New Guy to POA

Jon Makris

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingGreek 46
I've read so many posts on your site and brings me back to when I flew, many (too) many decades ago. After receiving my PPL in 1975 (at 44 hours), I began quest to gain a CL. Flew about 100 hours post PPL with XC from Arkansas to Maine and back...with spouse and 3 kiddies in a PA 180. Low and slow with no major issues. I was then transferred to an overseas government job which caused a pause in my flight training for four very long years. Due to personal issues (divorce, multiple transfers) I never had the chance to return to flying...So have considered returning to flying with at least 20 hours with a CFI. I did look up my info on FAA and was surprised that my PPL is still listed, albeit with wrong address...So I started looking at the medical requirements as first first step in the process. Much to my dismay, since my days of flying, I've developed Type II diabetes (under control with pills), had a stent in the LAD and most recently a pacer inserted. After reading all the items under your medical forum, it would appear that although not impossible, it will be very expensive to obtain a Class three med again. With that in mind, I looked at the possibility of a Sport rating....This too might not be an option. So thought I would post this for comments by your very large listening audience. My next would be to just pay a CFI for a couple of hours to just get the feel again...Thanks for all you folks do. Fly and stay safe.

Welcome!!!

One small suggestion.....

Inserting a "double return" between paragraphs makes posts much easier to read.

Like I did with this post :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

You don't need a Sport certificate as you already have a Private. Without a medical, you can fly any aircraft that's Light-Sport compliant.

Thank you Dana....Based on reading all the forums, it would appear that their has been countless rule changes that I would want to redo all the

ground school training again and pass the written exam prior to setting foot in any A/C. Thank you for the reply...

Thank you Dana....Based on reading all the forums, it would appear that their has been countless rule changes that I would want to redo all the

ground school training again and pass the written exam prior to setting foot in any A/C. Thank you for the reply...
You may certainly take a ground school again but there is no need to take the written again. I am not even sure that is possible since you already have the PPL.

Oh, and there is no reason you cannot get some dual instruction in the mean time. You will need to pas a flight review anyway.

After a multi-decade absence from matters aviation, the AOPA Rusty Pilots seminar helped serve as a springboard for me to fly back into it. Taking the seminar serves as the ground-school portion of a Flight Review. Initially, I was concerned about all of the regs/airspace changes that had taken place, but I came to the conclusion that there have been only a few actual changes (at least as it applies to me), and that most of them were changes in nomenclature. The old TCA's are now Class Bravo or Charlie airspace. The old Airport Traffic Area's are now Class Delta's. Also some differences in radio communications practices and terminology. All of this took pace a little over 3 years ago. To check out the new-to-me LSA models, and to see if I still had the requisite skills and capabilities, I took 4 demo flights, one of which turned into a Flight Review.

All in all, I am flying in much of the same manner as before, albeit under Light Sport rules. Under Light Sport, my major (only?) restrictions are 1) no IFR/IMC 2) no night flying. Other than that, I am free as the proverbial bird to fly when and where I wish.

As an aside, I think that the in-person Rusty Pilots seminars are cancelled, but I believe that on-line seminars are available.

Also, as you may have seen on other threads, if you are not sure that you can pass a 3rd class physical, DO NOT TAKE IT. Once you have been denied for a medical, Light Sport is no longer an option.

That is great info and the best so far!!! So no to Class III medical and an on line rusty pilots seminar from AOPA...that's all easy. I guess as I

thru many posts (Bravo/Charlie/Delta etc) I was a bit confused. Was aware of the "old" TCA (upside down wedding cake as my CFI expained it). I

never used flight following in the 70s but due to aero club rules, never flew without a flight plan...In my 140 plus hours never had any incident

that are depicted in the forums...BUT was very conservative when flying, never bad or questionable weather, always a thorough pre-flight and

always had an hour plus of fuel when landing to refuel. Maybe a bit too conservative. Seldom flew at night other than with a CFI, just wasn't

comfortable with night flying. So bearing that in mind, LSA might be perfect for what I'm looking for. Probably the worst thing that ever

happened was on a long XC with family. Landed to refuel and bathroom break. XSpouse decided to get a few extra diapers out of luggage area.

She broke the key off and it was also the ignition key...It was a holiday and of course NO back up key. Managed to get the broken piece out of

compartment and the FBO folks found a locksmith to splice the two together and make another key...It caused an overnight for the five of us

big dollar expense since it was a holiday....live and learn, never checked out another airplane for a long trip without a back-up key...Thanks for

all your suggestions. really appreciate it...

As a rusty pilot, over 60 years old, with 20+ years away from the left seat, I cannot say enough about the rusty pilot seminars through AOPA. I went in person last year, before COVID.

It was a bit like drinking from a fire hose but worth it. If you join AOPA the seminar is free, a wash... $ wise. (And you get the magazine and a hat (yippee on the hat, not).

I had medical issues, too. And I made the mistake of not reading through everything here first. Went to an AME who deferred me to FAA. Got the letter from them with requirements, did all I could to meet them (some exceptions, due to the age of the treatments -records not kept by docs and hospitals more than 7-10 years). Those I could not meet, I had reasonable explanations for, and sent it all off to FAAther.

Try to get with an AME (there are at least 2 here) that will go over your med history, tell you what you need to comply and greatly smooth the process. It will cost some $ but save WASTING any on an AME that does truck and bus drivers for DOT physicals, and is just collecting bank for pushing paper.

In the end, I got my special issuance from FAAther, and am currently on basic Med.

And, I'm flying!

There are those who will tell you to plan on 1 hour for each year you haven't flown. For many, including myself, this is not necessarily true. It will come back to you, and your instructor will tell you you are safe and competent, and sign off that flight review.

Strongly suggest finding a flying club near you. Even after membership $ and dues, I find it much less expensive than any of the FBO rentals around here. For example.. a 172 at our club rents for $80.00 an hour WET. FBOs charge $140+ around here.

Best wishes, good luck, you are already a pilot... And that never goes away... You just need to get a medical, and a flight review.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Thanks to all that have written replies!!! I am more than ready will be looking for flying clubs in the area...like LSA idea, at least in the interim.

Although I didn't mention in my initial post, I'm 74 and counting....my med issues are NOT debilitating and totally under control with meds. So I

have to remember that I still have a license and still in the FAA data base....chock one up for me...:)

...like LSA idea, at least in the interim.

Although I didn't mention in my initial post, I'm 74 and counting....my med issues are NOT debilitating and totally under control with meds.
Jon, at 78 I've got four years on you and have been flying LSAs since 2006. Like you, my med issues are NOT debilitating and totally under control with FDA approved meds acceptable to the FAA. When BasicMed went into effect in May, 2017, I qualified since I had held a 3rd class medical after July 15, 2006. I took the completed BasicMed CMEC to my primary care physician and had him give me the physical exam, took the AOPA online self-assessment test, and have been flying under BasicMed since May, 2017. I still own and fly my LSA since it meets my mission requirements for 95% of the kind of flying I do. If I need to take more than one passenger I simply rent a 172 or 182 from the FBO that gave me my last flight review. Since my LSA is experimental I can maintain it myself, and with my Light Sport Repairman-Inspection certificate I perform and sign off my own condition inspections. This keeps my cost of ownership significantly lower than if my airplane had a standard airworthiness certificate. I love my LSA; its as fast as my old 172 and sips avgas at 5.5 gph.

Last edited:
Stan, sounds like you are fulfilling the dream!!! I'm in the process of locating an FBO nearby that has LSAs. That will be my first step. Thank you for the insights....

Welcome Jon. Best wishes on your journey back to flying! Now to bust your chops. I think the earlier post about including a “double return” between paragraphs is helpful, but end the darn paragraph with a sentence please!

The story about the broken key was entertaining. Never had a key break yet, but it got me thinking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back