New panel layout - give your feedback

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I am looking at having a new, modern metal panel cut and installed in 2023. The main reason is to tidy up the current rather scattered layout into a logical, tidy one.

Inspired by Salty's thread, I thought I'd look for some feedback from the combined wisdom here.

It also seems like a good opportunity for a few updates, and there are a few decisions to be made.

Already pretty much decided:
- Move the 6-pack one column to the right, so it's centered over the yoke.
- Eliminate old engine gauges, replace with EDM-930.
- Eliminate aux fuel gauges, roll into the EDM-930.
- Move aux fuel and ferry fuel controls (5 switches total) together in one spot. Not sure whether to have that on the left or right. I am leaning towards the right, closer to the EDM-930 where the fuel gauges will be displayed.
- Move transponder to main stack, with the Aera 660 moved downwards.

To decide:
- Replace or refresh KX-155. I need to either refurbish it, or replace. I only ever use it as a Com-2. I am leaning towards refreshing it, including new LED screen.
- Keep or replace DME? I have never used it "in anger"; only as a bit of a novelty or nice-to-have occasionally. I plan trips through South America and elsewhere though, where perhaps it's useful. Leaning towards keeping.
- Carb temp gauge is inop. I'm leaning towards just removing it.
- Replace Cessna fuel senders with CIES fuel senders? Something of a "nice to have".

I already have a pair of USBs on the column above the fuel selector, and the audio panel offers a third USB, so I'm good for in-panel power.

Current layout:

Potential new layout (not as nicely presented as Salty's, sorry)

Similar to what I did:
Drop the VSI one spot on the panel and put the VOR/Glide slope shown for better display distance.
Moved the engine monitor on the left made it to see easier, Especially put the center warning light adjacent to the altimeter / IFD
Retained the needles for the fuel flow, MP and Tach for a quick rough check and then fine tune the engine monitor less time pressure.
Kept the King for #2, DME, transponder & autopilot
I agree - remove the old fuel gages! The old fuel gages were terrible.
I like the clock with needles at the top of the panel for approaches.
Put new lights around the dials.
The G5's had to be spaced 3/8" closer to the pilot for more space then centering the yoke, worked fine.
We had less eye travel with closer displays and easier equipment but retaining some backup gages.
Have Fun!
upload_2022-12-31_13-44-24.jpeg

- Replace or refresh KX-155. I need to either refurbish it, or replace. I only ever use it as a Com-2. I am leaning towards refreshing it, including new LED screen.
I'd replace. Something like a Trig TX56A would cut 3-4 pounds, add a few spiffy new features and talks to both the G5 and the 660. From the 660, you can push a frequency to the standby but the 660 also continuously pushes nearby frequencies into a list from where you can scroll to select on the TX56A.
- Keep or replace DME? I have never used it "in anger"; only as a bit of a novelty or nice-to-have occasionally. I plan trips through South America and elsewhere though, where perhaps it's useful. Leaning towards keeping.
If it's working and you have no other qualms, I'd lean towards keeping too.
- Carb temp gauge is inop. I'm leaning towards just removing it.
If it's the gauge itself that's inop and not the sensor, roll it into the JPI.

How about upgrading the whole airplane and buying from my 210? 3,575 TT and 125 zero time engine. six passenger, STOL, 180 MPH

I'd replace. Something like a Trig TX56A would cut 3-4 pounds, add a few spiffy new features and talks to both the G5 and the 660. From the 660, you can push a frequency to the standby but the 660 also continuously pushes nearby frequencies into a list from where you can scroll to select on the TX56A.

If it's working and you have no other qualms, I'd lean towards keeping too.

If it's the gauge itself that's inop and not the sensor, roll it into the JPI.

Some great tips, thanks. Didn't know that was an option for the JPI; I like it.

For the price of the Trig (I'd need the 56 rather than the 56A, with 8.33kHz spacing) I could just about get the Garmin Nav/Com. Any thoughts on how those compare?

For the price of the Trig (I'd need the 56 rather than the 56A, with 8.33kHz spacing) I could just about get the Garmin Nav/Com. Any thoughts on how those compare?
Garmin went a bit backwards with the GNC255 because some of those features on the right hand column are on the older SL30 but not the newer GNC255.
upload_2022-12-22_20-10-43-png.113301

https://www.trig-avionics.com/library/TX56A - US Letter - product review.pdf

Beyond that, there's a couple of things that annoy me on the GNC255. The main one is that you can either see COM frequencies or you can see NAV frequencies but not both. With the Trig, at least you can see both active COM/NAV and one standby COM or NAV.

Suggestion- with the global flying you do, keep your stock engine instruments as redundancy. Move your 830 to the bottom left in the space feed up by your 6-pack shuffle (under the newly relocated CDI). Install your fuel management to the left of it if you have room (new rectangular face plate). Put the MP back above the tach.

I love a clean panel as much as the next guy, but I don’t fly a show plane. I’m installing my 830 next month and that was my philosophy. If If my 830 acts up, I have my old instruments; If I lose a stock instrument, I may not be legal, but I’m not blind either - I can manage til I get home. Just an opinion.

Suggestion- with the global flying you do, keep your stock engine instruments as redundancy. Move your 830 to the bottom left in the space feed up by your 6-pack shuffle (under the newly relocated CDI). Install your fuel management to the left of it if you have room (new rectangular face plate). Put the MP back above the tach.

I love a clean panel as much as the next guy, but I don’t fly a show plane. I’m installing my 830 next month and that was my philosophy. If If my 830 acts up, I have my old instruments; If I lose a stock instrument, I may not be legal, but I’m not blind either - I can manage til I get home. Just an opinion.

It's a solid opinion, and you make some excellent points. Thank you!

It would also be a lot cheaper...

Last edited:
Back