New Orleans?

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
Im going to be in New Orleans on business next week. Is there anything to do there in the evening? :D

Seriously, I'm looking for recommendations for a quiet jazz spot for dinner or some local pilot company after a busy day.

Our favorite quiet place was a bar called Cocktails,not a jazz place but small and quiet, great atmosphere and great jukebox if it is still there. it is across the river(West Bank) from the chaos of nawlins. My name is even on a brass plaque on the bar! My name is Chris btw, I might have more than one plaque(different women)
I could tell some fun stories about that place but this is a PG forum.
Here is directions if you care to venture that far.

http://businessfinder.nola.com/1585485/Cocktails-Gretna-LA

What ISN'T there to do in N'awlins, is a better question ;)

The French Quarter is loaded with goodies. I can't stand Bourbon Street, so I won't recommend that. I much prefer Frenchman Street, which is just on the outskirts of the quarter (but in walking distance!). Lots of great food and music venues.

If you like quiet, nice places for cocktails, take the trolley to The Columns on St Charles. If you like hole-in-the-walls and/or dives, well.... turn any corner and you'll find one. The Chart Room is favored by many. If you want absinthe, there's a little alley to the left of St Louis Cathedral called Pirate's Alley. About midway down, you'll find the Pirates Alley Cafe and Absinthe House.

For food? It's a win/win pretty much no matter where you go. Want something high end, check out Commanders Palace in the Garden District or Brennans in the Quarter. Something more mid-end, I like the Original Pierre Masperos. For breakfast, Mothers is fantastic. Don't let the line outside the door scare you off... it's there for a reason.

There are so many great places. Just wander around and fall into whereever you fall into. You'll have a blast.

Pretty much everything Cajun said....just go walk around and pick a place, you most likely won't go wrong. Lots of great places to eat. Got some fond fuzzy memories at the absinthe house.

Commanders Palace is badly, badly overrated and overpriced nowadays. If you go to Brennan's, do try their Banana's Foster. It's worth it. And it's just what you do :)

Thanks to all.

I was in New Orleans once before, maybe 15 years ago. Just walk was pretty much what we did. But this time, I might be trying to escape the folks I'm there with in the evenings and am trying to get some general ideas.

Commanders Palace is badly, badly overrated and overpriced nowadays. If you go to Brennan's, do try their Banana's Foster. It's worth it. And it's just what you do :)

Greatly disagree about Commanders. It's definitely not cheap, but every meal I've had there has been worth it.

But, yes, Banana Fosters at Brennan's! yum

Last edited:
I would go to Mulate's, kitty corner from the convention center. They usually have a zydeco band. We used to go,to a place called Star Steak next to the House of Blues. Looks like it's been replaced by Estrella's Steak and Lobster

Back