New Panel - you're doing it wrong

Yes, but one temp probe, one magnetometer, one antenna between the two of them AFAIK. All about that PFMEA.
Theoretically, your wet compass is supposed to back up the magnetometer. All 3 aren't supposed to be critically needed for AI functionality.

Well, it does make for a really simple partial panel scan. And a simple full panel scan too.

I like it. I'm wondering if the original equipment is just covered over though.

RE: magnometers backed by the wet compass. About a year or two ago Cirrus started shipping the SRs without a wet compass. Apparently two magnometers is all you need.

Looks like a failure at a patchwork quilt.

And I can also identify the next piece of dead avionics pretty quickly.
Clock, mechanical tach, or kx155?
It was indicating failed and instructing me to level the wings to regain its reference. It was providing no info. I thought "oh well good thing there's reversionary mode" but that too gave the same indication. I would much rather it fully fail than present erroneous information though.
Curious, how long do you have to be in a bank for it to go tango uniform?

Ergonomics, Human Factors - were completely ignored. Random spacing, out of cone of sight - "Where's Waldo" - is not valid design theory.

This is just due to not wanting to take the time or expense of cutting a new panel structure. he used the same panel and put a carbon fiber overlay on it.

Reactions: WDD
We did two GI275's (AI and HSI with all of the fancy tapes) but kept the rest of the six pack. Redundancy is good.

At a minimum, might as well leave the analog airspeed and altimeter gauges in, just in case there is some kind of weird EMP or software fault.

Having separate electronic AI's from two different manufacturers would be one way to protect against a software fault.

It was indicating failed and instructing me to level the wings to regain its reference. It was providing no info. I thought "oh well good thing there's reversionary mode" but that too gave the same indication. I would much rather it fully fail than present erroneous information though.

That would freak me out if I were flying a lot of IFR. You must have been in a bank for quite a while. I fly aerobatics with my RC Allen 2600 and it does not lose reference until about the 3rd loop or roll.

I have dual GI275's. I've had both **** the bed after I was in a bank for too prolonged of a time and they lost their reference to the horizon. Luckily I was in VMC, but could have been a big problem if I wasn't. It took them an unnerving amount of time to unass themselves, but I have a lot of other instruments & synthetic vision on my Aera 660 if push came to shove in IMC.
Is that failure mode mentioned in any of the GI275 documentation, and did you discuss the incident with Garmin? I am glad you posted this, and am also thankful for some of the comments regarding lack of redundancy. Had no idea.

I had it happen. :( it looked like this.... It wasn't fun....
p18u8ufckl16iapab186gjf1of56.jpg.optimal.jpg

I had it happen. :( it looked like this.... It wasn't fun....
p18u8ufckl16iapab186gjf1of56.jpg.optimal.jpg

I get that every time I turn on the master until it connects to everything. Did u do the software upgrade that permanently fixes this?

Did u do the software upgrade that permanently fixes this?

Direction Indicator Fail????

What, your turn signals crapped out???

No, it was the RSM that crapped out. Avionics shop replaced it and all has been working great since then. I actually have learned to like the Aspen that came with the Arrowe.

And Bill... what's a turn signal? (Nobody else in my area uses them.... why should I? :D )

I can't see any reason not to have an old fashioned airspeed indicator, altimeter, and wet compass. For IFR, a glass panel might be nice, but I'd still want a separate backup AI and DG, in addition to old fashioned airspeed and altimeter.

The OP panel seems to combine the worst features of steam and glass, without much if any of the advantages of either.

This got me thinking, so yesterday I paid more attention to my AHI while flying acro. It lost reference during a series of 4 Immelmans and split esses, but recovered reference while I was in a level 180 turn with 45 degree bank to set up for the next series. I was surprised, as I assumed it would need a period of straight and level flight to recover.

IFR ain't my thing, but if it was, I think I would prefer 2 dissimilar AHI devices with separate sensors to lessen the odds of an algorithm issue affecting both devices simultaneously.

To piggy back off your redundancy comment as I thought the same when I saw it… Wonder what percentage of 40 plus year old single engine GA planes ever fly IFR/IMC?

mine

Back