New PPL student-4 hours, Nerves performing stalls and landings.

I began training at the beginning of February and I fly once a week currently. I am wanting to fly more than once a week now to keep my mind sharp during this process. I have not yet done a stall on my own due to trying to get used to the weightless feeling of it. But I have been practicing slow flight. My CFI demonstrated multiple power-off stalls my last lesson to show me what it feels like leading up to one and that alone built my confidence a bit. I really really want to try them myself now because I feel it'll only get easier if I'm the one doing it. I know it just takes practice and experience to really get a hold on the physical sensation that comes with the stall but I am doubting my abilities! I just want to get past this nervousness! Also, landings. I have virtually no issues with performing the takeoff but when it comes to landing I get clammy hands and my legs get shaky thinking I'm going to crash into the runway. Any advice from people who have experienced this or just anyone that can relate so I know I'm not alone? I know I'm still very early in training so it takes some getting used to but I have the irrational fear I won't ever get it. I'm so hard on myself.

Hey, One way to get over the stalls is to go over them a few times and also do it yourself. Nothing bad is going to happen with your CFI present. For the landings I 100% get the nervousness. I was nervous as hell the first landing I did. luckily I had a 3kt crosswind (almost nothing) and the first one I got used to "weather vaning" the plane and kicking it left with rudder for centerline, and right aileron to keep from blowing away from it. Luckily I didn't have a hard landing. It *could* have been better, but that comes with time, repetition and practice. Just keep training, I go twice a week to practice, or three times a week if work allows it.

Back