Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Peter Ha, Jan 7, 2020.
He comes up as an error on flight aware for me.
I’m seeing him on flightaware live tracking N63132.
It started there
You are logged in? I just got the error until I remembered to log in.
Thanks, never even thought about having to log back in lol.
Logged in still getting an error
I started getting the track when I logged into Flightaware.
We’ve all been over Macho Grande. With moral support you don’t end up with a drinking problem. LOL.
This thread is awesome!
Looks like he landed in Abilene shortly after 6:22. Good job Peter!
My former airplane, N63265 was the second to the last C-150 made before they became C-152's. The very last one crashed at my home airport, I had the very last one for a while...
Hope Peter will check in tonight. We are anxious to hear his report.
“Flew airplane. Did not die.”
As some of you saw I made it out this afternoon from F00 to KABI Abilene, TX. Had bit hard time starting in below freezing temp; I had to prime several times.
Was hoping to landing before night but I did landing KABI in darkness; tower was helpful giving me vectors to runway 17R.
When I left F00, there were few clouds I had to avoid; it was bit scary.
But further west I went, the clouds cleared. I was cruising at 4500 for LONG time; now I see why people don't do cross-county in 150! LOL
I found motel that shuttle me back/forth for $80. Courtesy cars are $50... ouch.
I was averaging 87nm GS according to Foreflight. Oil usage is great, still at 5quarts. Here's my gas usage:
leg#1 80nm, 8.5g
leg#2 119nm, 16.5g
199nm, 25g Total
It appears there will be stiff headwinds tomorrow.
Since, I'll have early start about 8am, i'm planning to follow the 20 Hwy, stops at:
KABI 7T7 KPEQ KVHN E35 KELP KDNA
The one thing I forgot to say about ABI is that it’s a bit of a drive to anything from the airport - food, hotel, but it’s one of the cheaper places to spend the night out towards the Permian area. Hotels can get crazy expensive once you get past ABI probably all the way to El Paso because of the oil fields.
Did you track your fuel burn rate, RPM, oil temps, oil consumption? Those are all things trained ferry pilots log so they know the airplane better. If not, when you take off next, start logging all of that. Get a sheet and note the oil level, how much you add of any, the fuel level and you’ll have real world numbers for your airplane down pretty cold by the time you get home!
Wait... What? Would not that be a rental car? Only $$ I've ever spent on a courtesy car was to top off the fuel tank when I was done... Even the one they let us take overnight in Spokane.
Good job Peter!
As you said, it looks like you’re fighting some tough headwinds again today. Flying won’t always be this slow. Just keep an eye on everything and keep it moving when you have safe flying weather.
You’re doing great! Thanks for checking in and keeping us informed.
I hope someone will chime in regarding flying the El Paso area. It might not be good to be in Mexico airspace. Flight Following might be helpful for negotiating that area. Flying South of Franklin Mountain without encroaching on Juarez airspace will be a narrow path. North of the mountain is White Sands Missile Range. A SAM in your exhaust pipe could ruin your whole day. I think ATC will be your friend in that area.
I would think you’re either well above the mountains, or inside the Charlie talking to them. I’d be on FF in any case, but if you’re landing in El Paso then you’d be talking to ATC already.
Seems Texas wants to keep me bit longer.
KABI - Abilene winds 24G34
Thought of taking off and ride out the winds until it dies down 30min west (getthereitis is REAL)... then i called pilot friend (whom I meet this trip). He advised me not to fly. I'll take his advice... and live. Noticed the winds were rocking my little 150 around so had to replace the tiedown rope with my tension gear tiedowns.
On the upside, the FBO is the nicest I've seen, big lounge chairs and WIFI. I could of slept here last night instead of paying for motel
If you want to pm your text number, I may text/call you for advise ... or words of encouragement. It does feel bit lonely out here in unknown town and terrain.
If the gusts die down I would make a go if it. I left KABI in a 172 about a week ago with 25kt winds but didn’t have the gusts. Also, 7t7 may not be the best bet for a stop. Winds can be stiff around midland Odessa. KODO, KMAF or KMDD all have a couple options to cut down on crosswind. I think KODO has self serve. Midland is a pretty quiet class c, don’t let that deter you from flying in it.
It isn't as scary as you may fear. You can actually stay out of El Paso's class C to the North and still be well South of the mountains. White Sands isn't in the business of shooting down aircraft and the restricted area/s are clearly marked.
Note to self: Don't hire Timbeck2 to write a script for a reality show.
Just saw a Mooney take off in this wind. Guess the extra power makes winds non-issue?
Also see few military Blackhawks readying for takeoff.
Very good decision Peter! Better to be safe on the ground. Hang in there you are doing great! Think of this as an adventure and enjoy the trip.
It might be that you get home just as soon anyway. Today you will be watching the cars on the interstate passing you. Seriously. Somewhere around Van Horn, the speed limit goes to 80 or 85.
The 150 is so light that the gusts and turbulence act on it a lot more than even a slightly heavier plane. You’re doing good and making good choices. Keep it up!
I see you have a Mooney, would you fly in these conditions?
A Mooney is more confidence inspiring in rough air and gusty wind but not because of the power. It is heavier and it has control push rods instead of control cables that stretch, among other differences.
In West Texas you learn to deal with winds because it’s frequently windy. With our photography work sometimes the prettiest days are also the windy ones. Crosswind runway options are helpful.
With the experience I now have in the Mooney yes. When I first got it, probably not. If I were in my 140 or a 150 I would probably be sitting there with a keyboard under my fingers just like you are instead of in the air.
That said, it is important that YOU make the decision whether you are comfortable to fly in whatever the situation. Only YOU know your experience level and comfort zone. Never let someone talk you into flying when that little bird in your brain. Is saying no.
If you’re still in ABI and get hungry, see if anyone is headed to Buffalo Gap for lunch at Perini Ranch.
Yeah, Abilene has a few more choices in eateries than Bonham.
Peter, great job finding a hole in weather and getting to Abilene!
I'm sure you're already aware, but places are farther and fewer between as you head west. The survival bag is a good idea, as is a satellite based messaging and tracking service (Spot, etc.) Early AM flight across the desert would be my recommendation. Fewer bumps, calmer air (typically), though you'll have headwinds so progress will be slower. Note that there is rain forecasted for SoCal on Thursday. (NorCal starting Wednesday).
If you want some really decent (at least in my opinion) Mexican food if you end up staying in Abilene longer, definitely go to Miguel’s Mex Tex on the west side of town. That’s my current go-to there.
Just for possible future planning, KGUP, Gallup, NM is clear and a million right now and is forecast to stay that way until early Thursday.
If the winds allow it, KODO vs KMAF for almost $2 diff in avgas. But, with winds, I’d pay the premium price and consider it insurance!