New Gaston's Website (Public Beta)

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I keep telling people that progress is being made on the new Gaston's website. I finally have reached a point in the development where I feel I am ready to show what this progress is.

It was on September 13th that I said I would take over the Gaston's website. It's been two months. I knew it was going to be a lot of work when I said it--but I didn't think it was going to be this much work. It's been almost two months and I have been working on this whenever my life would permit.

I really would like to stress a couple of things with regard to this website:
  • This is a pubic BETA. This is NOT the final version. With your help the final version will be an entirely different beast.
  • There WILL be problems.
  • I want honest feedback, I want you to try and break the website.
  • Everything you do or upload to this website will be erased after the beta.
  • Please test every function of the website. If you think the user interface sucks, tell me. If you think I should make a font two points bigger--tell me.
  • This site is not the final version. New features will be added. Anything can be changed.
  • Check your Junk Mail for the activation e-mail. If you do not receive it post in this thread and I will manually activate you.
  • Now is the time to define what this website will be.
It's not easy to develop a good user interface. The problem is, the developer knows exactly how everything works. It's hard for me to imagine what will be going through end user's heads.

I gave access to a development version of the site to select people. All of your information was deleted. You will need to recreate your account on this beta website.

The URL is:
http://beta.jesseangell.com

Test it, break it, and tell me how to make it better. The things I really want you to test are:
  1. Registration. Can you create an account?
  2. My Account. Can you upload your avatar? (must be jpeg)
  3. Attendance. Can you attend the 2008 Fly-in?
  4. Photo Galleries. Can you create a photo gallery and upload pictures?
Some features that are planned, halfway built, and not in this beta release are:
  • Google Map of attendees
  • Contact System (A method to e-mail attendees of the fly-in)
  • Build Wiki into site
  • Slideshow for Gallery
Please respond in this thread for any issue or comment.

Last edited:
Jesse- Sorry about the PM- I didn't see the last line directing us to respond here until after I sent it.

It looks very good- working well.

One more quibble- Under "contact us", I suggest the text "Your e-mail:" be changed to "Your e-mail address:" since your e-mail will be entered in the larger text box.

-->Jack

I knew it was going to be a lot of work when I said it--but I didn't think it was going to be this much work.

Jesse, thanks so much for taking the time to do this for us! It's looking really good! :yes:

The things I really want you to test are:
  1. Registration. Can you create an account?
  2. My Account. Can you upload your avatar? (must be jpeg)
  3. Attendance. Can you attend the 2008 Fly-in?
  4. Photo Galleries. Can you create a photo gallery and upload pictures?

All those things worked for me.

On the page for attendees list, Nick's looks funny and takes up most of the page. Does anyone else see that?

Eventually, can you list me as a person to contact on the contact page?

Thanks Jesse!

Jesse -
So far the site looks great. As you want us to nitpick, here are a couple things:

On the attendee page: when you hover over the name link, the information about that person is shown at the top of the page as opposed to next to the name. For example, if I hover over Jack, his info is beyond the limits of my screen without scrolling up. If I scroll up, I can't hover over Jack's name.

Registration: I waited over 10 minutes for the e-mail to complete registration but it did not arrive. Maybe I'm being a little too impatient :dunno:

Again, GREAT job and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we look forward to the finished product!

Now is the time to define what this website will be.

Test it, break it, and tell me how to make it better.

One more thing. :) This isn't technical, this is more whiny. :redface: :D

When you finalize the home page, would you mind adding a few pictures of women (not me :no: :no: :no: ) and/or their airplanes? Right now, the pictures are only of guys and guys' airplanes. We have even MORE women coming in 2008 (Kim will be flying her Bird Dog), and it would be nice for the home page to reflect that it's a fly-in that includes women. :yes: Actually the number of female pilots who attend are higher than the ratio of women to men pilots. :)

Jesse -
So far the site looks great. As you want us to nitpick, here are a couple things:

On the attendee page: when you hover over the name link, the information about that person is shown at the top of the page as opposed to next to the name. For example, if I hover over Jack, his info is beyond the limits of my screen without scrolling up. If I scroll up, I can't hover over Jack's name.

Registration: I waited over 10 minutes for the e-mail to complete registration but it did not arrive. Maybe I'm being a little too impatient :dunno:

Again, GREAT job and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we look forward to the finished product!
A neat feature but to add to what Kevin says, what about having the pop up window to the right of the name? As you continue scanning down the list, the pop window is out of the way of the list. Right now, it hovers over the list. You have to click to the far right to get rid of the popup before going to the next name.

On the "flying here" page, "Gaston's" is misspelled, "Gason's" once.

I found the login confirmation in my Spam Trap.

On the "Attendee List" page, Nick's entry reads like this:

Nick
Warning: getimagesize(data/avatar/.jpg) [
function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/virtual/beta.jesseangell.com/html/includes/html.php on line 63

Warning: array_values() [function.array-values]: The argument should be an array in /var/www/virtual/beta.jesseangell.com/html/includes/html.php on line 63
none.jpg
Nick
Attending:
06/06/2008
06/07/2008
06/08/2008

Comments:
Yeehaw (not my real plane yet, but this is a test).

Looks good Jesse!

Cancellation policy changed....

If you have any questions, please email us: gastons@gastons.comor call 870-431-5202. All rates subject to change. Cancellation policy
is that if you cancel your reservation 15 days or more prior to your arrival,
we only take $50.00 per room and $50.00 per guide. If you give us 14 days
or less notice, the full deposit will be taken. We take the first nights stay
as a deposit on cottages and we take an additional $100.00 per guide.
Parties of 20 people or more require a 30 day notice instead of 15 days.

Also will there be any info/links provided for BPK or FLP ?

I'm nitpicking a bit, but technically, when the registration email comes, it shouldn't come from Jesse Angell, should it?

Other than that, apparently there's something wrong with the name "Skyhog" or the description of "Yeehaw." Because it really shows odd in the Attendee List.

Update to post #4. As of 10:58 central time I still have not yet received an e-mail to complete registration.

Thanks Jesse.

Oops, now that I registered, I have a wacky entry like Nick's; I had figured he had caused the whole problem by trying to stole your meaghurtz, or hAxOrZ the mainframe. So much or the conspiracy theory.

But, once I uploaded my picture (Avatar), it worked fine, so I presume that the hover-over function has no way to handle a user who does not upload an avatar, or a missing pointer or something like that.

I'd suggest that the "Attend Event" be renamed something like, "I'm Coming" or "Tell Us You're Coming" or something like that- "Attend Event" is a little remote.

===

Nice Work, Jesse!

Nice work, Jesse. So, how do you like Ruby now that you've had a chance to work with it? I did some reading on it, and watched some of the development videos that the creator of the product made. Interested now in your opinions.

Minor nits:

• On the Flying In page, add the runway numbers to the labeled picture. The text has the information, but for those not familiar with the airport, it would help.
  • Is there a still shot from the arrival direction that you could add, showing the goalpost trees you referred to?
  • On the register page, if your passwords don't match, show the error message in red to make it stand out. It's in the same font as the rest of the page.
  • You said "try to break it". I entered an email address that wasn't valid (t... @ w........com) with spaces in it on either side of the @ sign, and it still said my registration was successful. Consider regex'ing the input for valid email address structure.
  • On the last one... I guess you remove the spaces! Good job. I got the registration email, and the header shows it was sent to t...@w......com.
  • In the registration email, you say "if you can not click it copy and paste it into your browser". I'm going to put on my Nick grammar hat and suggest that it should read "If you cannot click the URL, copy and paste it into your browser." "can not" is also correct in some cases, but indicates when you have a choice in the matter, to do it or not. In your text, the user doesn't have a choice, it either works or it doesn't. http://alexfiles.com/cannot.shtml
  • I'd suggest adding another line break to get the URL into its own paragraph, separate from the body of the text, so it stands out.
  • On the Contact Us page, if you fill in the name and comments but NOT the "Your Email" field, you show an error "You must fill in the Your E-mail field", but you do it on a new page that wipes out the form. I can click the Back button and my contents are still there. A novice user, however, might just click the "Contact Us" link again, in which case they lose the message they typed. #1 rule, lose no data. So, I'd suggest either putting the error message (in red) at the top of the SAME PAGE as the form, and leaving what they typed, so they can simply correct the error (preferred fix), OR on your error page either put a message telling the user to click the browser back button to fix the error, or add a "back" link with a javascript history.back command.
  • Once I was registered, it took me a few minutes to figure out where to register for the event, or to see who was attending. Can you make links for those common tasks more visible, at the top of each page, perhaps, for users who are logged in?
  • On the Annual Fly-In page, 3rd paragraph starts by saying "you can read how it all started here". Can "here" be a link? I couldn't find the history of the event, maybe it's a future feature?
  • You mix "Fly-In" and "fly in"; can you use one consistently? I like "Fly-In".
  • The attendee list says "7 named listed" instead of "names". "1 names with low confidence" (use singular "name" with 1).. (I told you these were "nits"!)
  • Attendee List, as Spike says, doesn't make it readily apparent how to say "I'm coming!". Can you add links for that to the main part of the page?
  • Attendee list hover: comments are one word per line?? Nick's shows errors in the hover output, "failed to open stream" and "function.array-values" errors.
  • Feature request: hover over the attendee's departure airport to see a skyvector map pop up with a direct-to Gastons course plotted, so we can see where they are coming from.
  • Photo Gallery: I uploaded 5 photos at the same time, only four of them made it through. Not sure what happened to the last one?? (it was of Dave flying the Baron, shot from the back seats).
  • Photo Gallery: It allows me to upload the same photo more than once. See my gallery where I uploaded the sunset in flight photo twice from the same upload screen. Not sure if you care about that or not.
  • Annual Fly-In page, Photos link. No galleries are listed. Perhaps the page is just a placeholder for future feature? This page should also give me a link to add pictures if I'm logged in, to my gallery.

I didn't find any glaring errors other than the hover feature on names (Nick's in particular). Good job, Jesse! Thanks for the hard work.

Last edited:
Update to post #4. As of 10:58 central time I still have not yet received an e-mail to complete registration.

Thanks Jesse.

Kevin, I just manually verified you.

I just fixed the problem with Nick's entry. It was due to him having no avatar. Just needed to check if the file existed before resizing for the pop up.

I am probably going to have to redesign the popup on the Attendee page to make it flow smoothly. Looking into this now.

As far as the rest of this feedback--I really appreciate it and keep it coming. I plan on addressing everything you write about in this thread.

Jesse, what's up with the "Ban Stars" tagline? I must have missed something along the way. That's what my teenage daughters would refer to as 'RANDOM!!'

Thanks again Jesse. I know it will likely seem like a thankless job at times. To show our appreciation, Tom and I would like to cover Sunday Brunch at Gaston's for you and yours. :)

Jesse, what's up with the "Ban Stars" tagline? I must have missed something along the way. That's what my teenage daughters would refer to as 'RANDOM!!'

Long story. I probably should remove it now.

Thanks again Jesse. I know it will likely seem like a thankless job at times. To show our appreciation, Tom and I would like to cover Sunday Brunch at Gaston's for you and yours. :)

Ah, Thanks Diana!

Fix:
I redesigned the Attendee page. You have to click now, instead of hover, but it should work much better.

I need to eat some food and prep my motorcycle for winter storage. I'll address all these other concerns/bugs later today.

Jesse,
Great work! However, I was unable to register. I got this error message: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting '(' in /var/www/virtual/beta.jesseangell.com/html/logic/register.php on line 35

Thanks for your efforts!

Josh

Eventually, can you list me as a person to contact on the contact page?
Of course. I'll add this to my to do list.

I rebuilt the attendee page. This should be a non-issue now.

When you finalize the home page, would you mind adding a few pictures of women (not me :no: :no: :no: ) and/or their airplanes? Right now, the pictures are only of guys and guys' airplanes. We have even MORE women coming in 2008 (Kim will be flying her Bird Dog), and it would be nice for the home page to reflect that it's a fly-in that includes women. :yes: Actually the number of female pilots who attend are higher than the ratio of women to men pilots. :)
If you, or someone, can provide me with some images. I can include them.

A neat feature but to add to what Kevin says, what about having the pop up window to the right of the name? As you continue scanning down the list, the pop window is out of the way of the list. Right now, it hovers over the list. You have to click to the far right to get rid of the popup before going to the next name.
I rebuilt the attendee page. This is now a non-issue.

Also will there be any info/links provided for BPK or FLP ?

There can be. I'll put it on my to do list

I'm nitpicking a bit, but technically, when the registration email comes, it shouldn't come from Jesse Angell, should it?
This will be fixed on the pubic launch when Chip points the domain at my name servers.

Nice work, Jesse. So, how do you like Ruby now that you've had a chance to work with it?
The first weekend I spent on this project I attempted to use Ruby On Rails. I must say--it's pretty cool. I'm sure it's extremely powerful once you learn how to use it. My problem was, I didn't know Ruby or Rails. So I decided to use PHP. I ended up reinventing the wheel several times over again. Reflecting back--Perhaps I should have just put more effort towards learning RoR.

On the Flying In page, add the runway numbers to the labeled picture. The text has the information, but for those not familiar with the airport, it would help.
On to do list.

Is there a still shot from the arrival direction that you could add, showing the goalpost trees you referred to?
I'm not sure. It would be nice if someone could come up with an arrival procedure. In my opinion--we really need everyone doing the Dam approach.
On the register page, if your passwords don't match, show the error message in red to make it stand out. It's in the same font as the rest of the page.
Fixed
You said "try to break it". I entered an email address that wasn't valid (t... @ w........com) with spaces in it on either side of the @ sign, and it still said my registration was successful. Consider regex'ing the input for valid email address structure.
Fixed. Improved the e-mail validation checks significantly.
In the registration email, you say "if you can not click it copy and paste it into your browser". I'm going to put on my Nick grammar hat and suggest that it should read "If you cannot click the URL, copy and paste it into your browser." "can not" is also correct in some cases, but indicates when you have a choice in the matter, to do it or not. In your text, the user doesn't have a choice, it either works or it doesn't. http://alexfiles.com/cannot.shtml
Fixed.
I'd suggest adding another line break to get the URL into its own paragraph, separate from the body of the text, so it stands out.
Fixed.
On the Contact Us page, if you fill in the name and comments but NOT the "Your Email" field, you show an error "You must fill in the Your E-mail field", but you do it on a new page that wipes out the form. I can click the Back button and my contents are still there. A novice user, however, might just click the "Contact Us" link again, in which case they lose the message they typed. #1 rule, lose no data. So, I'd suggest either putting the error message (in red) at the top of the SAME PAGE as the form, and leaving what they typed, so they can simply correct the error (preferred fix), OR on your error page either put a message telling the user to click the browser back button to fix the error, or add a "back" link with a javascript history.back command.
Fixed.
Once I was registered, it took me a few minutes to figure out where to register for the event, or to see who was attending. Can you make links for those common tasks more visible, at the top of each page, perhaps, for users who are logged in?
I'll have to think of how to best handle this. The site has been designed so that adding another fly-in is just a single click away. This is why some of the navigation is as it is.
On the Annual Fly-In page, 3rd paragraph starts by saying "you can read how it all started here". Can "here" be a link? I couldn't find the history of the event, maybe it's a future feature?
That was a copy and paste off the old Gaston's site. I'll have to add the history page off the old site. On my to do list.
You mix "Fly-In" and "fly in"; can you use one consistently? I like "Fly-In".
Fly-In it is.
The attendee list says "7 named listed" instead of "names". "1 names with low confidence" (use singular "name" with 1).. (I told you these were "nits"!)
Fixed.
Attendee List, as Spike says, doesn't make it readily apparent how to say "I'm coming!". Can you add links for that to the main part of the page?
I'll try and think of a way to improve this. see above.
Attendee list hover: comments are one word per line?? Nick's shows errors in the hover output, "failed to open stream" and "function.array-values" errors.
I fixed this by rebuilding the attendee page. It now displays differently.
Feature request: hover over the attendee's departure airport to see a skyvector map pop up with a direct-to Gastons course plotted, so we can see where they are coming from.
Cool idea. I'll add it to my to do list.
Photo Gallery: I uploaded 5 photos at the same time, only four of them made it through. Not sure what happened to the last one?? (it was of Dave flying the Baron, shot from the back seats).
No idea. Can you reproduce this?
Photo Gallery: It allows me to upload the same photo more than once. See my gallery where I uploaded the sunset in flight photo twice from the same upload screen. Not sure if you care about that or not.
I don't think thats a bug. The system assigns new file names so there isn't going to be a collision. I suppose I could do md5 check sums of the images to check for duplicates--but I'm not sure that it's worth it.
Annual Fly-In page, Photos link. No galleries are listed. Perhaps the page is just a placeholder for future feature? This page should also give me a link to add pictures if I'm logged in, to my gallery.
Well. If you look at your gallery that you created, you'll see that there is a 'Edit Gallery'. If you look in 'Edit Gallery' there is a Link to Event option. You can link the gallery to the 2008 event and then it'll show up on the 2008 page.

The reason I did this is to easily support multiple years. This way people can create photo galleries for whatever reason they want. But when they are creating a gallery that has to do with the Fly-In--they can link it to the fly-in. This makes it easy to see all the galleries that have to do with that year.

So--The reason it's empty is--No one has linked a gallery to the 2008 fly-in because no one has been at the 2008 fly-in to take pictures yet.

Things like this really need to be explained somewhere on the site. The problem is--it's hard for me to explain because I know it in and out.It'd be helpful if someone could write a FAQ for the site.

[/SIZE said:
jwynne]
Jesse,
Great work! However, I was unable to register. I got this error message: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting '(' in /var/www/virtual/beta.jesseangell.com/html/logic/register.php on line 35
Fixed. Sorry about that. You tried to view the page when I was fixing something in all the above fixes.

Last edited:
Jesse, you're one mean, lean PHP codin' machine. Nice job and response time on the reported 'nits'.

One more nitpick. When you go to the log-in page can you set it up so the cursor automatically goes to the user name box? The way it is now you have to click in the box.

Also, the attendee link is MIA.

Thanks for taking the time to debug what I'm sure has been many hours of work.:yes:

One more nitpick. When you go to the log-in page can you set it up so the cursor automatically goes to the user name box? The way it is now you have to click in the box.
Fixed.

Also, the attendee link is MIA.
Click Annual Fly-in at the top. It will be on the left hand side.

Steve said:
Why can't I use a gif for an avatar?:dunno:
If you don't accept cookies, don't allow javascript, or don't use jpeg--you aren't welcome at Gastons.

Actually--just kidding--jpeg, gif, and png are fully supported on the image gallery. The avatar upload uses some very early code I wrote which only supports jpeg. I'll add this to my to do list.

I'll do up an arrival (and departure) procedure.

Ed:

You can just post your arrival video from this year... :D

I sincerely hope that we don't have any more night landings at Gaston's and also hope that we aren't inadvertently encouraging others to do so.

Last edited:
It's not that bad, honest! I wouldn't tell anyone else to do it, but I would again.

OK, here's the first issue of the arrival procedure...
http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/flying/3M0-VIS1.pdf

Lemme know if we need it changed.

Hmm. I always flew the crosswind directly over the dam, and I'm pretty sure others were as well. I'd prefer to keep doing so--because there is no question about where someone is when they are OVER the dam. Plus it really does set you up for a nice crosswind entry..and you can't miss Gastons.

I have flown with quite a few pilots at Gastons. Some of them keep it tight on downwind and others do not. I am not a fan of flying a downwind that does not give you a full visual of the runway. If there is going to be a midair at Gaston's it will be with departing traffic and arriving traffic on base/final.

I think it's well worth it to fly a downwind that shows you the runway. This way you'll know if someone is departing and you can deal with it before the plane is heading right at you. We can't always count on radios. Perhaps you can't do this in the larger airplanes. I still don't see why you can't though--as long as you fly a reasonable speed on downwind and don't turn base too early.

We need to establish a "Do not Do" list as well. Night operations needs to be on the list. I saw quite a few people pulling out onto 6 idling while traffic was landing on 24. I think this is a Bad Idea(TM). Yeah--traffic usually stops before they'll hit you. But you never know. If there is an airplane on 6 you should not assume they are going to sit there and wait for you to land. This is a very bad habit for us to get into. If there is an airplane on the runway--please just go around--don't make assumptions.

Last edited:
I've never flown over the dam in my plane, or any time I rode with anyone. We were always out over that hook in the river. The dam was always in sight. If it's in sight you ain't over it. ;)

Where is it Nick? Did you have cool intersection names on yours? :D

Dam the procedure. Man, I was planning a 450 mile straight in approach from Atlanta.

Back