since the problem was common across both radios and the intercom and was present in all headphone jacks. I talked with my shop about it and the tech went in and re-seated and re-tightened the connectors (she told me they'd loosened a bit) and that seemed to cure it.

I've only been able to make one flight since that fix, but everything worked fine. The 200B radio is easy to use and sounds great. I haven't tried the Bluetooth feature yet, though. My handheld, set up on COM2, works perfectly so I'm happy with it as a backup. I have the audio output from my iFly 740b plugged into the audio panel's music input and that works well, too.

I used this stuff https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scot...treme-Fasteners-6-Sets-Pack-RFD7021/206180486 to mount the 740b and the handheld radio and man is it strong. Holds very well, even through my landing slams.

Overall I'm pleased with the installation. I just hope nothing works loose again.

I plan to rig a place to mount my phone next, so that I'll have a backup to the 740b, and I'll typically use it to keep a weather display visible. I'm running FltPlan GO on the phone. I have some space on the left side of the panel so I'll probably just velcro it there.

I had some trouble a few weeks ago. ALL audio, intercom and radios, became distorted. Sounded like someone was talking through a rotating fan. I suspected a ground may have come loose, since the problem was common across both radios and the intercom and was present in all headphone jacks. I talked with my shop about it and the tech went in and re-seated and re-tightened the connectors (she told me they'd loosened a bit) and that seemed to cure it.

I've only been able to make one flight since that fix, but everything worked fine. The 200B radio is easy to use and sounds great. I haven't tried the Bluetooth feature yet, though. My handheld, set up on COM2, works perfectly so I'm happy with it as a backup. I have the audio output from my iFly 740b plugged into the audio panel's music input and that works well, too.

I used this stuff https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scot...treme-Fasteners-6-Sets-Pack-RFD7021/206180486 to mount the 740b and the handheld radio and man is it strong. Holds very well, even through my landing slams.

Overall I'm pleased with the installation. I just hope nothing works loose again.

I plan to rig a place to mount my phone next, so that I'll have a backup to the 740b, and I'll typically use it to keep a weather display visible. I'm running FltPlan GO on the phone. I have some space on the left side of the panel so I'll probably just velcro it there.
Thanks. I'll have to remember to check back in 2 more months. :)

Back