New member - CFI question

LouB747

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LouB747
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Fly these 2 planes. Looking to renew my CFI that's expired. Any thoughts on this? Does it have to be in a high performance plane (the Eagle isn't)? Do I need an endorsement to take the check, or can I just do it?

I guess I should add, how do you add pictures to posts?

//http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/LouB747/c2ce71e7c0ef8784ed2ac20799cb8632.jpg

c2ce71e7c0ef8784ed2ac20799cb8632.jpg

Welcome to POA!

Just to let you know, you can't add links or attachments to your posts until you have made a few (5?) posts without them. This is to cut down on spam.

In the future, if you want to add an image from sites like Photobucket, click the icon which looks like a mountain then paste the image url.

I'm sure people will chime in to answer your CFI question.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, tried a photobucket URL. Not sure if this question is even in the right section.

Thanks for the welcome. No spammer here.

Check 61.199. It says you only need to satisfy the requirements of 61.183(h), which is the practical portion of the test. It will most likely also include oral exam. As far as I can tell, you don't need an endorsement or the written exam.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Fly these 2 planes. Looking to renew my CFI that's expired. Any thoughts on this? Does it have to be in a high performance plane (the Eagle isn't)? Do I need an endorsement to take the check, or can I just do it?

I guess I should add, how do you add pictures to posts?

//http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/LouB747/c2ce71e7c0ef8784ed2ac20799cb8632.jpg

c2ce71e7c0ef8784ed2ac20799cb8632.jpg

Thanks for the welcomes and responses. Yeah, looks like no written. I'm fine with the oral and practical. I'm just curious if it has to be in a complex airplane like the initial ride years ago. And whether I actually need an endorsement to take the ride or if I can just schedule it myself.

You might check Out American Flyers, they have a CFI renewal course that is dead easy to navigate.

Not sure if I can do a renewal. I believe that's if your current CFI hasn't expired. I could be wrong about that though.

The flight instructor PTS, page 22, will answer what tasks you need to perform. It does not need to be in a complex aircraft If you pick up another rating on your flight instructor ticket, that also reinstates all of your CFI privileges, so if you're a glider pilot, news a good time to add gliders to your CFI ticket.

Last edited:
Don't have access to that book. Maybe it's online, I'll look. I have CFI / MEI. Adding CFII seems like too much work. I really just want to call an examiner and go fly. But I'm not sure if I can do it in my Eagle as it's not complex (need 1 more HP) and also because it's experimental. That said. I'm sure the DE would prefer it over a 172RG.

Don't have access to that book. Maybe it's online, I'll look. I have CFI / MEI. Adding CFII seems like too much work. I really just want to call an examiner and go fly. But I'm not sure if I can do it in my Eagle as it's not complex (need 1 more HP) and also because it's experimental. That said. I'm sure the DE would prefer it over a 172RG.

Here you go.

http://bfy.tw/2uq

Honestly, if you don't have your CFII, that's the easiest way to go if you're a reasonably proficient instrument pilot (as I presume you should be based on your big plane). You can do the check ride in a Cessna 172. A quicky program could have you in and out in a long weekend.

I see that's an FAA document. Thanks. I guess I need a CFI endorsement to take the check.

Isn't the 74 complex? You could make that guys day showing up with one of 'em...

Here you go.

Honestly, if you don't have your CFII, that's the easiest way to go if you're a reasonably proficient instrument pilot (as I presume you should be based on your big plane). You can do the check ride in a Cessna 172. A quicky program could have you in and out in a long weekend.

Yup.

Best bang for the same buck, just get your II or MEI add on.

Here you go.

Yeah, but I bet he can do a huckuva chandelle in the Eagle!

Yeah, but I bet he can do a huckuva chandelle in the Eagle!

So true! The Eagle is a handful on the rudder though. Any power/AS change and the balls all over the place. Not sure even how to describe landings.

Not sure if I can do a renewal. I believe that's if your current CFI hasn't expired. I could be wrong about that though.
You are correct -- the term for what you want is "reinstatement". You can do that by taking any CFI practical test, either for a rating on the expired certificate or a new rating. As noted, you do not have to take a written or have an endorsement unless you're adding a rating you didn't have before, in which case you need the written for that new rating and an endorsement for that new rating. As noted, if you already have an Airplane rating, you will not have to bring a complex plane to the party. If you take the test for the Instrument rating, the plane need not be complex, and your Instrument practical test will still reinstate your existing Airplane rating, too.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron. No endorsement. No written. No complex airplane. Just go fly. What could go wrong.

I wonder if doing it in an experimental airplane would be OK. Christen Eagle has no flaps. Short field, soft field, normal takeoff and landings are all the same. No stall warning device, making slow flight interesting. No panel really, so no hood.

Maybe once around the pattern and call it a day!

Thanks Ron. No endorsement. No written. No complex airplane. Just go fly. What could go wrong.

I wonder if doing it in an experimental airplane would be OK. Christen Eagle has no flaps. Short field, soft field, normal takeoff and landings are all the same. No stall warning device, making slow flight interesting. No panel really, so no hood.

Maybe once around the pattern and call it a day!

Not exactly...just go teach. Flying is secondary to teaching (obviously you are still expected to fly to PTS standards as well). Are you comfortable teaching in the Eagle? (Does it even have more than one seat?)

As far as experimentals go, nothing's stopping you from using one for the reinstatement ride aside from finding a DPE willing to fly in one. You'll have to ask around to answer that question.

And I expect you'll have more than one turn in the patch. I expect you'll need to be prepared to demonstrate and teach virtually any of the commercial pilot maneuvers, slow flight, any of the differing types of stalls, etc. Refer to the PTS.

Well, you asked about the regs, and that's what I gave you. OTOH, when I reinstated after six years of no civilian or light plane flying, I took AOPA's Flight Instructor Refresher Course and then went to a flight school for a few hours of light plane refresher work before taking the reinstatement ride.

I wonder if doing it in an experimental airplane would be OK.
That's up to the examiner -- they can and sometimes do decline to give practical tests in E-AB aircraft, especially after they look it over and see things they don't like about it.

Christen Eagle has no flaps. Short field, soft field, normal takeoff and landings are all the same. No stall warning device, making slow flight interesting. No panel really, so no hood.
You may have trouble finding an examiner willing to give a CFI practical test in a tandem E-AB airplane. In addition, some hood work is a required part of the CFI-Airplane practical test (Area XII). The Tasks in that area could be performed with no more than needle/ball/airspeed/mag compass, but you'd better be pretty sharp on your partial-panel instrument skills, and those instruments would have to be available in the back seat (where you'd be taking the ride). Without that, the aircraft would be considered unacceptable for the test -- see 14 CFR 61.45 for the regulation which covers requirements for the aircraft used for a practical test and the CFI-Airplane PTS for the specifics on the ride you'd be taking, including all the required Areas and Tasks for a CFI-Airplane reinstatement ride.

And I really do think a Flight Instructor Refresher Course would be a really good way to bone up on all these issues (and a lot more) before getting into the flying side of returning to instructing.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the responses. Looks like I'll just rent a Cessna. I'm actually an instructor for my airline, so I'm not unfamiliar with instructing. I'm really fighting the whole refresher course thing because it almost sounds like traffic school.

Thanks again for the responses. Looks like I'll just rent a Cessna. I'm actually an instructor for my airline, so I'm not unfamiliar with instructing. I'm really fighting the whole refresher course thing because it almost sounds like traffic school.

Well, why didn't you say that to begin with? :D

You MAY have an easy way out. Contact your local Flight Standards District Office, or FSDO.

I know as a 121 Captain, I am allowed to RENEW my certificate based on that alone.

I would think that as a current 121 instructor pilot, the FSDO wouldn't have a problem reinstating it by just a visit to the office.

I don't know that for sure but it is sure worth a phone call.

Didn't know that. Problem is, I work for a Japanese Airline (NCA - Nippon Cargo Airlines). All my licenses and such are Japanese and I operate on those, even though I'm based in LAX. I do have a USA ATP with 747 type, but I don't think that will help. So not 121, but the foreign equivalent of it. Think that'll work?

While 61.197 and FAA Order 8900.1 allow renewal of an unexpired CFI ticket for current 121 captains/instructors, 61.199 does not allow reinstatement of an expired CFI ticket by any means other than a practical test. But keep this one in the back of your mind for two years from now so you don't let the one you get now expire.

Thanks Ron, looks like it's back to the 172. Guessing as I'm with a foreign airline they may not allow it anyway.

Guessing as I'm with a foreign airline they may not allow it anyway.
I'll have to dig around in 8900.1 for that answer.

...and it appears to specifically say Part 121/135 (as well as "Corporate PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 125 or part 133"), but leaves out operators not certified by the FAA (other than US military). You might still ask that question of the FSDO where you live when you're coming up on renewal.

Last edited:
Back