New Personal Records

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
This weekend was a lot of flying. Not a personal record by any stretch, but one of the legs I flew did have a couple personal records.

1) This was the longest leg I've ever flown non-stop, both in terms of direct distance (1300 nm) and actual miles flown (1380 nm):

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N228WP/history/20181020/1310Z/KCXO/KBAF

This broke my previous record by about 200 nm in terms of actual miles flown, and 150 nm in terms of straight line distance.

2) While on that leg, I had a pretty nice tailwind and was doing about 356 KTS over the ground. I figured it was possible to hit 400 over the ground in the descent. And, I was right:

44610368_906122052273_6579461006332788736_n.jpg

44672370_906122077223_1700163499906301952_n.jpg

The previous max GS on the 530 was listed at 385. So now, I hold the official record... at least per the 530. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a faster record the plane held at some point in its past.

I realize for those who fly jets, breaking 400 is a yawn, even in a slowtation with a mild tailwind. But for someone who's spent his life in prop jobs, it was pretty fun. :)

You da MAN Ted! I was excited to get a smooth 45-50 knot tailwind in the Tiger getting to 180 knots a few years ago when I had that plane! All my winds in the RV7 have been head winds:confused::eek:

Those tailwinds always feel good!! I hit 400 a couple times in the 441 back in the day!!

Reactions: Ted
Did 238 knots with a 54 knot tail wind ,in my old travelair.

You da MAN Ted! I was excited to get a smooth 45-50 knot tailwind in the Tiger getting to 180 knots a few years ago when I had that plane! All my winds in the RV7 have been head winds:confused::eek:

This was about 100 kts right on the tail at FL230. I was pretty excited, the most I've had previously was about 80 kts on the tail. :)

This was about 100 kts right on the tail at FL230. I was pretty excited, the most I've had previously was about 80 kts on the tail. :)

More importantly ... were the dogs in back howling/cheering your accomplishment!;):)

More importantly ... were the dogs in back howling/cheering your accomplishment!;):)

They were mostly happy that we were almost at their drop-off point! ;)

Now what were the ground speeds coming back.??

My following westbound flight was going to Columbus, OH for another transport:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N228WP/history/20181020/2000Z/KPSM/KCMH

You can see how my ground speeds were all over the place. I started off at 14,000 ft (with fuel burn something around 80 GPH, maybe more) and then got pushed up in altitude to stay on top of weather. The FlightAware weather is semi accurate, but there was some convection and ultimately it was solid enough to keep me above it until close to Ohio. The nice thing with the MU-2 is that it's fast enough in terms of true airspeed for its optimal altitudes that even if you have a really bad headwind, it's still pretty doable to see 200+ over the ground.

The flight was plenty smooth until approach and being on final. Then it got bumpy and wind shear.

So this is probably not the thread to brag about my PA28 getting up to 165 knots.

I need to get faster squirrels to make the motor go.

So this is probably not the thread to brag about my PA28 getting up to 165 knots.

I need to get faster squirrels to make the motor go.

Just go for the turbo motor and turn the boost up. :D

No shame in 165 in a PA28.

I remember back in my solo days, I was once playing around on a windy winter day by the local VOR and being really happy about 160 over the ground. That giddy feeling is the same as the one I got going 400+, or the first time I went over 200 (in the Mooney) and over 300 (in the Commander 690, then again in the MU-2).

One of my coworkers said I should add exceeding 400 kts GS to the Ted Merit Badge Award. I said no, that doesn't meet the spirit. The Ted Merit Badge is about endurance, getting the job done, and stick and rudder/hand flying/raw data instrument skills. Going 400 is just a matter of how much money you throw at it or the right set of circumstances. It's fun, but doesn't meet the criteria for being part of the Ted Merit Badge.

Exactly. There's always someone faster than you.

Unless you're flying the SR-71. In which case, you probably have to explain why you're flying one since they've been decommissioned.

El Paso to Austin today, finally got a tailwind in the RV :). 203 knot ground speed in smooth air at 11500. Was able to work all morning and fly ... arrived at Austin 4pm their time, what a GREAT HOBBY!:D

My record is 162kts GS with 95kts indicated on 8000ft in a C172... Felt like a rocket... until I needed to partly turn into the wind over mountainous terrain for landing haha!

my record is 202 kts in the descent in a Debonair. had a pretty decent tailwind

This weekend was a lot of flying. Not a personal record by any stretch, but one of the legs I flew did have a couple personal records.

1) This was the longest leg I've ever flown non-stop, both in terms of direct distance (1300 nm) and actual miles flown (1380 nm):

I realize for those who fly jets, breaking 400 is a yawn, even in a slowtation with a mild tailwind. But for someone who's spent his life in prop jobs, it was pretty fun. :)

And for the rest of us, this is fast as hell.

I just broke my personal best yesterday at 582 nm and 590 nm actual. Max ground speed was a pathetic 163, since I had a small headwind.

So I must have missed this - when did you get the LNC4? P model or not? I’m jealous. :)

June.
Non-P. (could not get P insurance at any price)
No one is jealous of my fuel burn.

I am more jealous, of your ride.

June.
Non-P. (could not get P insurance at any price)
No one is jealous of my fuel burn.

I am more jealous, of your ride.

I’ve always been a fan of the 4, especially the P. The MU2 is a far better fit for my mission and I wouldn’t trade the two, but I might beg you for a ride someday. :)

I know this doesn't mean much to you high timers but I have over 300 hours in my rear view mirror.

I'm nearing 450, with 302 of those on my RV-9A. Hoping to get to 1000 before I hang up the headset for good. :)

I'm nearing 450, with 302 of those on my RV-9A. Hoping to get to 1000 before I hang up the headset for good. :)

When it comes to hours, quality matters a lot more than quantity in my opinion, unless you're trying to get into an aviation career. Most importantly, enjoy the ride. :)

Most importantly, enjoy the ride. :)

Right! 'S'what I've been doing, one flight at a time. Pretty soon you're looking at what you thought was a big number in the Total Hours column. Moving to a 2nd logbook was a happy surprise!

When it comes to hours, quality matters a lot more than quantity in my opinion, unless you're trying to get into an aviation career. Most importantly, enjoy the ride. :)

No argument there. :D

Yep. The milestone hours are fun, but what we can do is even more fun.

My wife is a Relationship Manager (i.e. sales ;) ), so she, and sometimes we, take her customers to events; local events. One time it was one of the college football kick-off games at the Dome in Atlanta. It's Alabama versus someone and as an Auburn alumni I have no interest in going, but she's insisting on me going, plus I was planning on going to the beach with our youngest, who loves the beach. So, my daughter and I fly to the beach anyway. We bike around St Simmons Island, have lunch, play on the beach and have a great time. We fly home, I shower, change and go to the game with my wife. As small talk someone asks what we did that day before the game. So I tell him. And he now knows that his story he was going to tell his friends and co-workers of going to corporate box at the kick-off game is no longer the coolest story of what happened that Saturday. :oops:

And that was only 3 hours of flying. :D:cool:

I think that applies to careers too... at least that’s how I’ve made decisions about my Aviation career.

Back