New Foreflight Q&A thread

Lost quite a bit of confidence in the program today. Worked fine flying to Greenville last Monday; coming home today was another story: All I got was a small checkerboard pattern for high and for low altitude enroute charts. VFR charts were there, but I wasn't VFR. There was a chart update which I did while in Greenville. It worked fine last night before my flight. Today, I depart using the airport diagram, have the route in already and when I hit high altitude enroute chats, the route showed on a plane checkerboard pattern: no chats. Same for low altitude except one patch of charts showed up that wasn't on my route.
After landing, when I got an internet connection again: they all came up.
So, how am I supposed to check before leaving to be sure I have charts? Turn off Wi-fi and make sure the charts work?

In the air, I checked downloads just to be sure all was updated, current charts were all there; all old charts said: get internet connection.

Best,

Dave

I had that happen to me once, too. Not sure why. Another time it happened, I realized I had accidentally chosen one of the weather charts instead by accident (which, of course, can't be pulled up without a connection). I've always wondered since if that wasn't my problem the first time...but it sounds like you're sure you were selecting the right map. Please report this to foreflight; I'm sure they would want to know about it.

I sent a message to support and they responded quickly. It will be this weekend before I can look through it and see if it solves the problem.

Dave

Please report your findings, Dave. I'd be interested, too.

Here's the response they sent. Doesn't make sense to me now because I specifically downloaded all the areas in which this flight went and I got completed download arrows on all downloads, but I'll dig through it and see if it helps.

Best,

Dave
============================================================
The behavior you are seeing suggests you may not have downloaded all files for the areas you are flying. Please look at your Download settings and compare with my attached examples.

You'll want to ensure any charts or plates you want to view while offline are downloaded- that way you'll have access to them anytime, anywhere- even when you don't have an internet connection.

First, in ForeFlight, tap More bottom-right, tap Settings left-column, then in right column set Reload Download List to ON.

Then follow these steps to Set Up your Download preferences:

1) Tap the 'Downloads' button
2) Tap the 'United States' line at the top
3) Switch ON any types of charts you're interested in (VFR sectionals, etc.), and switch OFF any that you won't use (e.g., IFR Enroute High if you don't fly IFR in the flight levels)
4) Select each state for which you want the charts. The line for that state will become highlighted and have a check-mark on it.
5) Once you have everything selected, tap the <Downloads button in the top left corner of the page
6) You're returned to the downloads view where you'll see a number of items pending download. Tap the big green 'Download' button and ForeFlight Mobile will start downloading these for you in bulk.

Then, I suggest you perform the PREFLIGHT DOWNLOAD CHECK on page 43 of the Pilot's Guide to determine if you need to download additional files.

To download the Pilot's Guide to your iPad/iPhone, first install iBooks (free) from the App Store, then tap Safari and go to http://cloudfront.foreflight.com/pilots-guide-to-foreflight-hd-4.0.pdf. When the Guide appears, tap the Open in iBooks. Swipe right to left to turn to the Table of Contents, then tap the subject of interest, and iBooks will take you directly to that page. Use the scroll bar along the bottom to move quickly through the Guide. There is a section on Downloads in the Pilot's Guide.

If still No Joy, please send me a screenshot of your download settings and reference this case number.

Thanks and fly safe!

Stanley Hinson
ForeFlight Customer Support
ForeFlight LLC

Back