New guy on the block looking for input...

Hi Don, I'm afraid I'm new to these sorts of forums so would mind schooling me on the procedure for sending a PM? Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Click the picture for Don (yellow plane) and select "Start a conversation.."

Joel-

I suggest you call CP Aviation at Santa Paula and ask to talk to Judy Phelps (805)525-2138 to see if they have someone or if she knows someone who can help with your situation. Tell her my sister Rochelle (who is a CFI in Seattle) suggested you call her (they are good friends).

Jeff

Hey there Guys and Gals,

My name is Joel and I'm new to the sight. I put in a Google search for any forums where I might find amputee/disabled pilots and... Bingo!... found ya'll. So here's my predicament... I used to fly back in the late '80s before I joined the Navy. During those 6 years, I got married, had kids and went back to college. Right after I got out, I continued going to school and additionally worked two jobs... so flying was simply not in the picture. Then, in 2000 I was in a motorcycle accident and shattered a portion of my spine so now I'm a complete paraplegic from the mid chest-down. And... to put the cherry on the top, I most recently had to have my lower legs removed at the knees. Thankfully, my upper body is in great shape. So what does all of this have to do with the price of tea in China? I WANT TO FLY AGAIN SOOO BADLY!!! However... is it even possible in my condition??? Does anyone out there have some input or guidance for me? Even if the answer is "No way Jose'!", I would still be grateful for the illumination upon my dream.

Thank you all in advance for whoever took the time to ready this. I'd be truly appreciative of any advise you might be able to share with me. Oh, forgot to mention, I'm 51 so I don't have much time to accomplish my goal if it is possible. Thanks again and have an awesome day!

Joel
Hi Don, I'm afraid I'm new to these sorts of forums so would mind schooling me on the procedure for sending a PM? Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Hi Joel,
I'm a left BK VFR pilot. I had a leg designed for flying allowing proper placement to ensure that there is a smooth transition from rudder to brake. It has worked flawlessly. I'm waiting on my SODA flight now. I can send you a pic so that you can get one made along with my prosthetic techicians contact info. Let me know if I can help you out .

Hey there Guys and Gals,

My name is Joel and I'm new to the sight. I put in a Google search for any forums where I might find amputee/disabled pilots and... Bingo!... found ya'll. So here's my predicament... I used to fly back in the late '80s before I joined the Navy. During those 6 years, I got married, had kids and went back to college. Right after I got out, I continued going to school and additionally worked two jobs... so flying was simply not in the picture. Then, in 2000 I was in a motorcycle accident and shattered a portion of my spine so now I'm a complete paraplegic from the mid chest-down. And... to put the cherry on the top, I most recently had to have my lower legs removed at the knees. Thankfully, my upper body is in great shape. So what does all of this have to do with the price of tea in China? I WANT TO FLY AGAIN SOOO BADLY!!! However... is it even possible in my condition??? Does anyone out there have some input or guidance for me? Even if the answer is "No way Jose'!", I would still be grateful for the illumination upon my dream.

Thank you all in advance for whoever took the time to ready this. I'd be truly appreciative of any advise you might be able to share with me. Oh, forgot to mention, I'm 51 so I don't have much time to accomplish my goal if it is possible. Thanks again and have an awesome day!

Joel

I had a couple of paraplegic students back in the day. We trained in Cherokees and used the (as I recall) Blackwood hand control that bolted onto the shaft of the passenger side
rudder pedal. One guy got his private, commercial, and instrument with me and would have gotten his twin rating had it not been for the fact that taxiing a twin between T-Hangars was asking a little too much of the hand control.

Google "aircraft hand controls" and you will get several hits. Good luck...it can be done!

Bob Gardner

Back