New "Flight" movie with Denzel Washington

Shades of the Alaska Airlines MD80 in the Pacific - at one point in the CVR, the Captain has the aircraft inverted, observes that they have some control. Lordy me, they fought to live so hard.

Haunts me to read the transcripts.

Hope the movie's good.

Shades of the Alaska Airlines MD80 in the Pacific - at one point in the CVR, the Captain has the aircraft inverted, observes that they have some control. Lordy me, they fought to live so hard.

Hope the movie's good.

11 minutes from initial comment they were in trouble until someone else said they hit the water.

A very very bad day at the office.

I'm a huge Denzel fan, but from the trailer it looks like Hollywood 'tweaked' some of the physics, again.

But I'll watch it and be entertained.

He flys inverted in an airliner using only the trim. So much for that hope.

Well, in the Sioux City crash landing, an aircraft lost all flight controls and was brought down using only differential thrust, and with one of three engines disabled. While there were fatalities, there were more survivors than deaths. Sure, it's not inverted, but it does mean that pilots can overcome in-flight emergencies in pretty incredible fashion.

Oh come on guys if it was made totally by the book then it would be boring. It would have just a bunch of garbled words from air traffic control and the pilot, some screaming, then just a bunch of non distinguishable noise. If they add a little bit to the movie so be it.

I really despise that they added the alcohol bent.

About the only reason I will probably go see it is Denzel is a good actor and it has an airplane in it.

The rest will be summarily ripped to shreds in a future posting. ;) Because yes, it will be dull and cliche'.

Looks interesting at least.

Also, why do I have to watch an advertisement before I can see a film trailer... which is basically an advertisement?!?!?!

Yea someone just showed me this at work. I think I will have to see it. Looks interesting

Oh come on guys if it was made totally by the book then it would be boring.

joe1.jpg

Nice thing about the 707, it can do everything but read.

Well I went and seen this last night. Definitely interesting. Not exactly what I thought but pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I saw it last night as well, more a movie about alcoholism and drug addiction rather than flying.

Hope the movie's good.
Is that the one where I think the FO exclaims as they are about to hit the water "here we go?"

Well I went and seen this last night. Definitely interesting. Not exactly what I thought but pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I sort of guessed that the preview had all the flying scenes in it and the rest would be about that issue. I'll wait for cable.

I saw it last night as well, more a movie about alcoholism and drug addiction rather than flying.

I saw it last night and definitely agree with you. It was a lot different than the perception I had from the trailer.

+1
Same feeling. Was depressing to watch and the trailer is pure bait and switch.

Nice that he is giving a temperance lecture to the other inmates at the end and am glad that his conscience prevented him from "passing the buck" of responsibility to his concubine; but I felt he needed prison from the beginning, both from flying with a .24 BAC as well as not abiding by his promise to quit.

------------------------
Point of confusion --- his dad's 172 -- registration appeared to be N1661G. OKC says that belongs to a Citabria, not a 172. Anyone else see the registration?

Last edited:
Speaking of movie to see is anyone besides me going to see the Spielberg Lincoln movie? That looks really good, no he is not a campire hunter, this one is based on the book A Team of Rivals and is more historically based.

The other movie I am looking forward to is Life of Pi. It is also supposed to be good and got 3.14 stars!

+1

Point of confusion --- his dad's 172 -- registration appeared to be N1661G. OKC says that belongs to a Citabria, not a 172. Anyone else see the registration?

One of the pictures in the home showed the last two letters to be YG. I punched in N166YG and couldn't find anything :confused:

For a bit there I was thinking it was just a politically correct answer to Pilot Chesley Sullenberger's Hudson River splashdown, but it seems to be a lot more than that.

There have been all kinds of unlikely outcomes when it comes to aircraft landings under emergency conditions. There was a British pilot who brought in a plane that had a broken wing, inverted until the last second, then rolled it away from the break to land it upright on its belly. Of course it wasn't a passenger jet, but it did happen.

Then the many stories that took place in WWII that pushes believability to the limit when it came to severely damaged aircraft returning home.

From the trailer, it looks like the movie has a whole lot more going for it than just a preposterous and very unlikely landing of an airliner full of passengers.

-John

From the trailer, it looks like the movie has a whole lot more going for it than just a preposterous and very unlikely landing of an airliner full of passengers.

-John

Yeah, the airplane is merely incidental. Movie really has nothing to do with flying. It's just a justification to expand an agenda anecdote

Is that the one where I think the FO exclaims as they are about to hit the water "here we go?"

Yes, Scott, it is. Every time I read the transcript from the CVR from that one, it truly brings tears to my eyes. They never, ever, stopped fighting to live, to save their passengers.

And the pilots of the other aircraft watching, imagine what they must have felt, watching the MD80 crashing into the water...

I actually enjoyed the movie, I knew from the trailers it was not going to be about flying, i was expecting it to be much more a court room movie. Still liked it. I thought the copilot was pretty funny when they went to roll it.

I saw it last nite. It was ok. I thought they overdid the drinking aspect and underplayed Don Cheadle's role as the attorney (great actor). Also I kept waiting on FAA inspector Mike Lozano to appear with an emergency certificate suspension.

Now that I know Don Cheadle's in it...I MUST see it!

No matter how you might try to do it, airliners simply do not have the structural strength on their topside to be able to successfully handle an inverted landing. Heck, that airplane flying to Hawaii years ago lost a huge chunk of its upper covering just from the wind.

If they landed it on a giant marshmallow, it would still disintegrate. That part of the movie is nothing but complete nonsense.

-John

That part of the movie is nothing but complete nonsense.

-John

I am kind of confused. Which part is nonsense? He rolled it right side up for the landing.

Not saying there isn't a healthy dose of nonsense otherwise . . .

No matter how you might try to do it, airliners simply do not have the structural strength on their topside to be able to successfully handle an inverted landing. Heck, that airplane flying to Hawaii years ago lost a huge chunk of its upper covering just from the wind.

If they landed it on a giant marshmallow, it would still disintegrate. That part of the movie is nothing but complete nonsense.

-John

The aircraft did not land inverted, it was righted just before touchdown. Now why the nose down pitch did not resume after righting the plane did not happen is what I'd like to know..

Back