New ForeFlight Passenger app

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Looks like ForeFlight 11.2 made it into the app store a couple of days ago, as did their new ForeFlight Passenger app.

ForeFlight Passenger is a free app that can connect to a regular copy of ForeFlight, with permission of the pilot (who must enable it in ForeFlight Mobile). Then, the passenger can see the flight plan route line on a map and follow along, see the ETA, etc.

It's been kind of interesting to see Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight diverge just a little as they come up with ingenious new features. This is a pretty cool one, IMO.

That's neat, although typically my passengers are holding my ipad for me.

Now if they could integrate this into a commercial airline flight, that would be pretty cool.

Ok, this is cool. Hope GP does something similar

ok I'll say it....big deal. goofy little gimmick app. I could see using this hardly ever. we don't need more excuses for people to stare at their stupid phones instead of, you know, like actually enjoying the flight and looking out side. not to mention the more people look down at their phones the more likely they'd be to get queasy. if you really want to add something useful to the app to make it helpful, show traffic on the passenger app. otherwise, meh.

if someone expressed interest in taking a flight but really getting into the nitty gritty technical details, I'd have them download the actual app (in my case garmin pilot but it could even be FF) since they get a 30 day free trial. then they'd have a shtload more info to look at.

tenor.gif

lol maybe. but we got garmin coming out with awesome somewhat affordable glass panels and foreflight puts out a passenger version of the magenta line and you want me to be excited about that??? ok, sorry, my bad....YIPPEEEEEE! now I never have to answer the question "how much longer til we get there?" using 'words'! now passengers can open up the app and find out for themselves! YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!

better?

lol maybe. but we got garmin coming out with awesome somewhat affordable glass panels and foreflight puts out a passenger version of the magenta line and you want me to be excited about that??? ok, sorry, my bad....YIPPEEEEEE! now I never have to answer the question "how much longer til we get there?" using 'words'! now passengers can open up the app and find out for themselves! YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!

better?

Damn. Prison changed you.

I have to say I agree with eman, despite calling him a debbie downer. I've never flown anywhere and said "Gee wouldn't it be great if someone could follow along but on a completely separate app. I wish foreflight would come up with something for this problem"

Take your iPad/Foreflight device with you. That's what I do as it's already on my phone.

That only works for me if I have a window seat. Do others have success from middle or aisle seats?

How’d y’all like that new EULA you
Now have to click on? Basically says screw you customer. ... yes, I read it too to botom.

Not having a back seat,and having foreflight mounted on the windscreen. I see no need for the app.

You know the great thing about software features:

YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THEM IF YOU DON'T NEED THEM. :eek:

ok I'll say it....big deal. goofy little gimmick app. I could see using this hardly ever. we don't need more excuses for people to stare at their stupid phones instead of, you know, like actually enjoying the flight and looking out side. not to mention the more people look down at their phones the more likely they'd be to get queasy. if you really want to add something useful to the app to make it helpful, show traffic on the passenger app. otherwise, meh.

if someone expressed interest in taking a flight but really getting into the nitty gritty technical details, I'd have them download the actual app (in my case garmin pilot but it could even be FF) since they get a 30 day free trial. then they'd have a shtload more info to look at.

Are you married? Does your wife fly with you?

I am, and mine does. And I did put regular ForeFlight on her phone once, but you only get one 30-day trial, and she had no interest in seeing aviation charts, or learning how to use the app. She just wants to know "When are we going to be there?" and while I'm happy to answer that, she often asks me at inopportune times.

In addition, passengers would need to make sure they had the proper data downloaded and "Packed" to access in flight, and the pilot would have to share the flight plan with them manually, and they would have to set up the HUD with an ETA display and such... The Passenger app requires no knowledge or setup effort, it just serves its purpose very well, and in a much smaller package than the full version of ForeFlight.

Take your iPad/Foreflight device with you. That's what I do as it's already on my phone.

I do that on airline flights too, but I have to look up the flight plan in FlightAware prior to flight, and I don't get any updates to the flight plan en route, unless I manage to have a handheld radio and keep up with all the frequency changes so that I can listen in.

If Boeing was smart, they would add this functionality directly to their airplanes, now that they have ForeFlight. Maybe there could be "United Channel 9" style ATC audio streamed as well, as long as the user hit a button accepting that they cannot complain about anything they hear in it, and they're permanently banned from ATC audio streaming if they do.

I have 2 big fat moving maps at eye level with ETE and GS displayed right in front of us. This helps how?

You know the great thing about software features:

YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE THEM IF YOU DON'T NEED THEM. :eek:…..

nope, but I can still have an opinion about them.

stupid app. or maybe I should just say "good for you foreflight. really top notch out of the box thinking right there, foreflight. revolutionizing GA as we know it, foreflight." there's some positive feedback for ya.

not whining. Just disagreeing with the purported awesomeness of such a, IMO, useless app.

I guess only Apple/Foreflight fan boys are allowed to express opinions.

Foreflight could make an airplane passenger equivalent of the Little Tykes steering wheel straps to a child car seat, complete with a squeaky PTT button that does nothing, and you guys would be rushing to be see who could the first to wipe off your chins.

I forget which airline but they used to have a channel on their in flight entertainment where you could listen to ATC.

I forget which airline but they used to have a channel on their in flight entertainment where you could listen to ATC.

United, Channel 9. Got rid of it because, well, can't let the public know what's actually going on. Packaged the shelving of it under the guise of "security"

Not useless for those of us who actually fly with non-aviation-knowledgeable passengers. :p

I've flown with plenty of them. (None of the lifelife patients have been aviationists.) I point to the two GPSes in the panel. Show them what the GS is, and show them what the ETA is. They have no issue following along. Maybe you need smarter passengers. :D

It was sometimes entertaining. Like on that DEN-BUR flight in 1993 when the crew missed a handoff and flew out of range of the Center controller they'd been talking to. After a long silence and several failed attempts to raise Center, they finally called Grand Junction Tower to ask for the Center frequency in this sector. :oops:

I do that. I have a bad habit of not downloading the required charts before I leave home so sometimes the app is 'flying' over nothing. I find it interesting to identify ground features on the chart. Since I mostly flew at below 5000', trying to figure out how far away <feature> is from the plane is a challenge. It was good practice.

Here...eat a Snickers. ;)

I’m cranky cause I’m in training. But still, as far as ‘big news’ is concerned, this is weak at best.

Yeah, I mean it's not really that big of a deal. I'll just show my wife on the iPad anyway.

Training? Instrument?

Yeah, I mean it's not really that big of a deal. I'll just show my wife on the iPad anyway.

Training? Instrument?

I AM instrument training but I’m mainly training for Rough River. A steady increase in alcohol consumption every day for the next 30 days. Prep the liver, u know...

cd48007669e47a96dff1597b15ae60ed.jpg

I AM instrument training but I’m mainly training for Rough River. A steady increase in alcohol consumption every day for the next 30 days. Prep the liver, u know...

cd48007669e47a96dff1597b15ae60ed.jpg

Drinking used motor oil has to be bad for you.... 100LL, not so much. Think of the children.....

The worst part is that ForeFlight is mandatory and you are forced to use the passenger app. Too bad it wasn’t completely optional.

not whining. Just disagreeing with the purported awesomeness of such a, IMO, useless app.

I guess only Apple/Foreflight fan boys are allowed to express opinions.

Foreflight could make an airplane passenger equivalent of the Little Tykes steering wheel straps to a child car seat, complete with a squeaky PTT button that does nothing, and you guys would be rushing to be see who could the first to wipe off your chins.

Is it out yet??? :D

The worst part is that ForeFlight is mandatory and you are forced to use the passenger app. Too bad it wasn’t completely optional.

This has been said already. ‘Optional’ doesn’t make it any less shtty.

There are a whole lot of GA airplanes where your passenger isn’t sitting right beside you able to look at the panel and your iPad. Even a 6-seat single has people who are far removed from the cockpit gadgets. Not being useful in your use case doesn’t mean it’s worthless.

I do that and I love it!! Load the flight plan in and everything. Makes the time pass. Get to learn about arrival procedures and departure procedures. Learned why some Airways are grey line squiggled out on last flight.

Back