new project.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I'm the new owner of N9712T.

Congrats! 190 serial numbers older than mine :)
This is not a 190. it is a C-150-M 1976, I bought the whole A/C for the price of the engine core. Which is ready to re-assemble with all machine work completed, and new parts bought.

This is not a 190. it is a C-150-M 1976, I bought the whole A/C for the price of the engine core. Which is ready to re-assemble with all machine work completed, and new parts bought.

I know. I was saying it is 190 serial numbers older than mine. Mine is a 1976 150M, SN 15077138 :)

Good luck with it! Sounds like a good candidate.

Photos soon! Good luck Tom

Sweet deal Tom. How much balut can it carry? ;)

It's home after a 12 hour day on the road.

Keep us posted w/ pics as you put her back together again. I'd like to see the reassembly process if you have the time to do so.

More details, please. Are you just sticking the wings etc. back on, or ? What plans do you have for renovation? And I second the request to take and post many photos of the process. Good luck with her!

-Skip

More details, please. Are you just sticking the wings etc. back on, or ? What plans do you have for renovation? And I second the request to take and post many photos of the process. Good luck with her!

-Skip
this is a total restoration, engine overhaul, ( it runs now but ) This is a long term project, and a method of keeping me broke for the near future.
Total strip and paint with new glass, and wheels and brake kit, radios, interior, as they say, the whole 9 yards.

this is a total restoration, engine overhaul, ( it runs now but ) This is a long term project, and a method of keeping me broke for the near future.
Total strip and paint with new glass, and wheels and brake kit, radios, interior, as they say, the whole 9 yards.

Sounds like you intend to build it for yourself, not to flip for profit?

Sounds like you intend to build it for yourself, not to flip for profit?
I build all my aircraft like I was going to keep it, then some body offers e too much money for them. then SWSNBN has her word. :)

My first airplane was a 150 M. It was N6359K. I bought it in 1983 to learn to fly then sold it when my wife became pregnant with our second child in 1987. I really enjoyed that little plane but I'm glad I was able to move up to something a little bigger. Hopefully you will post some pictures along of the restoration.

Today's inspection was an OMG awakening, lots of corrosion which means a lot of skin replacements.
All the plastic interior is junk. very brittle and cracking.

Oh Well, that's what we do.

Who the hell did your pre-buy?
Who needs a pre-buy when you know your buying junk.

Remember I bought this at the price of an engine core.

I think it would be great if you created a thread about buying and refurbishing this plane, complete with photos. It would be helpful to a lot of potential buyers.

As diminutive as it is, even the 150 is a ton of work to restore completely. There's a 152, a Cherokee 140, a Stinson 108, and a straight tail 172 all in various stages of restoration at my local hangout. Unless you (I don't mean YOU Tom) are serious about getting them flying, you run the real risk of life or budget getting in the way. All of the above have been sitting for at least a year, several many more than that.

But there are big fans of every type, and many our age have the means to pay for a really, really nicely done version if that happens to be their thing. I saw it several times in the C150/152 club when I belonged over there. Some pilots put ungodly amounts of money in their restorations, panel, engine, etc.
You may think they are crazy to pay $50 or even 60k for a C-150, but as far as I'm concerned anything we (buyers, Tom) can do to keep another bird from the scrap heap is A-OK by me.

I hope you restore it better than new and make a big wad of cash on the sale!

You realize that was a joke, right? ..
Yes, I knew the post was a joke.
But in reality, this aircraft was on Craig's list for 5 minutes when I saw it. I called and said I'd buy it. he told me when I picked it up that he had several buyers prior to me who wanted to have him hold it until they could come see it.
He sold it to me because he and I both knew it was priced right for a quick sale, no matter what condition it was in.

As diminutive as it is, even the 150 is a ton of work to restore completely. There's a 152, a Cherokee 140, a Stinson 108, and a straight tail 172 all in various stages of restoration at my local hangout. Unless you (I don't mean YOU Tom) are serious about getting them flying, you run the real risk of life or budget getting in the way. All of the above have been sitting for at least a year, several many more than that.

But there are big fans of every type, and many our age have the means to pay for a really, really nicely done version if that happens to be their thing. I saw it several times in the C150/152 club when I belonged over there. Some pilots put ungodly amounts of money in their restorations, panel, engine, etc.
You may think they are crazy to pay $50 or even 60k for a C-150, but as far as I'm concerned anything we (buyers, Tom) can do to keep another bird from the scrap heap is A-OK by me.

I hope you restore it better than new and make a big wad of cash on the sale!
90% of this restoration will be getting the old paint off, and putting new on. the rest will be buying new stuff. and putting it all back to together again.

90% of this restoration will be getting the old paint off, and putting new on. the rest will be buying new stuff. and putting it all back to together again.

Well, at least you're not working with an antique. ;)

Keep us posted on the progress.

Well, at least you're not working with an antique. ;)

Keep us posted on the progress.
Progress ? like in day spent unpacking the motor home?

Back