New Foreflight Q&A thread

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
When I plan with fltplan.com it tells me ete using speeds I have given it.
Does Foreflight? I always have to manually enter it afai can see.

You can enter performance parameters for your aircraft ("More" tab on iPad version). These numbers will be the default for your flight plans unless you manually enter other numbers in the flight plan box. You can store more than one aircraft, and can choose any of them to be the default.

Yes, as Jeff said, you can set up aircraft profiles. Then, set a default aircraft and it will use that airspeed and default altitude if you just enter a route.

You can choose another aircraft from your list by typing the tail number in your route when you enter it...

KMRF KBPK N999NN
You can also just enter the altitude and airspeed that you want it to use straight into the route box...

KMRF FST KDFW 7000ft 135kt

Kinda of a neat feature with WingX 7pro. I haven't found anything in Foreflight that does similar?

1000000050.jpg

Kinda of a neat feature with WingX 7pro. I haven't found anything in Foreflight that does similar?

1000000050.jpg

Alaska Flyer having injected the WingX factor into this Foreflight thread, I have a question. There is, also, iflight3 for Cessna, produced by WingX. It's available as an app for iPad. Allegedly, it has "more of this and that" than other products. Does anyone know anything about it or have comments.
Note that I've yet to buy an iPad.

HR

You just type it in...

Code:
KLNK KCEK 8500ft 123kt 9gph

Mmmm...not quite. What that screen on WingX does is show you a range of ETEs, fuel expended and speeds at different cruise altitudes based on winds and temps aloft and the aircraft parameters. It's not perfect of course, it doesn't account for higher power settings and slower cruise speeds during the climb to get there nor lower fuel consumption at higher altitudes.

Last edited:
Mmmm...not quite. What that screen on WingX does is show you a range of ETEs, fuel expended and speeds at different cruise altitudes based on winds and temps aloft and the aircraft parameters. It's not perfect of course, it doesn't account for higher power settings and slower cruise speeds during the climb to get there nor lower fuel consumption at higher altitudes.

Hmmm. That's pretty cool!

So, it's... Well, kinda worthless, no? I guess it'll show you where the fastest winds aloft are, but not what'll actually give you the fastest trip.

That's something I'd love to see in ForeFlight, but it's a fairly difficult problem, especially in normally aspirated airplanes. For accuracy's sake, you have to enter an awful lot of data (climb rate, airspeed, fuel burn, etc. for maybe every 1000 feet up to your service ceiling as well as cruise TAS for each altitude... Yadda yadda yadda...) so it's not necessarily an easy or user-friendly problem to solve.

I've made a spreadsheet to calculate such things for a turbonormalized plane, which makes things much easier - Since the power settings for climb and cruise will remain roughly the same from the ground up to as high as you can maintain the desired manifold pressure, the climb rate, indicated airspeed, and fuel burn should be roughly equal at all altitudes. But even that spreadsheet is fairly complex.

So, it's... Well, kinda worthless, no? I guess it'll show you where the fastest winds aloft are, but not what'll actually give you the fastest trip.

That's something I'd love to see in ForeFlight, but it's a fairly difficult problem, especially in normally aspirated airplanes. For accuracy's sake, you have to enter an awful lot of data (climb rate, airspeed, fuel burn, etc. for maybe every 1000 feet up to your service ceiling as well as cruise TAS for each altitude... Yadda yadda yadda...) so it's not necessarily an easy or user-friendly problem to solve.

I've made a spreadsheet to calculate such things for a turbonormalized plane, which makes things much easier - Since the power settings for climb and cruise will remain roughly the same from the ground up to as high as you can maintain the desired manifold pressure, the climb rate, indicated airspeed, and fuel burn should be roughly equal at all altitudes. But even that spreadsheet is fairly complex.

Should I pop up here and reiterate that this feature has been in the (evil company) ChartCase Pro for years now?

It does require all the data input for your aircraft to work. And it doesn't do power settings -- you enter your best speeds at each of a list of a dozen altitudes. It also won't actually do the calculation as to "What's best", but it WILL draw your typical climb rate on the V-Nav portion of the screen at the bottom, and will change your speed in the nav log appropriately at level off, and use the closest speed you claim for that altitude, etc.

It will also allow climbs and descents mid-trip, say -- if you have to cross the Rockies, but then you'll descend and continue for 300 miles after that at a lower altitude, and it'll put the appropriate speeds in for the climb, the cruise at high altitude, the descent, and the lower cruise, and it'll calculate the climb and descent points along the way as you tell it you want to cross XYZ fix at a certain altitude.

It'll show you where that climb or descent needs to start to hit your numbers you entered into it. (If your airplane won't do those numbers, you'll have to swag the difference, of course. So you put something conservative in for climb and descent and know it's not 100% accurate.)

You can do an arbitrary number of climbs and descents throughout the entire trip, if you like. It'll switch to your climb performance numbers for climbs, your descent numbers for descents, and the closest altitude cruise numbers for level flight, during the creation of the flight plan.

If you then just poke at the "top" altitude you want for the segments, you can watch the ETA change and pick the "best" speed for your flight. It'll use winds aloft from DUAT(S), or live from the XM Weather receiver.

The only annoying part was that the entire route's waypoints are continuously updated with the current conditions and speeds once you're flying, especially if you have the XM hooked up. Winds aloft and ground wind changes actually automatically update the flight plan/log on the screen, and this was one of my complaints... if you wanted to see if you were ahead or behind schedule you had to print the flight log out or turn off the wind features to find the original times, since it would update all of them continuously according to your groundspeed.

But if you had the original plan printed out or you went to the screen where the PDF was available -- I iike writing on my flight logs, so I printed them -- you could see if you were hitting checkpoints on time or not. The ETE and ETA numbers were dead on, but you could pull the throttle back and slow down and they'd change. That's correct behavior, but you had to have something to reference how that affected your original ETA estimate.

So ChartCase Pro is not 100% accurate doing all the V-Nav speeds, etc... but it's really really really darn close. It's at least as close as any paper Nav Log if you feed it with the correct information and fly the plan it creates.

I'm never going back to it, due to the company's behavior, but I do hope Foreflight catches up to their feature-set in the V-Nav regard.

All the airspace is displayed on the V-Nav strip too... you can see that you're flying under the Class-B shelf, not have to tap and wait for a block to come up and read the altitudes, and interpolate that information. The little airplane's truckin' along under the shelf in the scrolling strip that shows the V-Nav stuff.

And it doesn't stop there... cloud layers are depicted on the V-Nav strip too, from current weather (if you have the XM receiver plugged in) or the last weather downloaded before you launched... as you punch in an altitude for cruise, the V-Nav strip at the bottom updates, and you can see that you'll be above a cloud layer somewhere 100 miles down the road, but it ends before your destination (if that's how you do things... VFR over the top like that), or you can change the altitude and it'll show you underneath the layer.

Software-wise, it's really good stuff. Hardware-wise, there's no good options anymore for putting it in the cockpit that come close to the portability and brightness of the iPad. They locked themselves into Windows, and they're paying the price now. They have a totally crippled iPad EFB package out now, I see... but it's not even close to the feature-set in FF, let alone in their flagship product.

It's seemingly "minor" stuff, that's a lot of work to code. I know. That's why I'm willing to wait on the other vendors. I'm a little bummed that I won't have XM along this year for the trip to OSH though. It was very useful last year, line of t-storms, alter course to the south, fly along them, done. I'll have to work harder for that information this year.

All in all, it *could* be a very interesting year for announcements from aviation software companies at OSH this year. I'm still crossing my fingers for XM weather on the iPad... from anyone. If they want to release it just PRIOR to OSH... that'd be great... unless they're making plans with Mother Nature to turn the weather off for everyone to get there first. ;)

XM Weather is the one huge thing I miss going to the iPad. If I were doing any serious weather flying, I'd have to go back to CC Pro, and that would make me a sad Panda.

There's no graphics, but co-pilot does exactly that. Yes, it takes time to initially load all the parameters for an aircraft, but there are lots already in the library so you can adjust to a specific airplane. Then define the flight and time of departure and push the Weather button. It gets winds aloft and determines airsped & everything.

Co-pilot, eh? Got a link?

I found this... http://www.copilotlive.com/us/ - no that's not it.

And I've known about this for a long time, but that's cause "Joel on Software" is a freakin' excellent blog on how to run a software company, and this is Joel's company... https://www.copilot.com/

And this, but my God.. it runs on PalmOS?! http://lauriedavis9.tripod.com/copilot/

And then I run out of aviation-related stuff on Google and get Diabetes management software... http://www.abbottdiabetescare.com/copilot-health-management-system.html

So I didn't find it. ;) Someone needs some help with their Marketing and probably a name change. :D

The lack of graphics would be painful for this Apple user though. You know we're too dumb to use anything without graphics and pretty icons. Good thing I know Unix. That OS is all text, and people tell me it's just awful.

I hate it when it makes me money, myself. Nothing text-only should be allowed to make money. Steve Jobs says so. :rofl: (Don't tell him I open a command prompt every day on my Mac. He might take it away from me. Especially if he finds out I write shell scripts and perl in it instead of AppleScript. I think secretly, his liver knew every time I opened a terminal window on a Mac, and it died a little inside every time I did. I may have been the cause of the death of Steve Jobs liver!)

Plus it's really going to be hard to get that XM Weather I want back, on something that's non-graphical... Sigh... if you're really talking about that Palm thing. Yikes.

Should I pop up here and reiterate that this feature has been in the (evil company) ChartCase Pro for years now?

No. You say that as often as I post my Johnson Creek picture. :rofl:

All in all, it *could* be a very interesting year for announcements from aviation software companies at OSH this year. I'm still crossing my fingers for XM weather on the iPad... from anyone. If they want to release it just PRIOR to OSH... that'd be great... unless they're making plans with Mother Nature to turn the weather off for everyone to get there first. ;)

XM Weather is the one huge thing I miss going to the iPad.

Your wish will come true soon. https://www.baronservices.com/news_pdf/MobileLink.pdf "Late Second Quarter" sounds an awful lot like OSH to me. Bring your piggy bank. ;)

aviationsafety already does this.

Okay, here's a REALLY dumb question about foreflight.

I have looked at the demo's on their website and they do not show a moving map. Somewhere though, I read that foreflight does a moving map. So does it or does it not do a moving map as does a regular handheld gps?

If it does not do a moving map, is there software available for the iphone/ipad that will?

Doc

Okay, here's a REALLY dumb question about foreflight.

I have looked at the demo's on their website and they do not show a moving map. Somewhere though, I read that foreflight does a moving map. So does it or does it not do a moving map as does a regular handheld gps?

If it does not do a moving map, is there software available for the iphone/ipad that will?

Doc

Yes, it does...as long as you have a GPS. The 3G models have internal GPS and you can get external units to add GPS capabilities to the wifi only models.

It overlays one of the map sets (VFR sectional, low enroute, etc).

Here is a screenshot that I posted of a flight that I had in an ERJ. This is what it looks like over the low enroute.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=714183#post714183

Well as I said, it was a DUMB question. I downloaded the free version onto my Iphone, but haven't had a chance to download many of the extra's. I can see enough to tell how it will work.

I can't imagine not going ahead and buying a one year subscription, but I will wait until after I fly with it.

If it will substitute for a handheld GPS I might even go ahead and buy an IPad. That would cost less than one of the least expensive handheld GPS units.

What do you give up with Foreflight versus a handheld GPS?

Doc

Doc

I have a Garmin 296 too.

What do I think I give up? Well...I base my list on the fact that there are other smaller iWhatever apps to do things that Foreflight doesn't (like the basic E6B functions that are available in the Garmin, or weight and balance.)

• Track up moving map
  • Color shaded terrain and obstacles with popup warnings.
  • Flight recorder/electronic logbook. It's nice to look up your flights on the 296 after the fact when completing your logbook. But there's probably another app for that.
  • Track download for some other purpose (geewhiz stuff like a Google Earth KMZ of your flight)
  • Custom basemaps. My 296 has a detailed topo relief map that I did up in ArcGIS and then loaded onto my unit. On the other hand there are apps for that if you are willing to switch back and forth between apps in the air.
  • Virtual panel though I never seemed to use it on my Garmin.
  • CDI screen. Never really used it either.
  • And of course XM weather but that will be available on the iPad soon. And I never had it in the first place ;)
Can't think of much else I would miss. And it is worth mentioning that if you choose WingX 7 Pro for iPad instead of Foreflight it has E6B functions within their app, as well as color shaded terrain.

I'm holding onto my 296 for the time being, though I must admit I haven't flown with it since last November.

Last edited:
Thanks AlaskaFlyer! That was a good overview of the differences. I think I'm going to try to be happy with Foreflight on the Iphone for awhile. If I really learn to like it in the air, I might get an IPad. I wish they made something in between the size of the IPad and the size of the IPhone, but life is filled with compromises.

Doc

I think alaskaflyer covered it for the Garmin 296.

It really depends on which handheld GPS you're talkin' about though.

Aviation Consumer has tried to do some "shootouts" between various products lately but by the time they're published, some manufacturer has come out with something new or the software has been updated.

Creating a table of all features in all aviation GPS products would be an utter nightmare right now. Expensive too, if you didn't have fully-updated versions of all products donated by the manufacturers for a bake-off.

I wish they made something in between the size of the IPad and the size of the IPhone, but life is filled with compromises.

... Which, ironically, is what a 7-inch iPad would be. ;)

When the iPad came out, everyone said "Oh, it's nothing but a giant iPod Touch." And, that was, at its most basic level, correct. However, the size makes all the difference in the world.

I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with flying with a 7-inch tablet. I sure wouldn't want the iPad to be any bigger than it is, but I don't think I'd want it to be much smaller. The ability to show a lot of information simultaneously is a large part of the appeal. I rarely use ForeFlight on my iPhone any more, and when I do it's for simple things like looking up a METAR or a frequency or something. For maps and flight planning, it's iPad all the way.

I have a Garmin 296 too.

What do I think I give up? Well...I base my list on the fact that there are other smaller iWhatever apps to do things that Foreflight doesn't (like the basic E6B functions that are available in the Garmin, or weight and balance.)

• Track up moving map
  • Color shaded terrain and obstacles with popup warnings.
  • Flight recorder/electronic logbook. It's nice to look up your flights on the 296 after the fact when completing your logbook. But there's probably another app for that.
  • Track download for some other purpose (geewhiz stuff like a Google Earth KMZ of your flight)
  • Custom basemaps. My 296 has a detailed topo relief map that I did up in ArcGIS and then loaded onto my unit. On the other hand there are apps for that if you are willing to switch back and forth between apps in the air.
  • Virtual panel though I never seemed to use it on my Garmin.
  • CDI screen. Never really used it either.
  • And of course XM weather but that will be available on the iPad soon. And I never had it in the first place ;)
Can't think of much else I would miss. And it is worth mentioning that if you choose WingX 7 Pro for iPad instead of Foreflight it has E6B functions within their app, as well as color shaded terrain.

I'm holding onto my 296 for the time being, though I must admit I haven't flown with it since last November.
Ah, one other thing....
replaceable batteries in the Garmins. Only an issue if you fly a plane that doesn't have a power socket, though it needs to supply at least 2 amps for the iPad. That shouldn't be a problem, though. The restart Cessnas provide 10 amps.

They're optional equipment, though, and the one I regularly fly doesn't have one, so I need to bring with enough charged batteries for the trip. :(

Ah, one other thing....
replaceable batteries in the Garmins. Only an issue if you fly a plane that doesn't have a power socket, though it needs to supply at least 2 amps for the iPad. That shouldn't be a problem, though. The restart Cessnas provide 10 amps.

They're optional equipment, though, and the one I regularly fly doesn't have one, so I need to bring with enough charged batteries for the trip. :(

Well, there are plug-in auxiliary battery units for the iPad and iPhone, so long as you aren't also using a plug-in external GPS at the same time.

Otherwise....that's why Foreflight lets you have two devices on one subscription. :)

Last edited:
Ah, one other thing....

Well, let's be clear - The Garmin actually needs the replaceable batteries because it only lasts a few hours (3-4 on a good day, IME). The iPad, OTOH, lasts 10 hours and that's longer than I last in the cockpit in a day! Charge it overnight, go again tomorrow...

Well, let's be clear - The Garmin actually needs the replaceable batteries because it only lasts a few hours (3-4 on a good day, IME). The iPad, OTOH, lasts 10 hours and that's longer than I last in the cockpit in a day! Charge it overnight, go again tomorrow...
That's true of the Garmin when using XM. Without XM, it's closer to 8-10 hours per battery. Of course, the iPad doesn't have XM (yet). Be interesting to see what that does to its battery life.

...and it is north up only. Same with WingX and other iPad aviation apps that I'm familiar with.

Which, IMHO, is fine with me. While it's preferable to make it selective, I wouldn't even consider something that didn't allow me to operate north-up. Nearly tossed a CFI from my plane who reset my 430 to track-up without telling me and then tried to insist that it was the ONLY correct way to fly. After clarifying that I was PIC and resetting it, I went on to demonstrate that it really was best for me to use north-up. YMMV.

Which, IMHO, is fine with me. While it's preferable to make it selective, I wouldn't even consider something that didn't allow me to operate north-up. Nearly tossed a CFI from my plane who reset my 430 to track-up without telling me and then tried to insist that it was the ONLY correct way to fly. After clarifying that I was PIC and resetting it, I went on to demonstrate that it really was best for me to use north-up. YMMV.

I always liked track up. But I've gotten used to north up for VFR. I'd like to see them do both but I understand the challenges.

... Which, ironically, is what a 7-inch iPad would be. ;)

When the iPad came out, everyone said "Oh, it's nothing but a giant iPod Touch." And, that was, at its most basic level, correct. However, the size makes all the difference in the world.

I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with flying with a 7-inch tablet. I sure wouldn't want the iPad to be any bigger than it is, but I don't think I'd want it to be much smaller. The ability to show a lot of information simultaneously is a large part of the appeal. I rarely use ForeFlight on my iPhone any more, and when I do it's for simple things like looking up a METAR or a frequency or something. For maps and flight planning, it's iPad all the way.

Wait, they have a 7" version? What's the l x w x t dimensions on that?

Ah, can't mount a 10" on the panel. It's too big. 8" diagonal is perfect fit.

Of course 10 inches is great for a (completely and utterly uncertified) glass panel :wink2:

iMonitor-PR-image-72dpi.jpg

Yes, I know that I've posted this before but I can't help it. There is just something so...Apple about it.

Well here's a question for you:

I downloaded the trial version of Foreflight onto my IPhone yesterday and am impressed with all it's funcitionality. That functionality only goes so far without the GPS receiver working. The GPS receiver in the IPhone is working fine with the standard MAPS function that came with the IPhone, but will not send data to the Foreflight application.

I went through the FAQ's and checked all the things indicated including Location Services in the Settings area, but can't get the GPS to work with Foreflight.

Anyone ever been in this pickle before?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Doc

The GPS receiver in the IPhone is working fine with the standard MAPS function that came with the IPhone, but will not send data to the Foreflight application.

I went through the FAQ's and checked all the things indicated including Location Services in the Settings area, but can't get the GPS to work with Foreflight.

When you say you "can't get the GPS to work with ForeFlight" - What are you trying to do, and what result are you seeing?

Well here's a question for you:

I downloaded the trial version of Foreflight onto my IPhone yesterday and am impressed with all it's funcitionality. That functionality only goes so far without the GPS receiver working. The GPS receiver in the IPhone is working fine with the standard MAPS function that came with the IPhone, but will not send data to the Foreflight application.

Anyone ever been in this pickle before?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Doc

When you first install and launch an application that uses the GPS it will ask you if the app can use Location Services. If you say no there, the app will not have access to the GPS. Go into the settings to see if Location Services are turned on for the Foreflight app.

Thanks ASCII and Jason! I kept poking around and found the application menu under Location Services and enabled the Foreflight app.

So, for anyone in the future searching this problem the solution is: Settings/General/Location Services/ then touch the on button to get a list of apps.

It seems to work great and I can't wait to fly with it.

As a comment, I got an almost immediate and savvy reply from Foreflight techsupport at Team@foreflight.com. These people were friendly, concerned and savvy. I have technical support experience so I know a good tech support organization when I see it. My first impression of theirs was TOP NOTCH!

There are too many technical support groups whose main goal is to get you off the phone. It appears that this is not the case with foreflight support. From what I can see they're a top notch outfit.

Doc

One other thing that a garmin portable has that foreflight doesn't is accurate airspace alerts. It'll accurately show you where the airspace is (class B, C and D) and warn you before you hit it.

I'm going to be flying around the edges of some class C on a flight today and was thinking of how much easier that would be if I took my 396 with me.

(And before anybody starts, yes, I'm aware that I can just be on with approach and then I wouldn't have to worry about it. That doesn't take away from the fact that accurate airspace depiction and airspace alerts would be nice to have on the flight.)

Back