New Member with a question!!

Bronson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bronson
Hello! I’m Bronson east coast native and new to the beautiful state of Oregon. 26 years old ready to take on a long time dream...to fly! I have joined in hopes to meet and learn from some experienced pilots. I would like to open conversation with a question that I have been researching online only to find answers from several years ago in which I know how everything changes so quickly. I will be purchasing an online ground school and am tore between Sportys, Kings and Gliem. I would appreciate any in-depth opinions on either Company’s experienced by anyone on here.

Thank you ahead of time and I am excited to have joined.

I used King for both Private and IFR. They worked well for me. One thing I really liked it that it won't let you move forward to the next section unless you pass a test on the current section. By the end of the course you knew, that you knew the material.

Some people find John and Martha, well, a little boring or sappy. Personally I like their on-screen presentation. YMMV.

John and Martha have been THE leaders in the field of pilot training for many years. They both have boat loads of experience in every type of flying machine. They regularly fly their corporate jet as well, trading off duties as pilot and co-pilot. When they speak they have years of training and personal experience behind their words. I think there training videos reflect this.

We’ve covered this subject atleast 2,489 times and the conclusion each time has been that they all cover the same material, they just get to grandma’s house a little differently. I used Gleim and I was happy, but I likely would’ve had the same results if I used King or Sporty’s. Gleim is also cheaper than the other two so I’d say it’s a no brainer.

I started with just the Kershner book. Provided a good foundation but I didnt feel completely prepared. I then purchased the Gold Seal PPL prep. Found out I was more of an online guy. Went through Gold Seal and scored a 90 on the test. As others of said they are all pretty good.

Hello! I’m Bronson east coast native and new to the beautiful state of Oregon. 26 years old ready to take on a long time dream...to fly! I have joined in hopes to meet and learn from some experienced pilots. I would like to open conversation with a question that I have been researching online only to find answers from several years ago in which I know how everything changes so quickly. I will be purchasing an online ground school and am tore between Sportys, Kings and Gliem. I would appreciate any in-depth opinions on either Company’s experienced by anyone on here.

Thank you ahead of time and I am excited to have joined.

Of the three you mention, I recommend King. That's what I used from commercial through ATP. (Used Sanderson before they merged with Jeppesen for private.) Never used Sporty's. I did toy with Gleim and wasn't impressed. More recently I was forced to use Gleim (company requirement) for RVSM training. Still wasn't impressed.

Check with the school you plan to do your training with. My instructor preferred Jeppesen and had a training plan to coincide with the ground School.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Martha....sweet, sweet Martha.....

My suggestion would be to find a flight school/instructor and see what they recommend. Depending on where you go you may need to use their specific materials.

If the school/instructor doesn’t have any specific material requirements I recommend the King course, but any of them should work.

I have a question about your question. When you say an online ground school, are you asking about knowledge test preparation or the ground component of flight training? There is a significant difference. "Test prep" is focused on explanation on the strategies for how to take a multiply choice test and drilling questions and answers. The course which includes the ground component of flight training will often follow a flight training syllabus, providing a way to pre-brief the next lesson and review it afterwards.

For "test prep," it doesn't matter much. Most of the offerings are good. It's all about what resonates with you.

For the ground component of flight training, it's a discussion to have with your instructor since the best way to use that one is if your instructor is willing to follow the associated syllabus. That "should" not be a big issue. Private pilot training syllabi are not all that different from each other.

Back