New England to Oshkosh

CMongoose

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CMongoose
I think this is the year that I will finally get to make the trip, heading from the New England area to Oshkosh. I'm not too keen on flying over the lake, does anyone have a recommendation on a good rest/overnight stop on the way?

Thanks!

I think this is the year that I will finally get to make the trip, heading from the New England area to Oshkosh. I'm not too keen on flying over the lake, does anyone have a recommendation on a good rest/overnight stop on the way?

Thanks!

I wouldn't commit to a place ahead of time, rather research out a few spots north to south of your best route for weather. I flew it last year from New England, I did fly over the lake, but probably won't do that again. Watch Scott Ds series on OSH weather, which I think starts tomorrow. He helped a lot last year. Unfortunately I can't make it this year.

Last edited:
I too am planning my first trip to KOSH flying from New England. My overriding concern is being delayed by weather. I will not be flying over the lake. Flying around the lake will take the same amount of time when you consider that flying across that inland sea will seem like an eternity.

I have done the trip from ma. To osh several times going over the lake. My last trip I flew around the lake. You have to keep an eye on the weather which will determine overnight stops.

When I flew to OSH in 2019 I went over the lake. There is definitely a risk involved with doing that, but that is a personal decision. I had my reasons, but won't bother arguing them here.

I flew CON-GVQ-CAD, spent the night, then it was an easy hop over to OSH the next morning.

Returning I did OSH-GVQ-CON.

Oshkosh is late July...being from Michigan, July/August/September are the only times I will fly over the lakes at any altitude (with flotation devices). The rest of the year I either a) go around, or b) stay above 12,000 feet with O2 (actually I'll usually do it at 16-17000).
As far as a rest stop, do you mean part way? What area would be part way for you?

If you cross the lake right over the Ludington-Manitowoc (hwy 10) ferry route, you have a target for ditching.

Thanks!

What kind of plane? Instrument rating? What is your starting point?

I've done the trip a few times from NJ. The last time was KCDW-KCAK-KENW-OSH. I left late in the day and stayed overnight in Akron. I highly recommend taking the skyline route around Chicago.

Each year I have multiple routes planned and then weather will dictate my final route.

I have a choice weather to fly the lake or to take the long way around it. For 22 years I flew all over the world in a heavy jet, I've been over the great lakes several times. The great lakes are very large, there were times that we could not see shore from altitudes in the mid 20s to low 30s. My impression has been that those lakes are simply too large of bodies of water for a GA airplane to be flying over. Flying to Oshkosh is a big part of the overall adventure, I want to enjoy the journey. I hope to have a great trip to OSH in '23 and to see you all there. Cheers

My main concern is weather. Encountering weather will mean putting down somewhere for a day or so and looking for a local microbrew, but I hope to not be late for the show. Here is to all of my dearly departed pilot friends who no longer slip the surly bonds with the rest of us any more. Cheers!

If you cross the lake right over the Ludington-Manitowoc (hwy 10) ferry route, you have a target for ditching.

I've crossed the Lake over a hundred times, the majority at that spot and have yet to see the ferry en route.

One thing to consider is that the Chicago area/NW Indiana is a funnel for aircraft from the eastern Unites States going to Oshkosh. Many people won't cross Lake Michigan, and going west of Chicago is a detour - which makes the lake shore appealing. So everyone goes low over the lake shore, under the Class Bravo.

On a nice, clear day with good visibility, transitioning the Chicago area northbound over the shore of Lake Michigan is a short route with beautiful views of the Windy City. But it does get very busy during AirVenture. If it's a hazy day (or IMC), you may want to go south and west of Chicago before turning northbound.

- Martin

I’ve crossed the lake several times, closer to shore you’ll see sailboats and in the middle container ships, there will be a long stream of calm waters behind a container ship for miles long, this helps with spotting them.

The Chicago bravo airspace is difficult to deal with especially if you are flying IFR, you’ll get routed out of the way quite a bit. For VFR if you are flight following ATC will keep asking you to fly lower and lower, if the bravo starts at 3000’ they might want you to be at 2000’ or lower.

Keep in mind that Midway recently changed their class C airspace ring to encompass more of the lakeshore space from 2300’ upwards. We keep getting pushed lower and lower to the ground, might as well fly on Lakeshore Drive.

Are you passing through Canada or going south around Detroit? If you’re passing south of Detroit, you might as well pass through Chicago area. Lakeshore tour is fine 1600-2299 MSL (I typically opt for the lower side of that).

Another option is to head north through Michigan and cross at altitude. lots of neat places in Northern Michigan to fly/land/camp.

For crossings, I like north of 44.7*N (for example CUBKO-IDYID). I often cross to and from up there on my way to KMCD and do it 11.5-13.5. Interestingly enough I learned last weekend on my trip up there that crossing over the lake towards KMCD and going around filling the UP only added 8 minutes in our 128KTAS airplane.

Also, there’s not as many boats as you think and yes, the water is cold…

Current marine traffic (freighters are green, pink are pleasure boats, blue are tugs or towing vessels)
IMG_3020.jpg

I asked a good friend why he flew over the lake. “The airplane doesn’t know it’s over water.”

Six months ago he was flying along and his engine had a complete failure. I asked him what his thoughts were now about going over the lake.

“I knew you were going to ask me that.”

I don’t think he will be going over the lake again.

I asked a good friend why he flew over the lake. “The airplane doesn’t know it’s over water.”

Six months ago he was flying along and his engine had a complete failure. I asked him what his thoughts were now about going over the lake.

“I knew you were going to ask me that.”

I don’t think he will be going over the lake again.

So only over Kansas then? No forests either?

I try to fly high enough to land on a safe area. A forest could be survivable. Lake Michigan without a raft, not so much.

Well… The added benefit of heading north is that there is a USCG unit running MH-60s out of KTVC.

What is the water temp of the lake around this time of year ? Seems like the risk would be mitigated by some life vests and crashing in front of a boat.. and flying high..... versus flying low through chicagos airspace... not sure that is a lot safer.

I used to think about the boat theory. After crossing it multiple times (in a jet) I’ve noticed… no boats.

What is the water temp of the lake around this time of year ? Seems like the risk would be mitigated by some life vests and crashing in front of a boat.. and flying high..... versus flying low through chicagos airspace... not sure that is a lot safer.
With a raft you might just have a chance. (If you can get the raft out and inflated.)
With just a life vest... I wouldn't count on it. Cold water - lots of it! - it would likely be a while before anyone can be near you to rescue you.

- Martin

Back