Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Not here, I've been here a while. New member to the owning an airplane club!

After about 2 years of searching and looking at everything from Musketeers, 172s, various experimental aircraft and a few others I stumbled upon a beautiful Piper Colt. It was restored about 20 years ago and according to the owner has been hangered since. Flew great and trims out easy when I looked at it a few weeks ago. Now to set a time to go get the airplane, but while I wait I'm getting a hangar reserved at the local airport to keep it looking nice.

IMG_7063.jpeg

After about 2 years of searching and looking at everything from Musketeers, 172s, various experimental aircraft and a few others I stumbled upon a beautiful Piper Colt. It was restored about 20 years ago and according to the owner has been hangered since. Flew great and trims out easy when I looked at it a few weeks ago. Now to set a time to go get the airplane, but while I wait I'm getting a hangar reserved at the local airport to keep it looking nice.

View attachment 116880
That's a pretty airplane. But what's with the Fred Flintstone right main??

That's a pretty airplane. But what's with the Fred Flintstone right main??
lol,

Maybe its the camera perspective. The wheels that came stock on this plane were 6x6 and that is what is installed. Debating if we want to eventually add wheel pants. The sellers mom has a colt with wheel pants and it looks real nice. Although I like the simplicity of preflight without wheelpants.

Other than looks and a minimal increase in cruising speed, what are the advantages of wheel pants? I can think of several disadvantages, such as preflights you mentioned above.

Welcome to the group congrats on the nice looking airplane.

Other than looks and a minimal increase in cruising speed, what are the advantages of wheel pants? I can think of several disadvantages, such as preflights you mentioned above.
Agreed, in my brain the cons outweigh the pros with wheel pants.

Nice looking bird !! Welcome to aircraft ownership.... My condolences to your bank account....:cool:

Camarillo or Oxnard?
I'd prefer Camarillo as its literally a 3 minute drive, but I think Oxnard will have hangars available while Cam has a wait list. You know anyone there with space?

Still waiting to hear back from the lady that manages hangars.

It was definitely a blast to fly when I took it up for a test flight. Felt weird with no flaps.

That weird feeling goes away fast, Flaps on the short wing pipers are mostly cosmetic / Sales Gimmicks as I recall.
The don't affect performance much, might help a bit in trimming for landing. With short wings if you slow it down it will drop like a rock with or without flaps.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Nice looking plane! Congrats! You're fortunate to even have an option of getting a hanger space.

M2C - leave the pants off. Looks great the way it is, helps with inspecting the wheels, and with that plane you fly for fun in style. Not speed.

View attachment 116880
Nice looking Colt!

Back