new iPhone battery performance

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My brand new iPhone SE (MN MXVP2LL/A ;OS 13.6; Verizon network; no change in useage) has much worse battery % after a few hours' use compared to my ~4 yo iPhone SE (that one had a battery changed about 2 years ago; non-OEM battery).

So I looked at what Apple has to say about it here I came across this link while searching for 'testing iphone battery'

I will post some screenshots shortly. Looking for thoughts/experiences.
Keep in mind I am not using this phone any differently than the previous iPhone SE, so I think we'd be looking for differences in settings or hardware draws or battery quality between the two.

The screen is set to Auto-off after 2 minutes.
I am using their proximity charger.

Apple got very aggressive with battery management in recent software. Trying to make the battery last a couple more years.

Easy fix for all of them doing it. Give us back a swappable battery like the vast majority of devices on the planet or at least serviceability.

Not gonna happen though.

My brand new iPhone SE (MN MXVP2LL/A ;OS 13.6; Verizon network; no change in useage) has much worse battery % after a few hours' use compared to my ~4 yo iPhone SE (that one had a battery changed about 2 years ago; non-OEM battery).
YEP me too. charge every day or ?

I recently went in and turned off a number of programs that are constantly updating and even adjusted the length of time between updates. If you have GPS that searches constantly or the mail is set to update every few minutes the battery life will suffer. There are a number of great videos to show how and where to make some changes that will extend battery life. Admittedly my iPhone is nearly an antique being a 6.

Tom my understanding is that these are Lithium-ion batteries and we cannot overcharge them like Ni-cads. Nor do they have memory so running it between 80 and 100% constantly is not harmful.
I am also led to believe they have software so that constantly leaving them on charge is not directly a problem....but if you leave it on charge overnight, voltage will drop and then recharge; repeatedly, which is not healthy.

I could be FoS however, and seek correction on that.

I recently went in and turned off a number of programs
Yes but my question is, why the noticeable difference between my identically configured old iPhone SE and this new one.
In general terms of conserving battery life, you are right.
But these phones have the same apps running and all the same settings.

There seem to be times when iPhones apparently go through periods of high discharge. I notice that soon after setting up a new one or soon after a major OS upgrade it wants to do some sort of housekeeping and drains the battery. I also notice it right before minor iOS upgrades as if it's doing preparation stuff in the background for the update. Give it some time and it may settle down.

Tom my understanding is that these are Lithium-ion batteries and we cannot overcharge them like Ni-cads. Nor do they have memory so running it between 80 and 100% constantly is not harmful.
I am also led to believe they have software so that constantly leaving them on charge is not directly a problem....but if you leave it on charge overnight, voltage will drop and then recharge; repeatedly, which is not healthy.

I could be FoS however, and seek correction on that.

That’s exactly the cycle the manufacturers are removing in software.

They want the battery at 80% or below most of the time and are using usage data to trigger a “last push” to 100% just prior to whatever time they see you take the phone off the charger on average every morning.

Most of the laptops are getting controls for this also. Whether you even want quick charge, to what level, whether you typically use the machine as a desktop replacement or portable, whether you want an initial top off to 100%, or not...

Piles of options in the OSes that don’t assume they know your usage pattern. Fewer in Apple as they try to see how clever Joe cubical coder is. :)

The four year old Dell laptop from work here already has about half of those options. It gives some fakey numbers about how many more months the battery (properly replaceable unlike Apple’s glued in stuff) will last.

The Marketing guy at work asked the other day... do you guys have the special screwdrivers for MacBooks?

First question. Why are you opening a MacBook?

Oh the keyboard and trackpad are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch bulged upward. It’ll be “easy” to replace that battery right?

LOL LOL. No, and please throw it outside the building into the rocks if it starts smoking when you accidentally puncture that thing getting it open or off the glue. Not kidding.

Don’t bother with a fire extinguisher, it won’t work.

Three years old.

Then he pulled the miracle and convinced Apple to fix it free out of warranty and past the AppleCare “extra profit” point. LOL.

I didn’t ask how. LOL

Nate is there unsaid (or hidden to a non-techie) advice in your last post?

In general terms of conserving battery life, you are right. But these phones have the same apps running and all the same settings.

Don't know how germane it is to say this but while searching for a replacement battery for the wife's iPhone the replacement instructions said to do what I thought is no longer required:

For optimal performance, calibrate your newly installed battery: Charge it to 100% and keep charging it for at least 2 more hours. Then use your device until it shuts off due to low battery. Finally, charge it uninterrupted to 100%.

I have replaced iPhone batteries before and don't remember having to do anything like this. That quote comes from here: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone...erm=4588330742601937&utm_content=All products

That’s exactly the cycle the manufacturers are removing in software.

They want the battery at 80% or below most of the time and are using usage data to trigger a “last push” to 100% just prior to whatever time they see you take the phone off the charger on average every morning.

Most of the laptops are getting controls for this also. Whether you even want quick charge, to what level, whether you typically use the machine as a desktop replacement or portable, whether you want an initial top off to 100%, or not...

Piles of options in the OSes that don’t assume they know your usage pattern. Fewer in Apple as they try to see how clever Joe cubical coder is. :)

The four year old Dell laptop from work here already has about half of those options. It gives some fakey numbers about how many more months the battery (properly replaceable unlike Apple’s glued in stuff) will last.

The Marketing guy at work asked the other day... do you guys have the special screwdrivers for MacBooks?

First question. Why are you opening a MacBook?

Oh the keyboard and trackpad are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch bulged upward. It’ll be “easy” to replace that battery right?

LOL LOL. No, and please throw it outside the building into the rocks if it starts smoking when you accidentally puncture that thing getting it open or off the glue. Not kidding.

Don’t bother with a fire extinguisher, it won’t work.

Three years old.

Then he pulled the miracle and convinced Apple to fix it free out of warranty and past the AppleCare “extra profit” point. LOL.

I didn’t ask how. LOL
Marketing guy. Sales guy. 'Nuff said.

Nate is there unsaid (or hidden to a non-techie) advice in your last post?

On Apple iOS devices, not really. All you get is Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health -> Optimized Battery Charging ... thats the only “lever” they give you to play with. They mess with the rest.

How long have you had the phone? If you reloaded everything from your last phone, it spends a couple of days "indexing" that data. See if it still goes down so quickly after a week or so.

Back