New FAA Medical Certification of Small Aircraft Pilots (BasicMed)

as mentioned before the medical requirements really haven't changed, so if you can't pass a 3rd class exam you should not pass a BasicMed exam either. What has changed is how approval is granted.
BasicMed is NOT a way for someone to "game the system" or get around the requirements but it should streamline the process and speed up the approvals by getting the bureaucracy out of the way.
There is nothing stopping someone that knows they can't pass the medical from flying now. This new regulation will not stop that either.

as mentioned before the medical requirements really haven't changed, so if you can't pass a 3rd class exam you should not pass a BasicMed exam either. What has changed is how approval is granted.
BasicMed is NOT a way for someone to "game the system" or get around the requirements but it should streamline the process and speed up the approvals by getting the bureaucracy out of the way.
There is nothing stopping someone that knows they can't pass the medical from flying now. This new regulation will not stop that either.
The problem is the "general medical condition" and the "judgment of the Federal Air Surgeon" clause. Plus, the part in the doctor's checklist that says "as presently treated". Many conditions (including some that are a real stretch to come up with aeromedical significance, such as chronic constipation that was once diagnosed as IBS-C or a 30-year-old dx of mitral valve prolapse that has never been confirmed by echocardiogram) require an SI under that clause, though a doctor might very well pass you using judgment and a little common sense. Essentially, the way the 3rd class system works, final judgment based on how you look on paper rather than the skills and judgment of a physician who knows you in 3-d. Getting the necessary documentation to look good on paper might be possible, but very expensive, and it can be an annual recurring expense.

But yeah, I'd agree that if someone doesn't (read: can't) even qualify for the SI, they probably shouldn't be flying.

Hella stoked here.. Talked to my PCP the other day (retired AF flight surgeon for the t-birds) about BasicMed, and he's got no issue signing the forms. :)

Hella stoked here.. Talked to my PCP the other day (retired AF flight surgeon for the t-birds) about BasicMed, and he's got no issue signing the forms. :)

Apparently only doctors who participate in internet forums have problems with it. I have yet to find a doctor in person that wouldn't.

Apparently only doctors who participate in internet forums have problems with it. I have yet to find a doctor in person that wouldn't.

I haven't presented documents but did mention how congress changed things and now he would be able to do this for me (he has written several letters for my AME in the past) and seemed happy to help.

Yeah, mine was shocked that FAA finally got out of the way.. He's been saying that for private ops a PCP should be all that's needed for a long time

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back