New Orleans

Dbarbee

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Barbee
I may need to fly into New Orleans Lakefront airport (KNEW) in the next couple of weeks from the Tulsa, OK area. Flying in from the NW in a single engine piston 20 nm over Lake Pontchartrain doesn't sound too appealing.

For those of you in the area, or that fly there regularly, is there typical route that pilots arriving from the north/NE/NW use to avoid flying over the middle of the lake, or do you just climb high and take your chances?

It would appear that filing to Reserve VOR (RQR), and then along the coast to KNEW, would be an option but it cuts through the MSY bravo. Is ATC used to routing light singles around the lake like that?

are people actually afraid to fly 20 miles over water? I guess I'm just weird, I never would have thought about avoiding 20nm of water. but that's just me.

I fly in from the NW over the water.

You may not have a choice. Every time I've went there, they've had me out over the lake for the approach.

The water is like 100 freaking degrees right now. In the off chance you go in, you'll be fine and there's always tons of boats around.

There is a causeway/bridge that effectively bisects the lake, so you if you stay at 3000 ft you should be within gliding distance to either the shore or the causeway. If you need to ditch you can swim out of the lake unless you are in very bad physical condition.

Fly down the west side over land and they'll fly you over/through the Bravo at 1500 to land on 36. There is a commonly used corridor over the International airport.

What about the woods and swamps you will have to fly over?

When I lived in Torrance CA, flying from TOA to AVX never bothered me and it's a tad over 20nm.

Fly down the west side over land and they'll fly you over/through the Bravo at 1500 to land on 36. There is a commonly used corridor over the International airport.
Yep. Just ask for the shoreline transition and should be no problem. New Orleans approach controllers are typically very helpful.

And the water is only about 8 ft deep. When your plane sinks, the tail will still be sticking up and you can hold onto it until the boats arrive.

Seriously, It totally depends on the flow that MSY is on. If they are landing from the north / south, they will have you fly right over the middle of the field. If they are landing from the west (almost never from the east), you will be a conflict to their pattern when you are 12 miles ish to the west. What Brentee said, tell the controllers where you want to go and ask them how you can be as little of a problem for them as possible and they will be very helpful. I would recommend come in from the north near Hammond, fly down the north shore and the the causeway till you are within gliding distance of land and then jink over to Lakefront. Plan a 1K ft/min decent so you can stay high as long as possible (and hence extend your glide if needed). If you have to shoot the ILS to Lakefront, your screwed, suck it up and be at 1K ft 8 miles out over the water. What are the chances?...Right?...

I live in Baton Rouge and fly around there all the time. Don't worry about swimming. Gators will get you first. If they dont, the locals will strip your plane clean for parts so you could just hitch a ride with them

My biggest advice is, be prepared for the remarkable lack of visual reference when you are being vectored for, and flying, final for the parallel 18 runways. Between the haze and the broad lake surface, it is very like instrument flying, and spatial disorientation is a legitimate possibility.

Back