New Guy Here

JeremyScott

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy Scott
Hey people

Im Jeremy and I hail from Houston, Texas. Im 27yrs old and have been interested in aircraft since I was 5. Ive decided to take the next major step and get my private pilot's liscence. I am really stoked about it cause this has been one of my life long dreams. I hope I can learn a lot here and feel welcomed.

Thanks

Bubba

Welcome Bubba and good luck!!
If you have questions, this is the place!

welcome jeremy/bubba. you'll feel right at home here, we put up with a lot of other texans and have gotten used to it :D

welcome jeremy/bubba. you'll feel right at home here, we put up with a lot of other texans and have gotten used to it :D

Welcome Bubba. What Tony said! In fact, some of our local Texans from this board are also in Houston, so I'm sure you'll hook up with some of them. They might even bend your arm into helping at the aviation museum at Hobby. :yes:

Hoooowdy Bubba!!! Dang I like calling someone bubba. Well Bubba welcome to the best dang aviation board on the web!

Welcome Bubba, pull up a chair and stay awhile. This is the best pilot forum site on the net. Great bunch here and you will find a butt load of good info from this group.

You've come to the right place... welcome, and good luck with your training!! :)

Hey people

Im Jeremy and I hail from Houston, Texas. Im 27yrs old and have been interested in aircraft since I was 5. Ive decided to take the next major step and get my private pilot's liscence. I am really stoked about it cause this has been one of my life long dreams. I hope I can learn a lot here and feel welcomed.

Thanks

Bubba

Squawk 1200. Frequency change approved. Enjoy your flight. :D

Welcome, Bubba! Hope to meet you at one of the flyins. Bring your instructor! Gaston's isn't far for you!

I know it sounds wack, but my ultimate dream after I get my liscence is to be rated for multi engine aircraft. Reason being, I would love to get my hands on a B-17 or B-25 and be able to fly them. Ive been awwwed by them ever since I was a kid.

I know it sounds wack, but my ultimate dream after I get my liscence is to be rated for multi engine aircraft. Reason being, I would love to get my hands on a B-17 or B-25 and be able to fly them. Ive been awwwed by them ever since I was a kid.
Hang out and volunteer with the CAF! (http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/) You're probably already aware of them, but...

Most definently. I go to the Wings Over Houston almost every year. Ive been aware of the CAF back when they were known as the Confederate Airforce. My old next door neighbor was a lead mechanic for them.

Welcome aboard! :yes:

I talked with a CAF B-25 crew at OSH this summer. They said the minimum qualifications for the B-25 were 1500 hours total time and a commercial multi rating. Go for it! :yes:

There always needs to be someone ready to keep em flying, why not you? I'm sure it'll happen for you, get involved! :D

Welcome to POA. Don't be afraid to ask questions, aviation or not, you will get answers from people who know.

Not crazy at all. I'm 27.5 hours into my SEL, and am thinking I may jump into MEL right after I finish this rating. In my case, part of that has to do with wanting to buy my own plane, but already having ridiculously cheap access to single engine planes.

If where you'd like to go with your license is to be able to fly one of those old warbird bombers, you'll probably need to get involved with a group that keeps them in the air, unless you have some insane amount of money to own one personally. As it is, you'll want extensive twin training. Definitely go for it! If you plow through the ratings (SEL, IR, Comm, MUL, etc.) that'll help you build time. Down in Houston you should have it easier with weather, too. Here in PA it's been more difficult with winter! :mad:

Good luck, and welcome! :)

I talked with a CAF B-25 crew at OSH this summer. They said the minimum qualifications for the B-25 were 1500 hours total time and a commercial multi rating. Go for it! :yes:

yea i really need to move somewhere with a CAF unit...

As opposed to WHAT? during WWII? But, bending a B-25 wasn't as significant back then. :D

Jeremy, you need to hook up with PJ Gustafson (Toronado on this board, although I may well have misspelled it); PJ is an active pilot in Houston (I think he flies out of Hooks?), and is a very active volunteer at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum at Hobby. Good guy.

You'll find a wealth of good advice here, along with the occasional good-natured jibe, but folks here are nice pilots, I swear.

Especially the Texans! :yes:

Or just start your own....

Are you going to donate a plane to get him started? :D

I'd love to fly and/or own one of those warbirds someday. Sometimes they can be reasonably affordable. I saw a B-26 Invader on eBay that went for about $125,000 in I believe mostly flyable condition. The biggest problem, though, is operational cost. In cruise the thing burned 75 gallons per hour per engine (two R-2800 double wasps). Ouch! Still, purchase price was pretty reasonable, and if you were able to do restoration and repair work yourself your primary cost would be fuel.

Welcome, Jeremy!

PJ flies out of SGR (Sugarland) and lives waaaaaay out on the West side...

Stop by the Wheels and Wings at HOU (Hobby) on the 19th, at the old Air Terminal on Telephone Rd.

Lot's of fun!

Are you going to donate a plane to get him started? :D

I'd love to fly and/or own one of those warbirds someday. Sometimes they can be reasonably affordable. I saw a B-26 Invader on eBay that went for about $125,000 in I believe mostly flyable condition. The biggest problem, though, is operational cost. In cruise the thing burned 75 gallons per hour per engine (two R-2800 double wasps). Ouch! Still, purchase price was pretty reasonable, and if you were able to do restoration and repair work yourself your primary cost would be fuel.
Ummmmm.... I'd guess it would be insurance! Of course, the hangar cost wouldn't be inconsequential, depending on where you housed it.

Ummmmm.... I'd guess it would be insurance! Of course, the hangar cost wouldn't be inconsequential, depending on where you housed it.

Good points! I forgot about those. :)

Basically, it's a ton of money.

Wow, two mentions of my name in one thread by two different people - I'm almost as popular as Tony C.! ;)

Sorry for not welcoming you sooner, Bubba, but I've been away on vacation. I'm also 27 years old, and just got my PPL this past August. I rent out of SGR, but I fly out of wherever the person who's giving me a ride is based or picks me up... typically IWS or HOU. I am an active volunteer at the 1940 Air Terminal Museum at Hobby, and you should definitely come out on the 19th for Wings & Wheels, and sign up to be a volunteer! You can get a LOT of pilot contacts through that museum and it will open up some doors for you. Plus there are a lot of great people involved in a great place.

Also, check out www.houstonspotters.net in addition to this incredibly awesome board - that's a group of local pilots and enthusiasts, most of whom are also involved with the museum - and they can be some great resources too.

Lastly, if you dream of flying -17's or -25's, you couldn't be in a better area. There is a CAF wing at HOU that is currently restoring a -17 (www.gulfcoastwing.org) and they are always looking for people to help turn wrenches. I haven't gotten involved with them yet, but I'm considering it, and I think Ric is considering it too. If you go to Houston Spotters, a user there that goes by EFDSpotter is involved with that outfit, and I'm sure he'll be glad to talk to you about it at length. Also, the Lone Star Flight Museum at GLS has a -25 that they fly around (I actually got to ride right seat in it once while it was being taxied across the field at HOU). I'm sure they're looking for volunteers too.

I'm glad you came on here and if you want, send me a PM and I'll give you my cell #. I'd love to get together to talk about flying over a beer or two sometime. If he promises me a ride in the 310, I might even consider inviting Ric to join us ;).

Back