New Melanoma Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by NewMelanoma, Jul 18, 2017.

1. NewMelanoma

NewMelanoma Guest

Hello All,
    I just received word that my biopsy showed that a mole was a Melanoma. The long and short of it is that it is below the magic 0.75mm depth, though not far. The other good news was that the pathologist and doctor both agree that it is very contained with none of the other "magic" details that lead to greater concern.

I've reached out to the famous Dr. Bruce (Today) and plan to enlist his help if he will have me. Once I speak with him, I hope to share as much as is allowable or advisable regarding the process I go through. There are many stories, threads, and points of data online, none of which have truly helped me measure what my level of aviation concern should be for the type of diagnosis I have. I hope that my telling of the process is helpful for others.

Stay Tuned.
    NM

2. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Best of luck, NM. May it soon be NMM (no more melanoma).

3. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Good luck to ya. I had a Melanoma scare a few years ago. Fortunately the biopsy turned out negative. Everyone should see a dermatologist anytime you have a mole that looks suspicious.

4. JOhnH

JOhnH Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    My sister had a real scare about 6 years ago. She had this big black thing on her back, around 1.5 inches in diameter. Diagnosis came back "Melanoma in-situ". The Dermatologist got it all out on the first surgery and she has been fine ever since. The dermatologist said the whole office almost panicked when they first saw the diagnosis.

She still has a big scar on her back, but she looks at it as a reminder of how lucky she was, and how important it is to see her Derm every year or so.

5. Rushie

Rushie Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    So sorry about your diagnosis but glad it seems to be caught early enough to cure. Thanks for sharing the story as it unfolds, I'm sure people's stories help many more than ever post to say. Cancer seems to be stalking almost all of us.

6. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    Very sorry to hear of your diagnosis NM. The important thing now is to get it removed (if it wasn't prior to the biopsy) and to do everything possible to prevent spread/recurrence. Attend to health first, and best of luck!

On the flying end of things, you didn't say whether you were BasicMed eligible? If you are, just a FYI: cancer is NOT automatically disqualifying for BasicMed, and you would NOT need a one-time SI just because you were dx'd with it.

7. brian]

brian] Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    brian]
    I feel for you ... went through this recently myself. Focus on health first. then bitch about the FAA - worked for me ...

Good luck ... and hope we see you back in the air soon...

8. NewMelanoma

NewMelanoma Guest

Thank you everyone for your kind words! I appreciate it. I am away on work and so that makes getting this diagnosis a bit harder not being with my support network.

Answering a few questions:

They did remove the entire mole during the biopsy. The doctor prefers to increase the margin an additional 1cm and conduct pathology on it to confirm no cells got away from the original melanoma. I am having that done on Monday.

I have a second mole that I will have them evaluate as well. If that too has melanoma, then I will most definitely be heading in for a sentinel biopsy... not fun. If not, I still will likely do that as it is required for the SI, but at least we will know it is only needed from one point rather than two.

I am not sure that Melanoma is something that doesn't require an SI. I took the basic med learning course and it is specifically called out. If it is not an SI under basic med, I will likely go that route, but still be aggressive in my medical care and monitoring as I tend to be overly cautious on important thing.

Lastly, Health First. I have enough pilot friends that if I cannot regain my ability to be PIC that I can get that taste of flight occasionally. It wouldn't be the same, but being in the air is being in the air. With me not pursuing anything that amassing hours would benefit, I don't need to be logging time to enjoy it. Flying with friends is more fun anyway!

NM

9. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    I'm not sure what you mean by "specifically called out". I took the course myself (I'm flying under BasicMed) and don't recall that cancer was discussed except possibly as a health issue that should not be ignored and that MIGHT make you unsafe to operate an airplane, depending on the type of cancer and how advanced it is. You don't seem to be anywhere near that stage, though of course you have to discuss that with your doctors, just as you would for LSA, and when you go for the BasicMed exam you have to satisfy the examining doctor that your condition isn't going to cause a safety issue. But FYI, there are only a few conditions that require the one-time SI under BasicMed: certain psychiatric, neurological, and cardiac conditions. No form of cancer is included in that list. You can find the full list in Q11 of the FAA's BasicMed FAQ (just google it).

Again, it's great that you are putting your health first and being aggressive and proactive in getting this treated. Best of luck for a complete cure and a long flying life!

10. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH MELANOMA!

11. jsstevens

jsstevens En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    jsstevens
    :yeahthat:

I had a good friend in his mid 40's, healthy and fit. Had a spot on his face. Melanoma. 14 months later he was dead.

That said, it sounds like you're doing the right things and I trust your dermatologist has nailed it.

12. pmanton

pmanton Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1431A
    I'm coming up on my medical due date and need to find another doc. My guy got caught by a melanoma and was gone in 2 months !! :(

13. Agreed on not something to mess around with. I have one other mark that is somewhat suspicious that I am going to have checked out, but it looks like it is more of a normal, non-concerning mark... but I'll let the pros make that call.

My grandmother died of melanoma before I really knew her, so the message was clear from the word go when this was noticed.

NM

14. NM Original

NM Original Guest

Hello All,

I appreciate all of the well wishing from everyone on here. As of today, I am 100% Melanoma free. The additional margin taken a few weeks ago was 100% void of any cancer cells from the original excision to the final additional margin border. I had my first full body skin check and the dermatologist is very optimistic about the remaining moles on my body, but we will be seeing each other every 3 months for a full head to toe check and monitoring.

As for future treatment and the 3rd class medical, I will be going to path of Basic Med. My dermatologist is on staff at a major university medical college and works specifically with the oncology group there. In consultation with a leading researcher, she said the sentinel biopsy wouldn't be necessary unless I have a new cancer discovered and that annual MRI's seemed a bit excessive.

My quarterly visits include lymph node checks to be sure there isn't any other change.

My next stop is a GP for the physical required for Basic Med and a discussion on how we monitor my health in an ongoing manner to watch for anything else that could come up related or unrelated to melanoma, including any signs of brain issues.

Thanks again for your support!!!

Cheers,
    NM

brian], Rushie and Let'sgoflying! like this.
  15. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    NM,

Do not miss or skip your follow ups and if you sense anything at all is going wrong, or see anything anywhere that gives you concern, get it checked QUICKLY.

Melanoma took my aunt in her mid-40s. She'd had things removed, decided after doing some of the follow ups that she was "fine". Docs didn't push. And then she found a spot under an armpit.

She went in and it had metastasized and was already in the lymph nodes, was in her brain a few months later and a month or two after that, she was dead.

Do the follow ups completely and watch yourself carefully. Don't skimp. It goes too fast to stop once it gets out of control.

16. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    BTDT. Mine was shallow but there were still hoops. It's navigable but you need your ducks in a row and have a good senior AME.

17. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    I suppose some explanations in order. Tumors all derive from either normal cells are their precursors, so called "stem cells". In the case of melanoma the tumors derive from cells called melanocytes. These are the cells that make melanin, the pigment that makes our skin and hair dark. Melanocytes make melanin in response to UV radiation as a defense, UV radiation is bad for you as it can cause damage to your DNA. Thus melanocytes are being bombarded with UV all the time, making them very tough and difficult to kill, a good thing for a cell exposed constantly to DNA damaging agents.

The other side this doubly-edged sword is when they go bad, such as in melanoma, the cancer cells can be very difficult to kill. This is in contrast to some T-cell lymphomas. T-cells are an immune cell that responds to things like infection. They multiply when they're needed and die off quickly when the need is gone. The cells are easily killed, and often tumor cells derived from them are likewise.

rwellner98 likes this.
  18. Rushie

Rushie Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    Nice explanation, thanks. We had a friend die very young, in his 30s from melanoma. He was fair skinned, blue eyed and blond and had moved to Hawaii for a few years before he was diagnosed. He was one of my karate teachers. Very nice guy. I introduced him to the girl who became his wife. Then felt guilty because she was widowed so young. She never remarried.

19. rbridges

rbridges Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    rbridges
    Melanoma can be an ugly, ugly bitch. It can metastasize like you wouldn't believe. Glad you caught it early and are safe (knock on wood)!