New Pilatus PC-24

That was the biggest waste of 10 minutes ever. I thought it was going to be the legs bringing the airplane to Portsmouth. About 1/2 way through it dawned on me it’s the same damn airport.
You wound have wasted those 10 minutes anyway. I could send you a video of me landing at Portsmouth but it's not a particularly interesting airport.

One cool thing I learned today. I already knew that they were going to incorporate the big cargo door that made the PC-12 so versatile. What I didn't know was that one important design criteria was that they required that it had an engine and wing configuration that allowed cargo to be loaded by forklift.

Overall it was a fun day. It's not so much that I get invited cool events, but more that I fly an airplane for a boss that gets invited to cool events. :)

One cool thing I learned today. I already knew that they were going to incorporate the big cargo door that made the PC-12 so versatile. What I didn't know was that one important design criteria was that they required that it had an engine and wing configuration that allowed cargo to be loaded by forklift.
That forklift operator better be good at his job! There's not much margin for error.

You wound have wasted those 10 minutes anyway. I could send you a video of me landing at Portsmouth but it's not a particularly interesting airport.
I’ve landed there more times than I can count... it was the delivery aspect I was looking for.

That thing ain’t very quiet, is it? That surprised me watching the video, considering the general trend toward quieter jets.

I'm not sure what the exact requirements are for noise, but I think it has to do with decibel levels over a particular distance rather than right next to it. Higher frequencies will tend to dissipate faster than lower frequencies. Plus, when you've got a smaller jet, the fan is going to spin much faster (physics and such) so it's going to make a high pitched whine.

I find that a recording usually doesn't do a good job of accurately mimicing how loud or quiet jets/engines are. I'd imagine up close this is still pretty loud, but still meets the noise requirements.

That forklift operator better be good at his job! There's not much margin for error.

I'd imagine the forklift mast height would be the item that wreaks havoc more than anything. Nothing like focusing on missing the engine cowling and mangling the upper-door in the process.

I'd imagine the forklift mast height would be the item that wreaks havoc more than anything. Nothing like focusing on missing the engine cowling and mangling the upper-door in the process.

Yeah, I imagine long forks would certainly help.

I'm not sure what the exact requirements are for noise, but I think it has to do with decibel levels over a particular distance rather than right next to it. Higher frequencies will tend to dissipate faster than lower frequencies. Plus, when you've got a smaller jet, the fan is going to spin much faster (physics and such) so it's going to make a high pitched whine.

I find that a recording usually doesn't do a good job of accurately mimicing how loud or quiet jets/engines are. I'd imagine up close this is still pretty loud, but still meets the noise requirements.

Definitely a difference between dB levels and “annoying frequencies involved” levels. Ha.

Reactions: Ted
Back