New Private Pilot

BAMABUCKHUNTER

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BAMABUCKHUNTER
Hey yall, i'm new to this forum and i just wanted to say hello (sorry if it is in the wrong section). I am a new PP ASEL i passed my checkride 5-20-09 :D:D:D and since then the weather has been crappy here so i haven't been able to go back up, its about to kill me.

Looking forward to hangin out around here. If anyone is from the Northwest Alabama area give me a holla. I currently fly out of M22.

Later

Congratulations! Come join us at Gaston's! (Just search for Gaston's here and you'll see what I m talking about.) It's only about 263NM from you.

Hey welcome! Congrats on the ticket.
Cmon over to Gastons in a few weeks if you are able.

BamaBuck:

Let me add to the Crescendo of Congrats! You're a pilot, now, and that puts you in one of the most selective and special clubs there is.

OBTW, I bought my Bonanza from a Birmingham pilot- I always thought Alabama was flat- but you've got HILLS there!

Hope to meet you, shake your hand. Folks here tend to do that, usually adds up to a lot of fun. Example- see: www.gastonsflyin.com

Best,

/s/ Spike

Congrats. It's a great accomplishment, isn't it?

Hey yall, i'm new to this forum and i just wanted to say hello (sorry if it is in the wrong section). I am a new PP ASEL i passed my checkride 5-20-09 :D:D:D and since then the weather has been crappy here so i haven't been able to go back up, its about to kill me.

Tell me about it. Weather is supposed to be really nice this weekend!

Looking forward to hangin out around here. If anyone is from the Northwest Alabama area give me a holla. I currently fly out of M22.

I've been as far as MDQ and 8A0.

Congrats. It's a great accomplishment, isn't it?

None other like it.

Tell me about it. Weather is supposed to be really nice this weekend!

Yeh it is i think me and my wife are gonna try and go either tommorrow morning or evening one for a local flight.

I've been as far as MDQ and 8A0.

MDQ is where i took my check ride at. They have a nice airport.

Congratulations!

I was just down in Huntsville over Memorial Day weekend. Yeah, the weather was full of suck. I was glad I didn't fly down, though the 1000-mile drive was a killer.

When I took my airplane home from the factory, I'd planned a stop at MDQ. Nice airport, friendly people. I was disappointed that weather stopped me at JZP - but only mildly so. I wound up not landing in Alabama at all that trip.

Congrats and welcome to the board. Love the name - would love to chat about hunting opportunities in your neck o' the woods!

Sammy's Touch and Go restaurant at Pell City (PLR) is a good lunch destination. Traffic does get a bit busy on the weekends.

Also, you can find aviation events in your area thru the EAA calendar

http://www.eaa.org/calendar/

I highly recommend joining EAA if you haven't done so already.

Yeh it is i think me and my wife are gonna try and go either tommorrow morning or evening one for a local flight.

Welcome and congrats. The weather has been tough in the SE lately. It's a good group here. Give us a real name if you don't mind

Welcome. We all understand your frustration -- a pilot, and unable to fly. You need to work on your INSTRUMENT RATING!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Enjoy the forum, and enjoy your flying.:drink:

Welcome to PoA! My first ever logged flight time was in a 172 at M22 about 10 years ago. I grew up in Killen (Center Star to be exact) and lived in Russellville when I played basketball at NW-Shoals in Phil Campbell from 98-2000.

I saw on the TimesDaily website that M22 just got a grant for some new hangars. I haven't been down there in many moons, but IIRC they could use some extra facilities down there. ;) I still fly in to MSL once or twice per year - usually once during the summer and again for Thanksgiving.

Glad to see a fellow Roll Tide'r on here! ;) Welcome aboard!

Congrats and welcome to the board. Love the name - would love to chat about hunting opportunities in your neck o' the woods!
Thank you, yeh anytime you get ready

Sammy's Touch and Go restaurant at Pell City (PLR) is a good lunch destination. Traffic does get a bit busy on the weekends.

Thank you, i have been looking for a place like this to fly into for the $100 hamburger, well more like $200 hamburger now. I haven't joined the EAA but will look into it.

Welcome and congrats. The weather has been tough in the SE lately. It's a good group here. Give us a real name if you don't mind

My name is Dallas. I'm from Red Bay,Al. I'm 23, be 24 in july.

Welcome. We all understand your frustration -- a pilot, and unable to fly. You need to work on your INSTRUMENT RATING!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Instrument is def what i'm going to work on next, but for right now i'm gonna enjoy these sunny days.

Welcome to PoA! My first ever logged flight time was in a 172 at M22 about 10 years ago. I grew up in Killen (Center Star to be exact) and lived in Russellville when I played basketball at NW-Shoals in Phil Campbell from 98-2000.

I saw on the TimesDaily website that M22 just got a grant for some new hangars. I haven't been down there in many moons, but IIRC they could use some extra facilities down there. ;) I still fly in to MSL once or twice per year - usually once during the summer and again for Thanksgiving.

Glad to see a fellow Roll Tide'r on here! ;) Welcome aboard!

M22 has undergone quite a bit of stuff, i've only been going there for the last year and couple of months. They have recently in the last couple of years got a new FBO which is really nice. Next time your around you'll have to stop in and check it out.

Almost went to PLR this weekend. It was on my list. Instead MY wife and I flew over to McCullom RYY and had lunch with my son and his family left my wife with my daughter-in-law and the grankids and took my son over to Ft. Payne. Flew back to Georgia to pick my wife up and we flew back home. Made for a nice Sunday.

Just to let everyone know i got my hard copy (looks like a credit card) license in yesterday. I figured it would take longer than this.

Wow, 2 weeks! They've REALLY improved their processing time! Congratulations again! :yes:

Wow, 2 weeks! They've REALLY improved their processing time! Congratulations again! :yes:

Yeh i was shocked when they come in this quick, took my first passenger (my wife) out flying saturday evening. It was a perfect day of flying, winds were calm and perfect. Got out and done some sight seeing around where we live.

Yeh i was shocked when they come in this quick
Really. I was surprised just now to discover my CFI-SP is in the database...less than three weeks after taking the checkride. They've really improved their processing time.

took my first passenger (my wife) out flying saturday evening. It was a perfect day of flying, winds were calm and perfect. Got out and done some sight seeing around where we live.
Yay! Let that be the first of many.

Really. I was surprised just now to discover my CFI-SP is in the database...less than three weeks after taking the checkride. They've really improved their processing time.

I just now checked, mine isn't in the database yet.

I just now checked, mine isn't in the database yet.
That's even more surprising. They usually don't issue the plastic until it's in the database. You might search by just your name, exactly as it appears on the plastic (they've been known to misspell that in the database) and not based on your address. Your address won't be attached to your record until 60 days (I think) after you've been given the opportunity to opt out of having it in there at all.

Last edited:
That's even more surprising. They usually don't issue the plastic until it's in the database. You might search by just your name, exactly as it appears on the plastic (they've been known to misspell that in the database) and not based on your address. Your address won't be attached to your record until 60 days (I think) after you've been given the opportunity to opt out of having it in there at all.

Done it that way you said with just my name and its on there. I've been checking this for a year now, finally glad to see my name. I kept hoping my student would make it on there during my training. Thanks

Sorry I missed the original round of 'welcomes' and 'congratulations'. Great to have you here!

MDQ is where i took my check ride at. They have a nice airport.
With Clyde Shelton by any chance? I took my instrument check ride with him way back in 1999! That was when that airport was designated M82 (had to go look that up in my logbook).

With Clyde Shelton by any chance? I took my instrument check ride with him way back in 1999! That was when that airport was designated M82 (had to go look that up in my logbook).

Thats who i done my checkride with. Pretty nice guy.

Some of the folks at the school I trained at here in Lawrenceville like the use Clyde. I didn't want the expense of flying over to Alabama and back just to do a check ride so I ended up using a local guy that came to me. I hear Clyde is fun though.

Some of the folks at the school I trained at here in Lawrenceville like the use Clyde. I didn't want the expense of flying over to Alabama and back just to do a check ride so I ended up using a local guy that came to me. I hear Clyde is fun though.

Yep. I thought he gave me a solid, but fair, instrument checkride. Not sure I would've called it fun though. There are three things I remember about that ride:

1. He told me exactly where he would fail me if I did something, which I promptly made sure I didn't do. :smile:

2. The bound NACO approach plate fell off my lap in the middle of an approach! Right then, I swore I'd switch to the punched hole type.

3. He guided me down to a 0/0 landing with the foggles still on. I was watching the altimeter, sweating (in October!) and making a new button hole in the seat waiting for the big crunch. :yikes: But that was the last landing of the day and I passed...

3. He guided me down to a 0/0 landing with the foggles still on. I was watching the altimeter, sweating (in October!) and making a new button hole in the seat waiting for the big crunch. :yikes: But that was the last landing of the day and I passed...

I heard that was his trademark.

He done this with me also, talked me all the way down to touchdown with foggles on. As soon as we made it to the taxiway he told me that if i could get him to the fbo alive I HAD PASSED!!!! I about Sh*t myself i was so excited kinda seemed unreal for a min there.

What is the point in having someone land 0/0 by verbal instructions? Call me a wimp, but I would refuse, and he better not bust for refusing. To hell if I'm going to trust some guy talking me down..it provides absolutely no value.

I mean seriously guys...Imagine how that would look in a NTSB report. Learning to say 'No' is a good skill, even to a DE.

Last edited:
What is the point in having someone land 0/0 by verbal instructions? Call me a wimp, but I would refuse, and he better not bust for refusing. To hell if I'm going to trust some guy talking me down..it provides absolutely no value.

I mean seriously guys...Imagine how that would look in a NTSB report. Learning to say 'No' is a good skill, even to a DE.

This DE has done over 8700 checkrides and has a lil over 40,000 + hours logged and that is all GA time no airline or military. So i trusted him talking me down, which he kept his hands on the yolk during the whole thing, i could feel him using them. I thought it was pretty fun anyways.

It depends on what kind of 'commands' he was giving: If he's saying "pull back, left, right, nose down", it's doing absolutely no good, IMO.

BUT, if he's saying "Slow to 60kts." "Turn right 2 degrees." "Descend 300fpm." etc., then he's basically using it as a "See what you can do if you actually trust the instruments!?" exercise, which is just another reinforcement tool at the end of a successful checkride.

I would imagine he doesn't do the exercise with EVERYONE either. I could see how doing the exercise with the wrong person could give a false sense of confidence as well.

This DE has done over 8700 checkrides and has a lil over 40,000 + hours logged and that is all GA time no airline or military. So i trusted him talking me down, which he kept his hands on the yolk during the whole thing, i could feel him using them. I thought it was pretty fun anyways.

It depends on what kind of 'commands' he was giving: If he's saying "pull back, left, right, nose down", it's doing absolutely no good, IMO.

BUT, if he's saying "Slow to 60kts." "Turn right 2 degrees." "Descend 300fpm." etc., then he's basically using it as a "See what you can do if you actually trust the instruments!?" exercise, which is just another reinforcement tool at the end of a successful checkride.

I would imagine he doesn't do the exercise with EVERYONE either. I could see how doing the exercise with the wrong person could give a false sense of confidence as well.

I'm sorry--the only scenario where this would have equated to useful knowledge would be:

1. You went blind
  2. You're flying an airplane with a single control
  3. The other person can't access that control
  4. That person can then talk you down via verbal instructions
Other than the above...it is a stupid pilot trick..where risk greately exceeds benefit. I wouldn't do it, no matter who asked me, even a DE on a check-ride.

I'm sorry--the only scenario where this would have equated to useful knowledge would be:

1. You went blind
  2. You're flying an airplane with a single control
  3. The other person can't access that control
  4. That person can then talk you down via verbal instructions
Other than the above...it is a stupid pilot trick..where risk greately exceeds benefit. I wouldn't do it, no matter who asked me, even a DE on a check-ride.

To each there own. No need in starting an argument. I understand where you are coming from. :smile:

Back