New Google Feature for geeks

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en

This is making my life a lot easier!!!

It is a patent searcher. For all you lawyer types if you ever thought about the high paying world of intellectual property law pull a few of these babies up and read through. Why patent attorney's don't blow their heads off I'll never know. I have to read this stuff almost every day and I hate it. Especially when I have to put claim charts together!

Calvin's Dad was a Patent Attorney, no wonder he was so wacky.
cal_dad01.jpg

Last edited:
Calvin's Dad was a Patent Attorney, no wonder he was so wacky.
cal_dad01.jpg

wow that one at least sounds like a good story!!

I had to put together a response to a Swedish company patent granted in 1996 that claimed that they had invented cellular in 1994. SIGH!
What a waste of my time for such a stupid patent. I really wanted to find the patent clerk that had granted it and shake him violently!

USPTO has been running ads on-and-off for the last 6 months in DC looking for examiners. They can't find enough to hire.

USPTO has been running ads on-and-off for the last 6 months in DC looking for examiners. They can't find enough to hire.
It is a high turnover crappy job. It is mostly brand new grads of a engineering program looking to get a job to earn some cash while they look for a real job. It is part of the reason that IP is so messed up as these young 'uns don't always do their due dillengence when researching the application. It makes for a fun fight in the IP law area latter on and can lead to some of these giant awards that you read about. For instance it was ridiculas that the US Patent Office allowed Ericsson to claim they invented cellular in the 1990's when there had been commercial cell systems up and running years before Ericsson claimed they invented it.

When I was in broadcasting/theatre school in Boston I frequently walked past the Boston Public Library(Copley Square). It seemed that forever there was an individual sitting on the great granite settee which skirts the front of the building. Long hair, bearded, shabbily-dressed, he was a fixture; apparently, a street person.

Many months later I learned the history of the individual. He had been an honor graduate from high school, excelling in the sciences. Chemistry and physics had been his world.
"Had been" is the key phrase. He had developed some sort of serum as would be applied to the medical field. It turned out to be a magnificent development and became a huge success in certain disease treatments, though I can't remember what it was. Millions of dollars came to the patent holder of the discovery.

"Patent holder" is another key phrase. The subject of my piece hadn't the precaution to do the patent application process. Eventually, someone else got the patent registered.

The Library guy? He went to pieces, emotionally; and, basically, dropped out of society, becoming as many would see him sitting outside the library as a destroyed man.
It was a sad situation.

HR

When I was in broadcasting/theatre school in Boston I frequently walked past the Boston Public Library(Copley Square).
HR

?? Would that school happen to be Emerson? The reason for my question is that my daughter is very interested in attending. We went up to visit this past weekend. Nice place, communication is definately their strength.

Gary

Emerson has a long and respected reputation. I went to the no longer in business Leland Powers School of Radio, Television, and Theatre. It was a small, old institution.

HR

It is a high turnover crappy job. It is mostly brand new grads of a engineering program looking to get a job to earn some cash while they look for a real job. It is part of the reason that IP is so messed up as these young 'uns don't always do their due dillengence when researching the application. It makes for a fun fight in the IP law area latter on and can lead to some of these giant awards that you read about. For instance it was ridiculas that the US Patent Office allowed Ericsson to claim they invented cellular in the 1990's when there had been commercial cell systems up and running years before Ericsson claimed they invented it.

DOn't get me started about PTO....

IP is messed up for a LOT of reasons, PTO/employees are only part of it.

I thought that cellular was derived from packet radio? I'm sure an amateur radio operator will correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw a patent that included ratio fluorescence as part of its claims- I worked with one the inventors of this technique who published the paper at least 10 years prior to the patent in question.

YOu are mistaken

de K9PO

It was derived from IMTS and has more in common with trunked radio. Packet radio was derived from the x.25 protocol.

And packet is 'officially' known as the AX.25 protocol.

Oh, Scott, there's a typo on your bio on QRZ.COM at the end. Just an extra word. I know, picky, picky, picky. :p

And packet is 'officially' known as the AX.25 protocol.

Oh, Scott, there's a typo on your bio on QRZ.COM at the end. Just an extra word. I know, picky, picky, picky. :p
thanks for the V&V. Now I just have to remember my log in so I can change it. What did you think of my QSL card?? FYI: it is just the pic on the right of the collage

thanks for the V&V. Now I just have to remember my log in so I can change it. What did you think of my QSL card?? FYI: it is just the pic on the right of the collage

Looks like you've got all your bases covered with the card. Nice. I'm still working through a pile of W4MPY cards I had made up ages ago. I might get fancy when I run low, but I've got to make HF contacts again for that to happen. I haven't logged any HF since operating W1AW a little over a year ago.

Back