New here

siverscolt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sylvain
hey guys,
since im new here, let me introduce myself.
im a french private pilot, aged 33 with 1 wife and 2 kids (sadly not the opposite :D). Im planning a trip to the US next year to check by myself if the freedom of flight you guys have in this country is for real...
i decided to join this forum to get a better overview of what it is all about since it will be my first time flying there, i'm pretty sure i'll get plenty of useful tips from all of guys...
also let me publish a video of what flying in my country looks like just in case someone would be tempted (communications are in french but subtitles are available).

http://youtu.be/zfFbkLmJ46Q

Sylvain

Welcome to POA, Sylvaine. That airplane has some great acceleration at times! :goofy:

Nice airport on that island. :)

2 questions: why are the comms in French? I thought they were English everywhere. Also, was there ATC at your destination? It looked like a tiny field, but they still cleared you to land. Is that just a remote ATC facility that has control over that airport or is there ATC on field. Seemed like a CTAF destination.

2 questions: why are the comms in French? I thought they were English everywhere..
They are not even all English in Quebec. :)

I think ATC is required to know English and speak it to pilots who start out the communication in English but in many countries they speak the native language when pilots make their initial call in that language.

In France, you are free to use either french or english with ATC, it's up to you and legal.

At my destination, it was not ATC, but what we call an AFIS (Aerodrome Flight Information Service) which is only there to provide you with informations regarding weather on the airport and traffic he is aware of in the vicinity of that airport. He never gives you clearances, just informations.
This frequency works as a UNICOM when an operator is present and like a CTAF when noone's on duty.

They are not even all English in Quebec. :)
They're not even all English in Ormond Beach. We have schools around here that cater to Indian, Chinese and various other foreign students. I'm not complaining because have met and truly respect many of those foreign students, but sometimes I can't understand a word they are saying.

To the OP, welcome to POA! Feel free to give us your opinions and impressions. I just returned from a 4,000 mile round trip and never ran into a single administrative or language problem.

Last edited:
I met a German couple a few weeks ago stuck in Idaho due to weather. It was cheaper for them to come here, rent a 172 and fly for 40 hours than do it in Germany, and the trip was free. They had been all over the south west ( California, Arizonia, New Mexico, Nevada, stay in Las Vegas for a night, Grand Canyon tour) Sedona, AZ. ) and working their way back to California. VFR only, they were having a ball.

Yes, you can fly anywhere in the USA without any border checks. I even flew from Washington state to Alaska crossing into Canadian airspace, buy never landed there so I didn't go through customs.

Watch out for TFR's ( Temporary Flight Restrictions) and Restricted areas, they do not want you flying in there. :no: You may get permission in restricted areas, but ask first!!!! MOA,s (military operational areas) are for caution only, just keep an eye out for missiles. ;)

Bring a GPS, get inflight weather, lots of money, and have a ball.

Welcome to POA.

Last edited:
I met a German couple a few weeks ago stuck in Idaho due to weather. It was cheaper for them to come here, rent a 172 and fly for 40 hours than do it in Germany, and the trip was free. They had been all over the south west ( California, Arizonia, New Mexico, Nevada, stay in Las Vegas for a night, Grand Canyon tour) Sedona, AZ. ) and working their way back to California. VFR only, they were having a ball.

Yes, you can fly anywhere in the USA without any border checks. I even flew from Washington state to Alaska crossing into Canadian airspace, buy never landed there so I didn't go through customs.

Watch out for TFR's ( Temporary Flight Restrictions) and Restricted areas, they do not want you flying in there. :no: You may get permission in restricted areas, but ask first!!!! MOA,s (military operational areas) are for caution only, just keep an eye out for missiles. ;)

Bring a GPS, get inflight weather, lots of money, and have a ball.

That's my plan, having a ball!!!!

I hope u have a great time in the states!

You'll have a great time in the states. Our local flight school has a lot of customers just like yourself coming back year after year. A great T-41B on the line.

Check what you need for paperwork to get your US FAA pilot certificate based on your French certificate. Advance planning makes it easy.

Getting a FAA pilot certificate based on a french licence is really easy, not much paperwork is needed (it´s just a letter sent to the FAA in Oklahoma city with copies of licence and medical endorsement)
I have already done this part this year because my original plan was to come in 2013 but family duties made me postpone everything. I'll have to do it again in 2014, but as you say, advance planning is also part of the fun of that kind of journey.

Welcome to POA! I'm certian that you'll have a blast flying around here in the U.S.

Keep us posted as the time draws near.

Welcome to Pilots of Ameriaca Sylvain. I'm sure you will enjoy your flying in the U.S. Where are you planning on traveling once you are here.

My intention is to fly from San Diego, CA and visit numerous parks such as Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Monument Valley, Yosemite, etc... To sum up, it would be a big circle in the west of the US.

Sheesh.. Cant you atleast add some english subtitles in your video!! j/k.. :) Welcome to POA. Looking at your video I cant image what would make our flying more free. What kind of things make it harder in your country?

Sheesh.. Cant you atleast add some english subtitles in your video!! j/k.. :) Welcome to POA. Looking at your video I cant image what would make our flying more free. What kind of things make it harder in your country?

He did! Click on the "CC" button.

Welcome and enjoy, although I can't say that I ever encountered any restrictions in Europe when I did the opposite of what you plan, except for restrictions of the wallet. :eek:

Welcome and enjoy, although I can't say that I ever encountered any restrictions in Europe when I did the opposite of what you plan, except for restrictions of the wallet. :eek:

Just two examples : class A airspaces, expensive landing fees

I forgot to tell you about landing fees here. $20 every time you land. If you have a bad landing and bounce the second landing is 1\2 price. Keep track of all your landings and send a cashiers check to Geico. :D

Don't worry, you will get use to American humor! :lol: :D. ;)

Landing fees I'm familiar with, outside of Paris, where is there class A in France? Even as such, you'll find the Class B airspace very similar requiring a clearance and IFR style controlled navigation requirements. There are also many Prohibited areas, Restricted areas, TFRs, and the ADIZ around DC to contend with. Proportionally, I think more of Europe is Class G than the US.

Class A is only around Paris...
Permanent P zones, D zones, military zones with entry strictly forbidden, temporary prohibited zones that are temporary only by name since they have been temporary for years... Class C and D airspaces with explicit entry clearances required. Those are some more examples of what we have here...
Anyway, my point is not to have some kind of contest of who has the worst regulation, my only goal is to experiment how it is to fly in a different environment...

Last edited:
Class A is only around Paris...
Permanent P zones, D zones, military zones with entry strictly forbidden, temporary prohibited zones that are temporary only by name since they have been temporary for years... Class C and D airspaces with explicit entry clearances required. Those are some more examples of what we have here...
Anyway, my point is not to have some kind of contest of who has the worst regulation, my only goal is to experiment how it is to fly in a different environment...

It's not even a contest. It is literally the wild west out here. You can fly VFR at night, no radios, no transponder in a "plane" that wouldn't even be considered airworthy in Europe. It's the last frontier for free flying. God bless America!

You're going to love it! And cheap fuel too!

Flying a C-172 or similar you won't have to worry about Class A airspace in the US. It starts at 18,000 MSL, and the planes you will be flying won't go that high. Have fun!

Welcome to POA Sylvain.
I am from the UK, I came to the US and got my FAA PPL, now I can't stay away, I enjoy flying here more than in my own country, so much so that we bought a vacation home here in Florida and now come over every couple of months and stay for 5 or 6 weeks each trip.

Currently I rent 172's from a couple of different places that are local to me, being checked out at more than one operation usually means one or the other will have an aircraft available when I want to go flying. Although the long term plan is to buy into a shared aircraft at some stage.

I'm sure you will enjoy the experience when you do get over and visit, the guys here are very helpful, and will give you any guidance you may need.

Sylvain,

We did a "flying week" with my son last summer. We chosed to fly in Florida and, man, we had a great time: 100$ burgers, flying over big airports, performing approaches at Space Shuttle Facility (yeah!), flying Stearman ..... We flew VFR over Manhattan too (couldn't not do it)

Experience learned:
- converting EU to US PPL is simple but takes a long time. However, I had contacts with very nice people at FAA. To finalize the process you have to get an evaluation by a FAA FE: you have to make an appointment and be prepared to pay for it (paid $150).
- listen A LOT of ATC before flying there: Live ATC is a real good tool. I have a quite good level of English (at least for a French), practiced a bit in EU, but I was more than happy to get help from my FI during the first flights (I can't remember how many times I said "what the f..... did he say?"). American accent is too different music for our ears.
- Forefligth on IPad is a nice tool covering pretty much of your needs
- bring your headsets (or offer you a new one once there)
- practice IFR there: it's a different experience than IFR in France, it's more pragmatic and I had very helpful ATC.
- FBO's are great places to visit: they offer so many luxury for free
- you will spend your annual flying budget in just a few days but won't regret it
- most important: people are nice, friendly, helpful. You are welcomed well most of times.

Getting a FAA pilot certificate based on a french licence is really easy, not much paperwork is needed (it´s just a letter sent to the FAA in Oklahoma city with copies of licence and medical endorsement)
I have already done this part this year because my original plan was to come in 2013 but family duties made me postpone everything. I'll have to do it again in 2014, but as you say, advance planning is also part of the fun of that kind of journey.

I don't know but you may need a flight review. I would check that out.

hey guys,
since im new here, let me introduce myself.
im a french private pilot, aged 33 with 1 wife and 2 kids (sadly not the opposite :D).

Sylvain

Welcome. The freedom is real. A guy I knew had 4 kids and 1 airplane. Said he'd reverse that if he had it to do over. ;)

Back