New ForeFlight Passenger app

I use my RAM mounted iPad mini while flying while my girlfriend uses my full size iPad. Both running Foreflight. I find it made her nervousness about flying go away.

I use my RAM mounted iPad mini while flying while my girlfriend uses my full size iPad. Both running Foreflight. I find it made her nervousness about flying go away.

I think that's what I'm going to do since the new mini has come out.

I’m cranky cause I’m in training. But still, as far as ‘big news’ is concerned, this is weak at best.

Who said it was big news? I actually posted it specifically because, while it's useful, it's also really easy to miss.

The biggest issue with featuritis is that it adds to the size of the application, making it take up more space on your iPad, leaving less room for other apps and takes longer to load. Older iPads start to get dysfunctional. Also, you have to understand and scroll through more settings to configure the application.

Quite the opposite for my wife. I have ADSB in on my iPad and she saw all those green triangles out there and just knew they were on a collision course with us. No amount of explaining green, plus, minus, etc could calm her down, not to mention on final, I was right beside another guy landing on the parallel runway at Chandler. She didn't like that at all.

Last edited:
United, Channel 9. Got rid of it because, well, can't let the public know what's actually going on. Packaged the shelving of it under the guise of "security"

Thanks...I even knew it was channel 9.

I fly on United a lot. Couple weeks ago on the way back from Brussels, Captain made his spiel:

"Between myself, the FO, and our reserve Captain we have a combined 125 years of flying experience, 56,000 hours logged, and 69 years with United.... If you'd like to listen in to ATC communications, channel 9 will be available."

I was amazed myself, but sure enough all the way until we got over the Atlantic they had it on. It was not turned on once we got into the US and I was asleep for Canada.

As for the new feature. Good for them, and I'm all for innovation, but I think this one will wear off pretty quick.

The biggest issue with featuritis is that it adds to the size of the application, making it take up more space on your iPad, leaving less room for other apps and takes longer to load. Older iPads start to get dysfunctional. Also, you have to understand and scroll through more settings to configure the application.

So, do you think they should just stop development? No new features?

Sorry, that's not how technology works. If that's how we did things in technology, we wouldn't even have tablet EFBs to begin with.

My lead flight attendant downloaded it and said it was neat. Now I can keep the aft cabin on crew ISO!

I been told it has been well received and the simple graphics make it great for a passenger...it’s free...and much better for a non aviator who may or not be able to grasp the clutter of the full app..

I been told it has been well received and the simple graphics make it great for a passenger...it’s free...and much better for a non aviator who may or not be able to grasp the clutter of the full app..

I don’t want her to see the clutter.......

She be like;

Are we going to fly through than red stuff?

Are we going to hit one of those planes?

What lake are we over?

Is that the I40 or I30 freeway?

Is that the red river or Oachita?

So.... basic is good.

Just caught up on this thread and it reminds me that there is still a contingent here that will complain about literally anything (including my use of the word "literally").

Just caught up on this thread and it reminds me that there is still a contingent here that will complain about literally anything (including my use of the word "literally").

Was it really necessary to use parenthetical diction to make you point? According to Grammarbook.com, "The use of parentheses indicates that the writer considered the information less important—almost an afterthought." (Grammar Book, 2018). Did you really use the parenthesis to validate your main idea?

References:
Grammar Book. (2018). Parentheses and Brackets. Retrieved from https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/parens.asp

Now if they could integrate this into a commercial airline flight, that would be pretty cool.

You can already do it.

Before I board a commercial flight, using my iPad, I view the route on Flightaware, which conveniently offers to view it in Foreflight. Just one click is all it takes, and shazam, there’s your flight in Foreflight.

You can try it right now, while sitting in your livingroom — just pick a random commercial flight.

I don’t get updates after departure, but otherwise, it’s what you’re wishing for.

The idea is great, but the implementation is terrible in that the map looks like something from 1970...zero detail. If you are going to do something for non-pilots, then make the map look like something they are used to looking at on their phone, like Apple Maps or Google Maps, ideally with a satellite map toggle...not something that looks like a kid sketched it with a crayon. let them zoom in and see as much detail as they want.

literally

I would like to complain about the overuse of this word, even when used properly.

Also, I thought the app looked pretty cool when I saw it was out. I think I'll see if my wife and/or kid want to download it. I mean, they have all the other apps on their iDevices... what's one more?

I would like to complain about the overuse of this word, even when used properly.

Also, I thought the app looked pretty cool when I saw it was out. I think I'll see if my wife and/or kid want to download it. I mean, they have all the other apps on their iDevices... what's one more?
You literally waited nine months to complain.

The idea is great, but the implementation is terrible in that the map looks like something from 1970...zero detail. If you are going to do something for non-pilots, then make the map look like something they are used to looking at on their phone, like Apple Maps or Google Maps, ideally with a satellite map toggle...not something that looks like a kid sketched it with a crayon. let them zoom in and see as much detail as they want.
Satellite imagery without the internet is a data hog.

I thought this was a cool idea when I saw it a year ago, then I thought about it and realized anybody that I know that cares would prefer the full app. JMO

You literally waited nine months to complain.

holy necro thread!! I could have complained sooner? Lol.

guess I missed being an early adopter of that app, too. We never downloaded it.

I fly on United a lot. Couple weeks ago on the way back from Brussels, Captain made his spiel:

"Between myself, the FO, and our reserve Captain we have a combined 125 years of flying experience, 56,000 hours logged, and 69 years with United.... If you'd like to listen in to ATC communications, channel 9 will be available."

I was amazed myself, but sure enough all the way until we got over the Atlantic they had it on. It was not turned on once we got into the US and I was asleep for Canada.

As for the new feature. Good for them, and I'm all for innovation, but I think this one will wear off pretty quick.
Ok, since the thread has already been revived, I won't feel bad about posting.

I flew for United for a bit (pre-9/11) when they still had 727s. As the Flight Engineer, it was was job to set up the cockpit, to include turning on "Channel 9." It was basically a toggle switch on the overhead panel, and broadcast whatever the first jumpseater's audio panel was set to.

Captains came in three flavors:
1. Channel 9 is great.
2. Turn Channel 9 off, unless a passenger asks for it.
3. Do not turn Channel 9 on under any circumstances.

Maybe it was me, but if I got a Captain #3, I immediately pre=judged him/her, and not in a good way. 99% of the time, the reasoning was because some "attorney in the back" is going to be listening to every thing we say, ready to file a suit against us if we screw something up. Man, if you're not confident in your ability to safely take us from LGA to ORD without getting sued, maybe you're in the wrong line of work. But I have to say, no matter which Captain it was, the first step in any emergency, or abnormal situation was to turn Channel 9 off. You didn't want the passengers to hear us telling center that we've lost a hydraulic system and need to hold while we run all the checklists. Although stuff like that is a non-event, I'm sure 90% of the customers wouldn't think so.

The cool thing, though, about Channel 9 running through the JS1 audio panel, is that we could set that up not just for ATC comms, but we could set it to monitor any radio. Many an evening, I had passenger requests to listen to ballgames over Channel 9. I just put the JS1 panel on ADF, and found the local AM radio station that was broadcasting the game, and voila... sports radio.

Maybe it was me, but if I got a Captain #3, I immediately pre=judged him/her, and not in a good way. 99% of the time, the reasoning was because some "attorney in the back" is going to be listening to every thing we say, ready to file a suit against us if we screw something up. Man, if you're not confident in your ability to safely take us from LGA to ORD without getting sued, maybe you're in the wrong line of work.

Or maybe in this litigious society where anybody will sue over any perceived wrong whether it was real or not, he was being prudent.

Back