New FAA head nominated

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
The president has nominated Steve Dickson as the new Administrator for the FAA. Mr. Dickson is a former Delta pilot and VP of operations and that is about all I know of him.

Wish there was more to this message, but that is all the info I have seen so far.

Does it matter all that much? He'll be wrestlng the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man of Fed agencies, regardless of his intentions. Plenty of good folks at the point of the sword, as well as a few azz-hats - but an entrenched, stop, stumble, and fall culture, with the agility of a 1970s Detroit auto-maker, the strategic vision of Blockbuster Video, and all the accountability of a telemarketing enterprise.

Apparently, he's a pretty outspoken opponent to ATC privatization. Given he's coming from airline management, that indicates he's got some scruples. I hope it doesn't come to bite him during confirmation. Seems to be highly regarded by a broad segment of the industry from AOPA on up.

Certificate: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
Date of Issue: 5/9/2013

Ratings:
AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND

Type Ratings:
A/A-320 A/B-737 A/B-757 A/B-767

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
ATP CIRC. APCH. - VMC ONLY.
B-757 B-767 B-737 A-320 CIRC. APCH. - VMC ONLY.

I'm always hopeful when there's a new FAA boss. And then always disappointed (Basic Med? Really?) The whole aviation medical system is a disaster; fix that first!

The FAA chief had little to do with basic med or an alternate. The AMA made the DOT sit on the EAA/AOPA plan that passed through the FAA management. Basic Med was an act of Congress.

Actually, the last guy with promise was Randy Babbitt. My father who spent years in aviation labor work (both on the airline and the union sides) thought pretty highly of him. Too bad he couldn't stay sober long enough.

Is this guy a good thing or bad? How much of the day to day function/work will he or can he change?

It's been over a decade since I took a swing at the FAA administrator (it was Marion Blakey).

He seems to have some very good qualifications and experience, and is well regarded by many in the industry. I say that we should give the man a chance.
I give everyone a chance, but not a second chance! Also, he is rather limited in authority; I don't believe he can mandate new medical rules.

It's certainly a challenging time to be stepping up to that plate, in the backdrop of the highlighted regulatory capture via 737 Max case study. Not that reg capture is new in the least, but life ain't fair, aka optics matter. I would only be taking that job under the expressed expectation I'm gonna get used as a scapegoat and I already have my personal finances in order so that an early sack out of the Washington revolving door wouldn't be a life crusher. Which he appears to have, as a recently retired DL management muckity muck.

As to direct impact to our little hobby? No, I have zero expectations of any fundamental change as a result of this appointment. I also don't see regulatory capture being addressed either, but that's not something unique to the FAA, not in the least.

It's true. I'm Italian and was talking with my hands at a cocktail reception in DC prior to some black tie dinner. All of a sudden the people I was talking to got this scared look on their faces. What? You almost hit the FAA administrator. If she hadn't ducked you'd have hit her int he face.

I've met her at subsequent events and we've had a good laugh over the incident.

Certificate: AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
Date of Issue: 5/9/2013

Ratings:
AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND

Type Ratings:
A/A-320 A/B-737 A/B-757 A/B-767

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
ATP CIRC. APCH. - VMC ONLY.
B-757 B-767 B-737 A-320 CIRC. APCH. - VMC ONLY.

That is all well and good but I can't pass judgement until I know if he has a tailwheel endorsement.

ETA: I didn't see the date but my statement still stands.

Yeah, the safest aviation system in the world is a big failure. No commercial air crashes in a decade is a big failure. The most vibrant general aviation system in the world is a big failure.

Well they did allow you to pass a checkride, so...... :D :D

Yeah, the safest aviation system in the world is a big failure. No commercial air crashes in a decade is a big failure. The most vibrant general aviation system in the world is a big failure.
No, I think much/most of that isn't a FAA accomplisment. I think tech advances in aircraft and systems, in electronics and engines, in pilot training, meterology, airports, are why. I think the FAA contriubtion that mattered most was getting out of the effing way, on those occasions they did. They get a solid "C" grade for ATC, but that might slip as NextGen becomes IfAndWhenGen.

For GA, they've been a bureucratic speed bump; they don't get a pass for being less awful than in other countries - you don't get a thank you note for drowning fewer puppies than your neighbors.

Well, that certainly has a sinister aspect to it. He sends her to a company psychiatrist who declares her to be bipolar but subsequent impartial evaluations find otherwise. One must wonder.
One must sue the company shrink for malpractice.

Back