New Here - Howdy!

Tom Gresham

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom Gresham
Just wanted to introduce myself. I just found this board. Looks to be a friendly place.

Tom Gresham

Welcome Tom. This is indeed a friendly place. Kick back and relax and join in the conversations. Start with telling us a little about yourself.

Well, believe it or not, I'm typing this during a commercial break on my radio talk show! <grin>

I have a turbonormalized A36 Bonanza, and I fly about 350 hours a year. Base in Louisiana, I take it to both coasts pretty regularly.

The home drome is Natchitoches, Louisiana. KIER.

Whoops. Commercial break is over. Gotta get back on the air.

More later.

Tom, welcome aboard. We're pretty friendly...

Except for that real airplane versus that rotorwing thing... and that low wing versus high wing thing... and NASCAR lover versus those anti-cultural people... I guess that may be it.

Oh, beware of the... Spin.... Zone.... :eek:

Glad to have ya onboard! :)

Hi, Tom!

I was gonna welcome you myself when I saw your name in the new members box.

Welcome and Enjoy!

Thanks, Mike!

Radio show is www.guntalk.com

Back to it now.
Just visited your site. Looks great and I have heard of you before. Always good to have another gunny person on the forums, even if the plane you fly has the wing in the wrong place...:D

Just heard him quote.... "A handgun is to fight your way to the long gun you shouldn't have put down in the first place."

That reminds me of something else I read recently but not sure where....

Woman: "Sheriff, you brought your pistol to the fair. Are you expecting trouble?"

Sheriff: "No ma'am, if I was expecting trouble I'd have brought my rifle."

:)

Guns and airplanes are a good mix. A lot of pilots enjoy shooting.

Well, time to pack. I fly the Bonanza to the Salt Lake City area tomorrow. Nice little flight from Louisiana. Then down to Prescott, AZ.

It's faster than the airlines, and I can carry . . . knives!

Tom

Okay, I have a minute to fill in a few blanks. I learned to fly in Anchorage, at Merrill Field. Passed the check ride on New Year's day, 1984. Bought a 1948 Luscombe 8E. Not a bush plane, but a good one to learn with. Moved to the Lower 48 in late '87, and didn't fly for 10 years. Got back into it about 10 years ago, bought a '59 Skylane, got the instrument rating (traded the CFI a gun for the training <grin>), bought an E33A Bonanza (turbonormalized), then went to an A36 (normally-aspirated), then a B55 Baron, then a Twin Bonanza, and now the TN A36. I've been flying 300 to 375 hours per year for the last six years.

Tomorrow is a typical trip. Louisiana to Salt Lake City (actually, Ogden). Then down to Arizona. Maybe tack on another stop before coming back.

I really love the TN A36. With Osborne tip tanks, it can do 200 knots, travel 1200 miles at that speed, and has a useful load of more than 1600 pounds.

The first online aviation bulletin board I used was AVSIG, which is, they say, the oldest special interest group on the internet. That was in about 1986.

One of the more fun things I've done in aviation was to create the television series "Wings To Adventure." It ran for only two years (52 episodes) on The Outdoor Channel, but we brought a lot of general aviation to the screen.

I put more hours in my plane than I do in my car. Of course, I drive about 5,000 miles a year.

Wings to Adventure was a great series that I really enjoyed watching. Welcome to the board! Lot of people here from many different backgrounds, several of which also have a public persona.

Welcome to yet another gun'ny pilot to the group! Traded a gun for a dog last spring, haven't tried trading for CFI time, though. Hmm... ;)

Last edited:
Tom, Welcome. This is a good place to be . Front porch of aviation as we say.

Okay. Just for you.

http://maxcast.com/wingstoadventure

Password is (of course) bonanza. (NOTE: bonanza is all lower case)

It will upload a video player. It's safe. It's the one ABC and Fox use.

Three videos for your consideration.

Tom

Last edited:
hmmmm.Tom, Bonanza does not work and it says video unavailable.

Eager to see it.

hmmmm.Tom, Bonanza does not work and it says video unavailable. Eager to see it.
Didn't work for me, either. :( Tried it three times, even with and without the capital B. Booted me right out, it did! :)

I'll try again!

Guess I DIDN'T try it with the lower case b! Works now ... Luddites need a lot of patience. And require it of others, too, I reckon. :redface:

Last edited:
There goes the neighborhood...

Chris in Shreveport

Just a Danm 'ol Hiperbipe owner...:goofy:

BTW: Bonanza must always be capitalized...it's a law everywhere but Eastern Albainia and New Jersey...(this is from a few of my V-tailed owner friends. I myself prefer a manufacturer that invests enough money on the airframe to put on ALL the parts an airplane should come with...)

Last edited:
Tom,

Thanks for the link... great videos! It's too bad the show didn't keep going. I had never heard of it. What years did it play? Is there any way to see the rest of the series?

I'll look forward to your input on the board. I'm sure you'll shoot straight with the rest of us. :)

Not done the video's yet but I really enjoy them they are great. At least now after 44 years I know how to pronounce your home town, Nack ah tish. I always though it was notch ah toe chish.

There goes the neighborhood...

Chris in Shreveport

Just a Danm 'ol Hiperbipe owner...:goofy:

BTW: Bonanza must always be capitalized...it's a law everywhere but Eastern Albainia and New Jersey...(this is from a few of my V-tailed owner friends. I myself prefer a manufacturer that invests enough money on the airframe to put on ALL the parts an airplane should come with...)

Chris: Check out the videos. He had a Champ when we taped it, but a brother Hiperbipe flier is featured in one! I hear you had a nice fly-in at Pineville.

Tom,

Thanks for the link... great videos! It's too bad the show didn't keep going. I had never heard of it. What years did it play? Is there any way to see the rest of the series?

I'll look forward to your input on the board. I'm sure you'll shoot straight with the rest of us. :)

It ran in 2005 and 2006. We shot it all in high definition. We had showings at Oshkosh at Theater in the Woods, with a very expensive HD projector. From the back of the seating area (100 feet), I could see cobwebs on the grass on a shot of a Stearman at dawn. Man, that was great.

New management at the network last November killed the show.

Such is TV.

Welcome to POA Tom!! Very cool show. If it was still on air I would set my DVR to record it!!

Tom, I'm late as well, but welcome. You're a humble man - you didn't mention Wings to Adventure until your second post. EXCELLENT SHOW - I'm sorry its still not on. Caused me to drop the Outdoor channel from Time Warner. (I think that's the channel it was on.)

Tom, you've sold me pretty well on the TN Bo over on the red boards! I have a 182 and love it but as it inevitably goes, I find myself wanting more.

Not to jack the thread but I thought I'd speak up and say hello. My name's Daniel and I browse here occasionally and spend most time over at the AOPA boards, but the way things have been going there lately I think I'll be spending more time here in the future!

I fly a 1965 182 out of Fort Worth Meacham and have a little over 200 hours total. I got the certificate in May 2006 and a seaplane rating in July that year. I'm currently working on my IR and try to fly at least 10 hours a month.

I've learned a lot from message boards online and started to see some of my most respected posters at AOPA slip out and I knew yall were over here. Look forward to learning more and more.

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Back