New Pilot in Northern VA

Morteza Irdmosua

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FASTF1>>>
Hello,

I have had a dream since I was a child and I was able to finally realize this dream (I was playing Flight Simulator 2000 when I was 10). I wanted to introduce myself and get to know local people here and possibly network with more pilots. I fly out of Manassas (KHEF). I have a passion for flying and working on my instrument immediately after my PPL. My goal is to learn a lot on these boards and hopefully meet some flying buddies.

Look forward to using this website.

Aviation Adventures actually. Almost checked out in an SR22 as well.

I'll rephrase: You said, "...working on my instrument immediately after my PPL..."
So are you finished with your PPL yet? (And whatever you do, don't say "license." Some people here are persnickety about that word. ;)

Yes sir, done with my PPL and starting my IFR with SR22 checkout and ground school already.

Welcome to PoA. AvAd is as good as it gets, see you around the SFRA.

Thank you sir. I would love to hear local events and group. flying with pilot enthusiasts sounds awesome.

Welcome!

There's a DC Pilots group on Yahoo groups that is good for local info.

Congrats on PPL. All the best with the Instrument training!

How far out are you having to schedule? I've been trying to get an hour with any cfi at KHEF AvAd to finish my Sfra checkout for a few weeks and so far no luck. No way I can even consider starting on an IR with them with their current lack of instructors.

Dulles Aviation, American Aviation, and Aviation Adventures are the 3 fight schools at HEF that I know of. There are about a dozen or so CFIs at HEF that I've met who own their own planes but don't actively seek new students - mainly by referral kind of thing.

How far out are you having to schedule? I've been trying to get an hour with any cfi at KHEF AvAd to finish my Sfra checkout for a few weeks and so far no luck. No way I can even consider starting on an IR with them with their current lack of instructors.

Just curious, what do you mean by "SFRA check out"? Once you do the online course and print your card out, file an SFRA flight plan, call ground and they'll give you the squawk code. Then its like normal VFR except you have a squawk code that you keep until clear of the SFRA.

Last edited:
Let me add my welcome to the mix. I'm based out of HEF (my hangar is on the East side) and got my IR at AvAd.

I'd also like to invite you to visit out EAA chapter on the field-- http://eaa186.org/. We generally meet the last Saturday of the month 10-12 and the chapter house us next to the tower to the west ramp.

I was speaking specifically about availability at Aviation Adventures. The SFRA checkout to which I refer is to meet the rental requirements for AvAd. Being a rusty pilot I didn't knock out everything for their checkout in the first hour I went up.

Dulles Aviation, American Aviation, and Aviation Adventures are the 3 fight schools at HEF that I know of. There are about a dozen or so CFIs at HEF that I've met who own their own planes but don't actively seek new students - mainly by referral kind of thing.

Just curious, what do you mean by "SFRA check out"? Once you do the online course and print your card out, file an SFRA flight plan, call ground and they'll give you the squawk code. Then its like normal VFR except you have a squawk code that you keep until clear of the SFRA.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes, I am going on a trip outside of the country, but I will catch back up on some of the suggestions when I get back. Awesome to connect with aviators.

Back