New Hard Drive 5Mb

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
attachment.php

In 1956 this is how your shiny new 5Mb hard drive would have arrived from CDW or whatever the 1956 version of CDW was.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/storage.asp

Attachments

• harddrive.jpg
    harddrive.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 151
I just in the last few weeks added 1,029,000 of those to my home network.

Told ya the house was big.

....and they use as much power as lighting up the panel indicators on that one.

Last edited:
That 5 mb made that a truly high tech Pan Am bird.

I just in the last few weeks added 1029 of those to my home network.

And you won't need the heat on in the winter. Just hope you can afford the juice for them!

I just in the last few weeks added 1029 of those to my home network.

Why would you add 5GB of space to your home network? Perhaps you meant you added 102,400 of them? Or maybe 104,857,600 of them?

Why would you add 5GB of space to your home network? Perhaps you meant you added 102,400 of them? Or maybe 104,857,600 of them?

Yeah. I realized that in my old age I got off by 10^3, just like how MBs, GBs, and TBs sometimes get mumbled.

It was 1,029,000 of those by my quick calculation.

I added 3x2TB* drives which turned out to give me 3x1.8TB or 5.4TB usable. And 2 of the drives are over half full. I'll do some cleanup when I hafta, which will be soon. I'll be adding 2 more drives very soon.

I'll have you know whippersnapper, that I still have some precious salvaged 80MB Conner hard drives in the chaos boxes downstairs near the parts of my never-completely-finished "screamer" 386 EISA PC. I have them because Compaq installed them in desktops and they broke routinely in a few months. Noisy as hell, too.

Also down there is my second "PC" with the extra expensive "192K*" drive option.

*BS measurement.

Last edited:
I added 3x2TB* drives which turned out to give me 3x1.8TB or 5.4TB usable. And 2 of the drives are over half full. I'll do some cleanup when I hafta, which will be soon. I'll be adding 2 more drives very soon.

I just ordered 2TB yesterday. It'll be here Monday.

The photo scans of my dad's pictures are by themselves 850 GB.

I'll have you know whippersnapper, that I still have some precious salvaged 80MB Conner hard drives in the chaos boxes downstairs near the parts of my never-completely-finished "screamer" 386 EISA PC.

I've got a 5 MB drive down in the garage with the old Z100 computer.....

Oldest HD I've got is a 20 MByte drive. Still works, as does the machine it is installed in. At least, it did the last time I powered it up (in 1997). :D

I just ordered 2TB yesterday. It'll be here Monday.

The photo scans of my dad's pictures are by themselves 850 GB.

I've got a 5 MB drive down in the garage with the old Z100 computer.....

That's the future shock for me. What I'm handling is HD video files that can be 11-12GB for one movie.

I remembered one day on the job when I formatted the WHOLE new 550MB full height hard drive the boss bought for his desktop as a a single partition in DOS (which we weren't even sure would work) and all of my fellow geeks marveled at the 5,123,456 bytes it showed. Now that might barely hold an audio CD.

I've decided to do my own folder mirroring so I can always get to my data, which is the main reason I'll have a second pair of 2TB drives soon, but I will need the space. The 3TB drives can't come fast enough.

I would not want to have to use that with my digital camera. Just a single jpg would nearly fill that entire drive..and I have probably 10-15 thousand pictures. At 5'x6'x2.5' that's a warehouse the size of a small state without getting into the 10mb raw files. Nowadays you can drop 5mb on a tile floor and lose it.

$3200 per month for 5mb is $640/mb per month. My 1.5Tb drive was $100 earlier this year. I could buy almost 10Tb for $640. And that's a one time price, not a per month payment.

And I read yesterday that Toshiba has announced new technology that should enable the production of 25TB 3.5" drives! I still remember telling my Dad to order a 10MB Winchester drive for his Z-100 instead of a 5MB.

Back