New Hood

Looks like creating a problem to solve. Are people really crashing when they put on / take off view limiting devices with a safety pilot on board?

I think the idea is that this allows an IP or safety pilot to activate the device to simulate suddenly entering a cloud bank / fog, which could be more realistic than having the pilot put on a view limiting device.

I think the idea is that this allows an IP or safety pilot to activate the device to simulate suddenly entering a cloud bank / fog, which could be more realistic than having the pilot put on a view limiting device.
Even more realistic is if this thing is variable rather than a binary on/off switch.

and also to simulate slowly reducing visibility. White outs in snow or dust, etc. too. The inventor was on an episode of the taking off channel on youtube not too long ago.

Also keep in mind that in helicopters the pilot has their hands full in the landing phase & I'd imagine it could be hard for them to put on the foggles in those moments

and also to simulate slowly reducing visibility. White outs in snow or dust, etc. too. The inventor was on an episode of the taking off channel on youtube not too long ago.

Also keep in mind that in helicopters the pilot has their hands full in the landing phase & I'd imagine it could be hard for them to put on the foggles in those moments

I can see the benefit in that. You simulate brownout / white out without having to actually be in those conditions. Less wear and tear on the aircraft and safer with the other pilot being “VMC.” Probably better training than in the sim too.

They might not be using foggles though if it’s a helmet. Some use these. Takes a second to reach up and slide the visor down.
https://www.skygeek.com/seitz-vr-2a-vision-restrictor.html

Back