New Oklahoma Storms

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
This morning, a little before lunchtime, my son called to say the electricity is off at the house and the trees are littering the yard and street just like when the ice storm hit last winter. He is living in my house in Tulsa. Then, after lunch another telephone call came from Ponca City to say that Hubby's house was hit by a storm that damaged the roof and ceiling.

We gave them both permission to hit the checking account for what it takes to fix the damage.

How are Diana, John and the others in Oklahoma?

Man...that sucks Aunt Peggy. I hope everything works out ok and that it's not too exspensive to fix.

Peggy, thank you for asking! We had a monster of a cell roll over our house last night. Very vivid lightning, high winds and remarkably not one drop of rain. The only casualty of the evening was Molly, my Black Lab, who seems to have pulled a muscle begging for comfort cookies. :)

We gave them both permission to hit the checking account for what it takes to fix the damage.
I'm sorry to hear that you are having even more damage. There sure had been a lot of weather-related damage the past several months. We're STILL haggling with the insurance company over the ice storm damage. They aren't as good as we thought they would be.

How are Diana, John and the others in Oklahoma?
Thanks for asking. Here was how our evening went yesterday:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=307753&postcount=21

We got 2 1/4 inches of rain during the night. Just a few tree limbs down lately. One of the new trees we planted to replace the redbud in front of our deck was snapped in two during a storm the other night.

As dreary as it is, I'm not going to complain about the weather around here most of the year. At least it isn't anywhere near as damaging as the stuff you folks get. Take care!

Had some pretty lightning here...but no rain and we were north of most of the 4 inch hail :hairraise:

We are still hanging in here. I got up on the roof this afternoon and it looks okay. I am going to wait for a while until I have some one inspect it. We have had hail the last four days. My neighbor, half of his roof on the SW side is gone. Suckola.

Had some pretty lightning here...but no rain and we were north of most of the 4 inch hail :hairraise:

We are still hanging in here. I got up on the roof this afternoon and it looks okay. I am going to wait for a while until I have some one inspect it. We have had hail the last four days. My neighbor, half of his roof on the SW side is gone. Suckola.

Few limbs down but I'm good.
Was it a tornado? My son was at work and his wife was away, so they didn't know anything was happening at the house. My house is in the neighborhood (Brookside) hit by a tornado in 1974.

This has been the strangest year! All the best to all who have been affected by the storms this spring and winter...

This has been the strangest year! All the best to all who have been affected by the storms this spring and winter...
Jim, did any of the tornadoes make it to Bolivar?

Last night in the middle of the night Tom woke me up and said to get downstairs. I jumped out of bed and ran down the stairs bouncing off the walls before I even woke up. Yet another round of storms was coming through and he was worried about the sycamore trees (what is left of them) coming through the roof in the strong winds. The ground is so soft now after all the rain that the trees are coming out easier in the high winds. This makes a person tired the next day after all the tornado warnings the night before.

Wow sorry to hear about all the rain and all your trees up rooting Diana. If you guys don't want the rain send it our way. We could sure use it.

I didn't hear of any tornadoes in my area. It sounded like a typical thunderstorm with some wind.

Storms took out power for over 20,000 people in our vicinity yesterday (Russellville & Dardanelle) as reported by the Little Rock paper this morning. Surprised me. I checked on the airport after the storms went through (no damage) and there was no damage in my neighborhood. I didn't leave home all day so was unaware of damage elsewhere in the vicinity. I live on the eastern shore of the lake. Saw the wind really whipping the trees around but no damage. Water was gushing out of the open end of the roof gutter but not reaching the ground. The wind was mostly taking it back up over the roof.

Actually they are calling it straight line winds. The ones that hit my house were clocked at 85 mph. We didn't have power for five hours, but we were the lucky ones there. It's drying out today. :)

Back