New Plane Checkout

you got that part basackwards, the strap bolts to the floor, and the reel is carried by the seat and is activated by the seat release handle.

Ahh yep. Hadn't looked at the diagram in a while, but it would be stupid to have the reel down on the floor. ;)

My new flight school's Cessnas have all been repaired. Don't know about my old school. The new place has never slid out from under me (fingers crossed).

For anyone owning a Cessna there is a free inertia reel upgrade to stop the seat slide during take off. Ask your Cessna dealer for the free kit.

Have a bulletin or something on this? (the free offer)

I've had two seat slide "events"

One in a PA28 and the other in a restart 172 unaffected by the AD...

It can happen regardless of the plane.

I've had two seat slide "events"

One in a PA28 and the other in a restart 172 unaffected by the AD...

It can happen regardless of the plane.

Yep, any plane I get in withe exception of the ones with fixed seat and adjustable pedals, gets a good seat wiggle, usually right before I strap in.

Not AFAIK, but to add to the other advice... from experience I will advise you of two key differences between the 152 and 172: don't ever "chop and drop" it coming over the fence.
If you have the necessary energy there is no issue with chopping the power.

For anyone owning a Cessna there is a free inertia reel upgrade to stop the seat slide during take off. Ask your Cessna dealer for the free kit.

I hope it works better than the inertia reel in my mini van.

Wow, you're flying what has to be the best equipped 152 I've ever seen. In 20+ years of working on them and flying them, I have never seen the six way seat in one, cool.

You want well equipped? I found a lead on an Archer III for rent with a Garmin G500 with synthetic vision, autopilot, engine analyzer, and air conditioning. All it's missing is the optional foot massager.... And it's slightly cheaper than the 20-years-older Archer II I rent from the local club.

I've seen discussion of air conditioning in all of the POH's I've read (except the 152), but never even heard of a real-life example before this. Not even at Edwards where they really need it.

Last edited:
You want well equipped? I found a lead on an Archer III for rent with a Garmin G500 with synthetic vision, autopilot, engine analyzer, and air conditioning. All it's missing is the optional foot massager.... And it's slightly cheaper than the 20-years-older Archer II I rent from the local club.

I've seen discussion of air conditioning in all of the POH's I've read (except the 152), but never even heard of a real-life example before this. Not even at Edwards where they really need it.

I've never seen AC on a four cylinder, but I have seen it on sixes and electric systems on twins. I only had it on one Ag plane that was someone else's. I like being warm on the east coast.:D What I would like to do is get rid of my gasoline heater that I detest being required to use and install a water jacket manifold around my exhaust to provide hot water to a automotive type heat exchanger. When I'm flying along at night and I look over, it's glowing. I've got the load I'm willing to give up.

Last edited:

I've never seen AC on a four cylinder, but I have seen it on sixes and electric systems on twins. I only had it on one Ag plane that was someone else's. I like being warm on the east coast.:D What I would like to do is get rid of my gasoline heater that I detest being required to use and install a water jacket manifold around my exhaust to provide hot water to a automotive type heat exchanger. When I'm flying along at night and I look over, it's glowing.
We've got air conditioning on the Archer III on the line at A & M:
It has air conditioning, a good autopilot that will capture a preset altitude while climbing or descending at a specified rate, dual Garmin 430s and an HSI, carburetor ice detection.

Nice, good to see. I heard of it in a DA-40 but none of the ones I flew ever had it.

Premier Aircraft sales has developed an STC only recently. I dont know how many they have converted, it has to be a small number.

My little 150 impresses with over 400lbs to fill it with after the gas tanks are topped off. I have put a man in the right seat, a friend of mine, and he said he was about 220lbs. Man oh man did it take forever to get up there into the pattern. We only did one pattern and landing. He was not super tall so the yoke almost was restriced by his girth.

You "can" put two people in a C150 or C152 but trust me I notice a huge difference when it is just me.

That 1-fiddy is a real rocket :D

If you have the necessary energy there is no issue with chopping the power.
This is true, but if you're used to a 172, you may not fully realize what's going on when carrying a little power over the fence in a 152, until you pull the throttle back. I'm not suggesting the 150 or 152 can't easily be landed with precision with idle power from abeam the numbers- I've done it.

It's not a drastic difference in most cases, but with full flaps and two adults on board and nearly full tanks, the change in descent rate might take someone by surprise. Happened to me after going back to a 152 after abandoning my first training mount, a very nice late-60s 150, for 172s. I think the checkout instructor was more worried about that- and the spinning thing- than I was (I wasn't really behind the airplane), but both differences must be considered. The 172 just glides better, and is much harder to inadvertently spin. Once you know that and respect it, the 2-seaters are fun and easy to fly.

Back