New member. Just starting

CGChief

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CGChief
Good morning,

As the title says, I’m new here and just starting my PPL training (a bit later in life). I did a few discovery flights, liked one instructor and am going to my first actual lesson later today.

Thanks for the welcomes. I will fly as much as I can afford to. I hope to finish my PPL prior to mandatory retirement from the U.S. Coast Guard, but we'll see how that goes with work and finances. Very much on the plus side my wife is behind me getting my PPL and, at least for now, very supportive of the money and time I will have to spend on the process.

Welcome have fun,after all ,flying is supposed to be fun.

Welcome aboard sailor (is the CG called sailors?). Enjoy the ups and downs of the training but you'll get thru it.

Yep, we're called sailors, Coasties and other things that are not suitable for a family forum.

I was USAF and we definitely have "nicknames" that the other services called us. Army bud used to call me a "wingnut", kinda liked that one. The others not so much. :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the club

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome Chief! It's good to have spousal support. Have fun!

From a fellow Coastie, welcome to the group. You will learn a lot here.

Bob Gardner LCDR (Ret)

As mentioned above, when you aren’t flying keep learning. I read some advice early on, which was to immerse yourself in aviation to keep yourself focused and driven to finish. Hang out at the airport. Talk to other pilots and mechanics. Compliment their airplanes to strike up conversations. Don’t just be a student pilot, be a student of aviation.

Welcome to POA and flight lessons.

Have fun, immerse yourself in avaiation, don't get frustrated when you hit a learning plateau, we all got through it.

Oh, don't recite emergency checklists or make airplane sounds at the dinner table. :D

Go to www.asa2fly.com, library, complete pilot series, and click on THE COMPLETE PRIVATE PILOT, then click on the Reader Resource tab to read some information that I thought would be of interest to new pilots.

Bob

Welcome to POA, Chief. Starting later in life fits a lot of us pilots, yours truly included. Nothing wrong with that.

Have fun learning and best of luck in getting finished up before you retire. Then you and your wife can travel first class!

A lot of us have started late. Enjoy it! Thanks for your service Chief.

Welcome to the joint. You'll find this ain't no f****in family forum, lol. Now give up a few of those nicknames. Have fun and don't get frustrated at first. You'll be doing some 'hand eye coordination' things that your brain has never done before but the 'muscle memory' will come soon enough.

Good to have the spouse on board. Better if you can get her to enjoy it with you. Think of interesting places you can fly her that normally you wouldn't get to go visit. My wife doesn't care to take the controls, but loves going places. I let her pick where she wants to go on nice weekends as I am happy to fly pretty much anywhere.

Good you got an instructor you like. Any never be afraid to switch if you don't like them down the line. There are a lot of bad ones (which wastes money and time) and the good ones are priceless.

Welcome to Pilots of America.

I continue to learn a lot here; hopefully you will too.

Good to have the spouse on board. Better if you can get her to enjoy it with you. Think of interesting places you can fly her that normally you wouldn't get to go visit. My wife doesn't care to take the controls, but loves going places. I let her pick where she wants to go on nice weekends as I am happy to fly pretty much anywhere.

Good you got an instructor you like. Any never be afraid to switch if you don't like them down the line. There are a lot of bad ones (which wastes money and time) and the good ones are priceless.

She's a Chief's wife. She won't have any problem telling him what, where, and when, right Chief? Mine never does, and I was only an E7!

Good morning,

As the title says, I’m new here and just starting my PPL training (a bit later in life). I did a few discovery flights, liked one instructor and am going to my first actual lesson later today.

Welcome to POA! How did the first lesson go?

First lesson went good. Spent a bunch of time going over preflight requirements. Didn't fly much as the weather was deteriorating. But taxied out and did my first take off which happened to include a 7kt crosswind, flew the pattern and did a bumpy landing with the patient understanding of my CFI. Taxied back to the hanger where the CFI and I did a debrief and she told me everything I did right and wrong, including how to improve and what we will work on next time.

She's a Chief's wife. She won't have any problem telling him what, where, and when, right Chief? Mine never does, and I was only an E7!
Yep, I thought that after I got commissioned as a Warrant Officer she would leave me alone, but she went form Master Chief to Admiral when I went from Chief to W2.

Yep, I thought that after I got commissioned as a Warrant Officer she would leave me alone, but she went form Master Chief to Admiral when I went from Chief to W2.

Wives wear the rank too. Some even think they're a few ranks higher than they are. Amiright Chief?

Welcome, Chief. Retired Army O-5. My wife always tells me she out ranks me too. I tell her it does take much to outrank my PFC, Proud F'ing Civilian.

Good luck with the lessons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back