New PC-12, the PC-12NGX

Pilatus recently finished a new hangar on the NW end of RWY 12 at KBJC ... google maps street view still shows dirt, but it's an impressive hangar. I'll have to snap a photo next trip up.

Edit: Google images shows a number of pics

KBJC_Pilatus_Hangar.jpg

or Pilatus' page here https://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/en...s-completions-facility-in-broomfield-colorado

It’s always been my favorite single engine aircraft.

I have .6 hours in one. I found it is hard to taxi if you don't turn the yaw damper off after landing! :D

That's more like it.

Corsair would definitely be more fun, but if I had to choose between owning one or the other, I'd still pick the Pilatus. :)

Hate to ask but what's the cost?

$5.36 mil is the number I’ve seen. Since I work for a sales and service center, I’ll get my hands on one eventually.

Interesting. They're definitely having to make moves to keep up with the TBM 940 and the forthcoming Cessna Denali, and they're also capitalizing on some of the work they did for the PC24.

Their marketing people got ahead of themselves, though... "even a digital autothrottle system – the first of its kind in a business turboprop." Uh, no it's not. The TBM 940 beat ya by a few months... I'm guessing maybe the brochure copy was written before the TBM 940 was introduced.

I'm curious if their new engine control system lets you push the power lever to the stop... It looks like it does. It's not clear how you feather the prop, though, or what the engine start sequence looks like.

600 hour scheduled maintenance interval is a pretty big deal.

Interesting. They're definitely having to make moves to keep up with the TBM 940 and the forthcoming Cessna Denali, and they're also capitalizing on some of the work they did for the PC24.

Their marketing people got ahead of themselves, though... "even a digital autothrottle system – the first of its kind in a business turboprop." Uh, no it's not. The TBM 940 beat ya by a few months... I'm guessing maybe the brochure copy was written before the TBM 940 was introduced.

I'm curious if their new engine control system lets you push the power lever to the stop... It looks like it does. It's not clear how you feather the prop, though, or what the engine start sequence looks like.

600 hour scheduled maintenance interval is a pretty big deal.

It’s not really a TBM competition thing, a TBM is more of a rich guy GA plane, a PC12 is a working plane, the sims as FSI are running round the clock training folks plus looking at what’s flying out there, PC12 ain’t loosing any real traction to little turbine planes.

IMHO the auto throttle is stupid, more selling to non pro pilot owners not working pilots, just like moving all th switches from the panel on the series 9 to the ceiling, it’s really not needed just marketing to people who don’t even fly the things, now what IS NEEDED is a anti skid brakes, that plane has VERY good brakes that take little effort to lock up, and people put those planes into some small strips, being able to just go 100% brakes and not have it lock up would be nice from the standpoint as someone who worked those planes.

It’s not really a TBM competition thing, a TBM is more of a rich guy GA plane, a PC12 is a working plane

I would say that they generally trend that way, but there's a large overlap between the two. Our TBMs are most certainly working planes...

the sims as FSI are running round the clock training folks

As are the TBM sims at SimCom. Hell, I had to take the night shift...

looking at what’s flying out there, PC12 ain’t loosing any real traction to little turbine planes.

IMHO the auto throttle is stupid, more selling to non pro pilot owners not working pilots

I wouldn't mind it for the takeoff roll. Supposedly the 940, you just move it up to about 70% and it'll take over from there. That would get it to 100%... I normally set 90% or so and then go back to looking out the window, ram air rise will take it up closer to 100% but it'll never get there perfectly without the autothrottle. I suppose it could also keep things right at 100% or max temp all the time and thus assist performance a bit.

Now that I mention that, I wonder if the A/T on the 940 will run it all the way up to an ITT of 840. That would be a big drawback in my book. To quote @Ted DuPuis, "Limits are not goals." We normally run ITT below 800.

After reading that, I’m baffled by this part:

the new PC-12 NGX also offers single-lever power control with
a dual-channel integrated Electronic Propeller and Engine Control System,

So, a dual-channel electronic propeller? What’s that about? Does it make noise in stereo?

None of the PC12s have a prop lever, just power, condition and MOR (manual override)

After reading that, I’m baffled by this part:

the new PC-12 NGX also offers single-lever power control with
a dual-channel integrated Electronic Propeller and Engine Control System,

So, a dual-channel electronic propeller? What’s that about? Does it make noise in stereo?

I assume electronic propellor there is part of “engine control system” (so EPECS not E.P. and ECS). Probably just means that prop control is integrated and/or talks with the FADEC of the engine. Dual channel likely just means what it does in the FADEC world: two independent lanes of control that do agreement checking and provide fault tolerance.

Back