New pilot, new forum member, hello

bluestang65

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bluestang65
Hey. At the risk of sounding like a nerd, I got my license to learn how to fly earlier this month after 43 hours of training and a short checkride. What a thrill the training was. I'm in the process of joining a club at the home airport so I can access a nice aircraft for cross country and more learning. I hope I can learn a lot from this forum.

Hey. At the risk of sounding like everyone else here, I got my license to learn how to fly earlier this month after 43 hours of training and a short checkride. What a thrill the training was. I'm in the process of joining a club at the home airport so I can access a nice aircraft for cross country and more learning. I hope I can learn a lot from this forum.

Fixed it for ya. :wink2:

Welcome.

Congratulations! And welcome to POA - there are lots of good things to read and share here -

Congrats, and welcome!

A good club is the right thing to do. I joined one shortly after getting my certificate...nicer planes and usually cheaper than an FBO.

One word of advice...spend more time in the plane than on discussion boards. It's good for your sanity.

Congrats, and welcome!

A good club is the right thing to do. I joined one shortly after getting my certificate...nicer planes and usually cheaper than an FBO.

One word of advice...spend more time in the plane than on discussion boards. It's good for your sanity.

So much cheaper to hang out here though.

Your profile is a little vague. What part of the country do you live in? Maybe some can offer tips about local clubs.

Don't tell this bunch of moochers where you are, they'll show up and drink your coffee and eat your donuts...

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS you have just won a license to learn...

denny-o

Sorry, haven't gotten to the profile yet. Home is KLXT (suburban Kansas City). I'm under 30, father of two and husband of one. When I recently decided to purchase an airplane, she scoffed that I needed to find one large enough that I can sleep in it. Hence the flying club instead. It gets really hot and really cold in Missouri. I work as a district manager for a Fortune 500 auto parts distribution company.
I got my ticket because I thought it would be cool and I hoped it would give me something I can do with my Dad. He doesn't fly, but he always wanted to but we grew up very poor and my Mom didn't want him to. Hopefully, now that she's left him and he has a great income, he will get into it with me. It probably seems like TMI, but isn't everyone an open book on the Internet?
I didn't realize how much I would love looking at things from the air. I learned there was an airport less than a mile from my house that closed down 15 years ago in my first flight lesson. Never even knew it was there. Unfortunately, some of the places I want to see most are cloaked in Class B and as a new pilot, I hate to ask approach for sightseeing clearance. Maybe one day.
I'm restoring an old Ford pickup truck right now and when I update my profile and signature, I'll post my blog address in case there are any gear heads on here. One day, I'd like to build a classic Cessna, but I doubt I'd ever have the certifications to do it.

That's more than any profile would have. Hope to talk to you all soon.

Unfortunately, some of the places I want to see most are cloaked in Class B and as a new pilot, I hate to ask approach for sightseeing clearance. Maybe one day.
I'm restoring an old Ford pickup truck right now and when I update my profile and signature, I'll post my blog address in case there are any gear heads on here. One day, I'd like to build a classic Cessna, but I doubt I'd ever have the certifications to do it.

First of all, welcome. Secondly, KC Approach is one of the easiest approach facilities to deal with in the country. It's never really that busy, so as long as the controller isn't in a bad mood, they should help you out seeing what you want to see.

Welcome aboard, Captain!

There are a number of other folks on this board that hail from LXT.

Sorry, haven't gotten to the profile yet. Home is KLXT (suburban Kansas City). I'm under 30, father of two and husband of one. When I recently decided to purchase an airplane, she scoffed that I needed to find one large enough that I can sleep in it. Hence the flying club instead. It gets really hot and really cold in Missouri. I work as a district manager for a Fortune 500 auto parts distribution company.
I got my ticket because I thought it would be cool and I hoped it would give me something I can do with my Dad. He doesn't fly, but he always wanted to but we grew up very poor and my Mom didn't want him to. Hopefully, now that she's left him and he has a great income, he will get into it with me. It probably seems like TMI, but isn't everyone an open book on the Internet?
I didn't realize how much I would love looking at things from the air. I learned there was an airport less than a mile from my house that closed down 15 years ago in my first flight lesson. Never even knew it was there. Unfortunately, some of the places I want to see most are cloaked in Class B and as a new pilot, I hate to ask approach for sightseeing clearance. Maybe one day.

That's more than any profile would have. Hope to talk to you all soon.

Please, don't be reluctant to ask ATC for anything you want...the worst thing that can happen is "No." They share your interest in having every flight be safe and comfortable. Use Flight Following (Radar Assistance to VFR Aircraft, AIM 4-1-17) as much as possible. :wink2:

Bob Gardner

Where are you guys building your signature maps at?

I'm too embarrassed to do one!
You know, these are not subject to audit :ihih:
and welcome Blue. I've used your home field in the past and remember it as a very nice airport.

Fixed it for ya. :wink2:

Welcome.

Please, don't be reluctant to ask ATC for anything you want...the worst thing that can happen is "No." They share your interest in having every flight be safe and comfortable. Use Flight Following (Radar Assistance to VFR Aircraft, AIM 4-1-17) as much as possible. :wink2:

Both great statements. Welcome to POA! A great place to learn and make some friends.

Well, the map is done, but it isn't showing up. Maybe the forum software is trying to protect me from embarrassing myself again.

Last edited:
so I'll hijack the thread and say Hello to everyone too! I'm also new to the forum and looking forward to meeting some great people. Based out of KFMY in Southwest FL.

Hey. At the risk of sounding like a nerd, I got my license to learn how to fly earlier this month after 43 hours of training and a short checkride. What a thrill the training was. I'm in the process of joining a club at the home airport so I can access a nice aircraft for cross country and more learning. I hope I can learn a lot from this forum.

Another local! Im just down the road in Clinton, MO. I fly into LXT on occasions just for the fun of it. Hope to see you around!

Home is KLXT (suburban Kansas City).
My mom used to keep her Cardinal there until it was moved to East Kansas City airport. When we fly to see her now, we land at 3GV, which is closer to where she lives in Blue Springs.

It gets really hot and really cold in Missouri.
:yes: And we have blizzards, ice storms, tornadoes, floods and droughts. :D

I learned there was an airport less than a mile from my house that closed down 15 years ago in my first flight lesson.
Would that be the old Independence Airport? My mom soloed in a Champ there about 22 years ago at the age of 62. That was a fun airport for hanging out...lots of airport bums and cool airplanes. We used to eat at the restaurant there called "Mrs A's"...neat place.

The airports that I enjoy up your way are Gardner (K34) and Miami County (K81) near Paola...great BBQ on the field at Miami County. The different aviation forums have fly-ins at Miami County often...hopefully you can meet up with us sometime soon.

Welcome as well to Marc Scott. Glad to have you here. There are some great folks here with great advice and then there's Diana who will tell you how to fly inverted and paint yer toe nails:D

By the way no matter how new you are the best way is to just chime in don't feel skiddish about speaking up or asking questions.

My mom used to keep her Cardinal there until it was moved to East Kansas City airport. When we fly to see her now, we land at 3GV, which is closer to where she lives in Blue Springs.

:yes: And we have blizzards, ice storms, tornadoes, floods and droughts. :D

Would that be the old Independence Airport? My mom soloed in a Champ there about 22 years ago at the age of 62. That was a fun airport for hanging out...lots of airport bums and cool airplanes. We used to eat at the restaurant there called "Mrs A's"...neat place.

The airports that I enjoy up your way are Gardner (K34) and Miami County (K81) near Paola...great BBQ on the field at Miami County. The different aviation forums have fly-ins at Miami County often...hopefully you can meet up with us sometime soon.

It's the old Lake Winnebago Municipal. Indep Muni is totally gone. Lake Winnebago is one lone runway surrounded by the City of Pleasant Hill on one side and rock excavators on the other sides. The X markings aren't even visible anymore along with the numbers, but nearly every time I fly, I fly over that place at 1000 AGL.

Flying to Miami County with one of our salesmen was what gave me the bug to learn to fly. Just last Saturday, that's where I took my Dad for his birthday for breakfast. The whole thing would have been much cooler if I didn't fly over the place by 3 miles and have to go back - even with GPS. Guess I better spend a little more time with that thing or quit relying on it.

It's the old Lake Winnebago Municipal.

I used to instruct out of there between '83 and late '85. Nice place. Or it was. I wonder what they are going to do with it. I thought about making an offer for the land, but wasn't and still am not in a position to do so.

BTW, Welcome to the board.

I used to instruct out of there between '83 and late '85. Nice place. Or it was. I wonder what they are going to do with it. I thought about making an offer for the land, but wasn't and still am not in a position to do so.

I think the city sold it to Martin Marietta, the quarry operator, a number of years ago...

Welcome..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am guessing that the name "bluestang65 is in reference to a nice classic car ???? Ya got a V-8 in it ? :dunno::dunno:

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

The whole thing would have been much cooler if I didn't fly over the place by 3 miles and have to go back - even with GPS. Guess I better spend a little more time with that thing or quit relying on it.

Go down to Gilmore (57K). That runway is nearly impossible to find, even with a GPS. I had to circle around for about 10 minutes before I could finally find the darn thing.

And is it a Fastback? GT? Pony interior? Come on Man! We want the details. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have 2 1965 Ford Mustangs. One is an original 6 cylinder that's now a 302 T5 car. I also bought a real authentic (1 of 1,500) 1965 GT convertible. It's all original, 289, toploader, and of course the GT package. Runs and drives but needs to be restored to get the full effect. I still enjoy it when it's too windy or on a warm IFR day.

I'm also restoring a 1966 Ford F100 pickup that was my grandpa's. I have it torn completely apart and I'm doing a frame-off restoration and adding a 5.4L DOHC and 5 speed transmission. I also have added late model crown victoria front suspension. There's not much to look at, but I blog it anyway. When the frame is back together, it will be more interesting.
www.bluestang65.blogspot.com

And finally, I just bought an all original 1953 Ford F100. It's a straight 6 automatic. Should have it up and running in the next few weeks.

And I got my license in my spare time ;).

BTW, Welcome to the board.

They haven't wiped it off the map yet, but no one knows what they'll do with it. If I could talk Pleasant Hill, Greenwood and Lake Winnebago into splitting the costs of the place, it would be the perfect place for a little fly-in restaurant and some hangers to take some of the pressure off LXT. I'd throw up some T hangers and maybe an enclosed set and rent them cheap.
There were some trees growing through the northwest end of the runway, but then recently someone knocked them down and hauled them off. I keep hoping that one day I'll have to do an emergency off airport landing there just to check the place out because I'm so interested, but frankly, I don't even have the marbles to do a low approach below 1000 agl. I heard last time someone tried to resurrect the place, one of the locals pitched a royal fit about it.
There was also some talk about moving LXT out to the north of Pleasant Hill, but those residents were successful in their fight against the City to keep their property.

Go down to Gilmore (57K). That runway is nearly impossible to find, even with a GPS. I had to circle around for about 10 minutes before I could finally find the darn thing.

Landed there, once, just to say that I did. There wasn't enough room to turn around on the rwy without one wheel going off the side into the grass. I started to make the turn and something just didn't look right, so I stopped, shut off the engine, and climbed out. Had I gone much further, I would have ended in a ditch that was hidden by the tall grass. I had to push the plane backwards to line it back up before I could take off. That's one airport I never had trouble finding, now, because of that experience.

Landed there, once, just to say that I did. There wasn't enough room to turn around on the rwy without one wheel going off the side into the grass. I started to make the turn and something just didn't look right, so I stopped, shut off the engine, and climbed out. Had I gone much further, I would have ended in a ditch that was hidden by the tall grass. I had to push the plane backwards to line it back up before I could take off. That's one airport I never had trouble finding, now, because of that experience.

Hmm, sounds oddly familiar to what I did, except I went ahead turned around. I landed to the southwest, went all the way to the end, where there was something that looked like an ancient taxiway and used that to turn around. Ended up with grass stains on the wings from the high grass.

I have 2 1965 Ford Mustangs. One is an original 6 cylinder that's now a 302 T5 car. I also bought a real authentic (1 of 1,500) 1965 GT convertible. It's all original, 289, toploader, and of course the GT package. Runs and drives but needs to be restored to get the full effect. I still enjoy it when it's too windy or on a warm IFR day.

I'm also restoring a 1966 Ford F100 pickup that was my grandpa's. I have it torn completely apart and I'm doing a frame-off restoration and adding a 5.4L DOHC and 5 speed transmission. I also have added late model crown victoria front suspension. There's not much to look at, but I blog it anyway. When the frame is back together, it will be more interesting.
www.bluestang65.blogspot.com

And finally, I just bought an all original 1953 Ford F100. It's a straight 6 automatic. Should have it up and running in the next few weeks.

And I got my license in my spare time ;).

Between 2001 and 2004 I built four houses, added 15,000 Sq Feet of commercial space to the local FBO, and as a Class B rated contractor I was involved is various other jobs for clients.

In my spare time I built an experimental plane and stuffed an all aluminum V-8 347 stroker Ford in it. That trick only took about 3000 hours though.:cheerswine: :rolleyes:

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

Welcome aboard, <-- fresh fish here too!

What he said ^ There's some fantastic information available here, so as a new pilot I'm really glad to have it as a resource.

Another new pilot. Finished last week after 60hrs with two great CFIs. I've always been interested in flying, and living near Oshkosh, along with seemingly everyone at work being a pilot, it was inevitable. The sickness took hold last fall while flying up to Shawano for beef tips with a co-worker.

I've been lurking on the site for awhile, reading the stories, and tips for training. Very nice site.

Back