New inspiring student pilot looking for some tips

A/c mech

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Alpha Charlie
Hello pilots/student pilots. My first post here on this forum. A little about myself;
I'm a fairly new A&P mechanic (little over a year). I work for a major airline (love my job). Absolutely love EVERYTHING about aviation! Married father of three. (2girls, and my lil buddy)
Anyways my next goal is to get my PPL then move on to maybe getting a CFI to get some "side money". I have a couple questions. What/how is the most inexpensive way to go about getting my license? I'm currently studying/reading ground school and plan on knocking that out of the way before even starting flying lessons. I talked to a flying club here in Hawthorne,Ca and may join to get flying instruction for a very good discount for trade for my A&P services. Sounds like a great deal because there is a good bunch of guys that know their $**t about GA. The only thing is that they suggested that I fly at least 3 times a week or it may be a waste of time because I "would forget more than I would learn". Don't know if I can devote $300-$400/wk to flying right now. Is this true? Should I just wait til I have about $4000-$5000 saved up just for lessons? What I would really like to do is purchase my own plane and just find a CFI to train me in my own plane. Being a mechanic takes care of most of the major costs. I really want to start lessons but financially I don't think I'm ready. Yet...
Well sorry to the long winded first post but I am real passionate and excited about aviation (DORK) haha...
Thanks Alan

Saving up at least 2/3's of the money needed to complete is a good idea. As is flying 2-3 times a week.

Saving the money in advance helps to reduce the chance that life's interruptions and the Monty need to cover it put a stop on your training.

There are two ways to go:

1) Save most of the money up in advance, so you can fly regularly en route to your certificate. The advantages here are many, but the primary advantage is that it allows you to train regularly without gaps, thereby reducing skill atrophy. The disadvantage with this approach is that you may have to wait a significant amount of time to save up the lump sum.

2) Go ahead and live your dream. Fly as money permits, and do it as steadily as possible. You'll have plenty of gaps, but there are ways to keep your head in the game. The primary advantage to this approach is that you begin taking part in your aviation dream right away. And the joy of it keeps you motivated.

While option #1 is generally recommended, I chose option #2, and I am proof it can be done. It took me 3.5 years, but I enjoyed every moment of it.

Why go out to HHR? There are some interesting looking outfits at LGB. Not quite as close to LAX either.

Look into benefits from your employer. Sometimes you get lucky. I didn't, but a few of my colleagues got a few thousand to spend at the Edwards Aero Club.

I tried once per week and quickly discovered I needed twice. And that costs close to $400 when you factor in ALL the costs. Figure $120/hour for a 172, and half that for instructor.

HHR has A&E flying club which uses A&P's which in trade waives your club dues. Also by maintenancing the aircraft, you can get a "free" hour or two here and there by "ops checking". I thought it would be a good fit for me being a mechanic. Couldn't find anything like that here at LGB. Besides I work at LAX so it wouldn't be far...
IDK I like some of the schools at LGB but the costs are WAY out of my range. It is a good training spot though. Get some commercial traffic and a good blend of GA traffic. Wish I didn't have bills cuz I get a nice check from Uncle Sam and a profit share bonus in then beginning of the year! Stupid bills!!!:mad:

Well, my guess is you're going to take a few landings at LGB regardless. Plus mixing it up with the helicopters at TOA. And given the location, there had better be some training in the SFRA or Class B or I'd be really ticked.

There is also Compton. Kinda weird having a nontowered aitport in the middle of all that messy airspace...

Trading wrenches for hours is interesting, but unless it's a lot of hours, there are more important criteria, especially quality of instruction and proximity to practice areas. Cheapest per hour is often not cheapest overall.

Are club dues really that significant? Not all outfits have club dues. If by "ops checking" you mean flying around the pattern after an annual, that's going to be well under an hour, won't likely mesh with your training needs, and is singularly inappropriate for a student pilot. I don't see how that will matter before you have your certificate.

Last edited:
2 or 3 times per week will get your there quicker and should save a little money, but many many people get their PPL flying as life permits. It just costs and takes longer. Since you have you A&P, I wounder if a smaller flight club may be willing to trade services for lessons or plane usage. Find a flight club that has a school or sets you up with a CFI, and offer aircraft maintenance services in exchange for aircraft time. In that way you may be able to make it so you are only paying the CFI and fuel not for the plane. That will likely save you half the cost of lessons. If your are looking to go all the way to CFI it will take you 60K, once you are done (PPL, Instrument, multi, HP, Complex, CFI training).

Good luck.

Get out there and start flying. With an A&P you should be able to scratch up all sorts of time. Have fun.

save up most if not all of the money beforehand. rent the cheapest plane, try to make connections around the airport and find people that own planes

You say you want to own your own plane, because as an A&P that will save you a good chunk of money? I think you might need to do a little more research on ownership costs.

As a fellow airline A&P, private pilot, and aircraft owner I can tell you that the money you would save in labor is a tiny drop in the bucket. Insurance, gas, hangar and parts cost A LOT more that you think.

I have traded many hours of work for flight hours in my 20+ years as an A&P. It is a great benefit, but you do have to have a good network of connections to make this work. But exchanging my services to save $100 a month or so on dues doesn't seem like it's worth it to me.

Good luck on flying, if nothing else, it makes you a much better mech since you will have a completely new understanding of pilots! :)

Back