New Member / Student Pilot

rbhankins001

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Hello everyone.

My name is Rob Hankins and I am really glad I found this forum. I stayed up all night reading on here about different things. Lot of great info!

I am currently a student pilot w/ 14 hrs logged. I partnered on a C150L to learn in. My flying so far has been split 50/50 between KMJD, Picayune, MS (my winter home), and JNU, GST Juneau, AK to Gustavus, AK (my summer home and business).

The main reason I am learning to fly is a practical one. My work and summer residence are in the land locked town of Gustavus, Alaska. Driving my boat (I am a boat captain by trade) to Juneau and back is about 4.5 hrs travel time, and about 80 gallons of gas (Gas is $5/gallon there). In a 150 it is about a 28 minute flight (going around mountain, can go through the pass and shave off a few minutes) and roundtrip is about 6 gallons (100LL is $6.85 there).

Of course there are other reasons as well! I really enjoy flying just for the sake of flying. I can honestly say I don't know anywhere it could be more beautiful to fly than in Alaska (although we don't get the nice weather that we have down South). You really want a high wing up there so you can take in the scenery: whales, moose, beer, deer, sheep, mountains, glaciers etc.

Anyways sorry for the ramble. Just wanted to introduce myself on here and maybe network with some people from the area(s) I am flying in.

So if you fly in or around New Orleans, LA, or Juneau, AK drop me a line it would be great to meet some people into aviation.

-Rob Hankins

Welcome Rob..... This is a great place to visit with other aviation addicts:yesnod:

Ben.

Welcome to POA. Always glad to have a new person join us. Keep us posted on your training. We're always learning.

*Wave* I live in Louisiana, and make fairly frequent stops to various airports around (Lake Charles, New Orleans, Lafayette, etc..). I've also stopped in Picayune a few times now as well, for fuel while headed to and from Florida.

Danielle (my girlfriend)'s mom lives in Picayune. We'll be down that way later this year.

Rob, meet Henning.

Henning, meet Rob.

Talk among yourselves.

Rob, meet Henning.

Henning, meet Rob.

Talk among yourselves.
ROFL! Talk about tossing the new guy into the deep end!

If you're ever up near Dallas, we got a good crew that is known to buy dinner or lunch for the visitor.

Welcome!

Man, Alaska sounds great. A place where airplanes MUST be used to get around... :)

And yes, high-wings rule. :) :) :)

Rob, welcome to Pilots of America, Hope you learn a lot here and enjoy the board. What type of boat? Crab, Fishing?? Tourist?

Challenged, that's great you're from LA, what part? I'm from uptown NOLA. I bought up north to avoid storms as I'm gone half the year (coincidentally when the storms come thru) and didn't want to worry (as much).

Jesse, that is cool. It is a small town w a nice little runway (airport). My house happens to be across the street from our neighborhoods private airstrip so stop by if you don't need a long roll out and don't mind grass.

Denverpilot yes Alaska is a great place to fly. In southeast Alaska (where I'm at) you are almost always taking off and landing at sea level in cold weather so you get great plane performance (that's what they say up there anyway).

AdamZ I own a lodge and boat charter business. It is mainly fishing oriented but we also do kayaking w/ whales, glacier tours, etc etc. Plenty to see and do. Food is not bad either, we fly our chef up from New Orleans as well.

Nice meeting every one and I look forward to reading and contributing a lot to this site. I will have some great stories and photos posted soon. My Grandpa was an Air Force pilot and flight instructor who flew C130A-C130J (as I understand it) and was active duty WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (know for sure). I am awaiting copies of some pics as we speak!!

Thanks for the hospitality, over.

-Rob

Sounds like a great life to me. I currently live just outside of Baton Rouge.

Welcome to PoA. My personal opinion is that this is the best aviation community out there. Lots of great people here of all experience levels to learn from.

Is this the strip right off of Salem Rd?

You really want a high wing up there so you can take in the scenery: whales, moose, beer, deer, sheep, mountains, glaciers etc.

I'm also from Louisiana, and I know what you mean about taking in the beer! HA!

I wondered if that was gonna slip thru the cracks lol. I meant bear not beer (or did I ?).. Freudian slip maybe lol.

In regards to the strip at my house it is about 2 miles north of Picayune airport, barely west of I-59. There is a water tower at the north end that says "hide away lake". 200 acre lake just west of strip. It is currently INOP. Being used to stage equipment and supplies for some work being done in the 'hood. Should be gone soon.

-Rob

Back