New Member Intro

Sunriser

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sunriser
Greetings All - New member as the title suggests.

I suspect my story is familiar- getting that license has been a long time dream.

Why now? Aspects of my life are converging so that this may become a reality. One: I'm at a point in my career where I have more time. Two: Financially I'm ahead of the curve to support this activity.

The last thing I need is a reason - I've been around a few pilot friends and know the $100 burger gets old pretty fast. I'm starting to put my eyes on a vacation home with either a private landing strip or near a small airfield. We'll see how that pans out.

Anyhow, I figured now was the time to register, lurk, and learn before posting too many newb questions. I've been online enough to know that most of my questions have been asked dozens of time before.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for the experience you guys/gals share.

Welcome ,the burger and breakfast runs ,never get old to me. Any flying is enjoyable. I fly up and down the east coast twice a year.

Welcome! Most don't mind answering the same questions again, so don't be afraid to ask something that has been asked before. Good luck with your journey! For myself with only a few years flying, it has been life changing!

We gonna be seeing you around the Bay?

Where are you training?

FYI, "burger" runs don't get old, but the best in the region is the seafood at the Half Moon Bay harbor. Easy walking distance from the airport, and it's a real nice flight as long as the weather cooperates.

Half Moon Bay is also a real good training airport if the marine layer is gone. Long, wide runway and nontrivial winds.

Most of us pilots enjoy the art of flying. It is generally the passengers who care about destination and nothing else. What I find most enjoyable about flying is a satisfying and successful landing.

What I find most enjoyable about flying is a satisfying and successful landing.

100% for me as well. Nothing beats a solid landing, or recovering from a not so solid landing.

We gonna be seeing you around the Bay?

Where are you training?

FYI, "burger" runs don't get old, but the best in the region is the seafood at the Half Moon Bay harbor. Easy walking distance from the airport, and it's a real nice flight as long as the weather cooperates.

Half Moon Bay is also a real good training airport if the marine layer is gone. Long, wide runway and nontrivial winds.

I'm going from KAUN to half moon bay on friday for a cross country lesson. I can't wait.

Greetings All - New member as the title suggests.

I suspect my story is familiar- getting that license has been a long time dream.

Why now? Aspects of my life are converging so that this may become a reality. One: I'm at a point in my career where I have more time. Two: Financially I'm ahead of the curve to support this activity.

The last thing I need is a reason - I've been around a few pilot friends and know the $100 burger gets old pretty fast. I'm starting to put my eyes on a vacation home with either a private landing strip or near a small airfield. We'll see how that pans out.

Anyhow, I figured now was the time to register, lurk, and learn before posting too many newb questions. I've been online enough to know that most of my questions have been asked dozens of time before.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for the experience you guys/gals share.

Welcome and that's pretty much my goal as well to have a country place with a strip. I have one, but the wild hogs trashed it for right now. But that's another story. :rolleyes:

If you have the scratch, the rest is just determination and ability. Start flying MSX and X-plane on the PC while you go fly. Live eat and breath flying day and night.

I'll get challenged maybe, but it does take some of the right stuff to be a good pilot. I hope you have it and have many years of fun flying. :)

I'm going from KAUN to half moon bay on friday for a cross country lesson. I can't wait.

Looks like the weather is going to be somewhere between "fabulous" and "look at the *%@#$^ instruments once in a while."

Remember, 3500 over OSI VOR from the south, 1400 just offshore from the north or transition Class B. SFO gives Class B transitions out like candy, but you're not supposed to do that as a student pilot per local procedure (though they don't really have a way of knowing -- and NorCal just might offer it to you if you're on flight following, probably with a real easy restriction either to remain west of the mountains or southwest of 101). Regs (14 CFR 91.131(b)) prohibit landing at SFO as a student, but it's too expensive anyway.

There is MUCH less airspace north of SFO than south. I don't care for the low altitude over water, and there is one spot (Pacifica, Devil's Slide) where there are a couple of miles without a good emergency landing spot. At that spot, the Class B surface area goes to the shoreline.

Last edited:
Looks like the weather is going to be somewhere between "fabulous" and "look at the *%@#$^ instruments once in a while."

Remember, 3500 over OSI VOR from the south, 1400 just offshore from the north or transition Class B. SFO gives Class B transitions out like candy, but you're not supposed to do that as a student pilot per local procedure (though they don't really have a way of knowing -- and NorCal just might offer it to you if you're on flight following, probably with a real easy restriction either to remain west of the mountains or southwest of 101). Regs (14 CFR 91.131(b)) prohibit landing at SFO as a student, but it's too expensive anyway.

There is MUCH less airspace north of SFO than south. I don't care for the low altitude over water, and there is one spot (Pacifica, Devil's Slide) where there are a couple of miles without a good emergency landing spot. At that spot, the Class B surface area goes to the shoreline.

Yeah, my instructor will be with me and he said it's going to be all me and once I leave Auburn I'm going to request transition through class B so I can stay higher. As far as weather the instructor said he would file IFR if we need too.

Howdy pardner.

Like others, I've been searching for that elusive 'private airstrip' home without breaking the bank for 30 years. I thought I found in near Fallbrook CA once, then a little later in the mtns of CO, and actually bought a lot on a private runway in TX. For one reason or another, none of them panned out. Mainly I think because I was unwilling to invest huge chunks of money in the project.

I'm closing a deal finally that should allow me to put in a small runway in NM and operate out of that part time. It is remote - and I mean like craters of the moon remote, and that seems to be the key to success on a budget.

Only advice I'd give is don't lurk too much. You'll prolly gain more by contribution, and I know I'd appreciate more contributors here.

Yeah, my instructor will be with me and he said it's going to be all me and once I leave Auburn I'm going to request transition through class B so I can stay higher. As far as weather the instructor said he would file IFR if we need too.

Well, marine layer doesn't always stay above IFR minimums at HAF, though it's better than it used to be (it has a precision GPS approach now). If it's dual and HAF is fogged in, you'll do much better to go somewhere else, like San Carlos. It's not unusual for HAF to be the only problematic airport in the region.

An IFR approach into HAF means a much longer approach. Unless you need a lot of dual hours, I would suggest doing something different if it isn't real good VFR over there. If you need a long runway, believe it or not, Oakland is a very good option. The North Field sees only GA (but it does include some jets, occasionally up to 737 size). Just don't fuel up there unless you don't care how much it costs.

But I think it's going to be real good.

Welcome, I am new here myself. Now i need to win the lottery and ill be set.

Back