New Cylinder, Increased Metals 50 hours later?

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
Late last year I ate a valve and had to replace a cylinder in my O-200. I broke in the new cylinder and changed the oil at 10 hours. Ran it another 41 hours and then sent Blackstone a sample, which showed significantly increased aluminum, chromium and copper. I always get the oil checked and levels up to this point were consistent and low.

Is this normal and likely that these increased metals are related to the new cylinder?

Jim

Was all the debris from the valve-eating episode cleaned out of the crankcase and oil tank when the new cylinder was installed?

Fly it more and watch the trend. If you changed the oil after 10 hours chances are you didn't have all of the metals out of the system from the break-in, plus the valve eating episode. Check again at the next oil change and I'll bet it will have gone down significantly.

I agree with follow the trend.
Either you are still clearing wild metal out
Or
You are eating another cylinder
Have a good un'

I agree you probably didn't get everything out from episode and break in. Change the oil, fly, and re-check.

Late last year I ate a valve and had to replace a cylinder in my O-200. I broke in the new cylinder and changed the oil at 10 hours. Ran it another 41 hours and then sent Blackstone a sample, which showed significantly increased aluminum, chromium and copper. I always get the oil checked and levels up to this point were consistent and low.

Is this normal and likely that these increased metals are related to the new cylinder?

Jim
It's worse than that.. the high copper is an indicator that you are now eating the main and rod bearings. other than the rocker arm bushings would you find copper?

I agree you probably didn't get everything out from episode and break in. Change the oil, fly, and re-check.
why would the copper be increased? there isn't any in the cylinder assembly? other than the rocker arm bushings.
Copper is the base metal for the bearing shells of the main and rod bearings.

I agree with follow the trend.
Either you are still clearing wild metal out
Or
You are eating another cylinder
Have a good un'
No, he is eating the crank. all that debris was cycled thru the oil system.

This is what's happening.

Attachments

• DSCN1837.jpg
    DSCN1837.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 54
Unlike some posters in this thread, I am not a skilled aviation mechanic with decades of hard-earned experience...

...but I also worry about the presence of copper in the analysis.

Might it be worthwhile to change oil, run for ten or so and check again?

Was the oil cooler replaced (Cu & Al from new unit?).

I would think that by the time copper shows up in oil from a bearing, oil pressure would have dropped and there would be visible trash in the oil filter. But I'm a ground mechanic.

Was the oil cooler replaced (Cu & Al from new unit?).

I would think that by the time copper shows up in oil from a bearing, oil pressure would have dropped and there would be visible trash in the oil filter. But I'm a ground mechanic.
No oil cooler on a 0-200

Unlike some posters in this thread, I am not a skilled aviation mechanic with decades of hard-earned experience...

...but I also worry about the presence of copper in the analysis.

Might it be worthwhile to change oil, run for ten or so and check again?
No worries....everyone here is an expert. :D

Here is what you will see when it comes apart.

Attachments

• 20160205_171342.jpg
    20160205_171342.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 39
So that might explain the Al? Where's the chrome from, cyls? Valves?
Mostly from the new top ring breaking in. Remember we gauge break in by oil consumption, which has nothing to do with the top rings. just the oil control ring at the bottom of the piston.
compression will be 80/80 or nearly when first started,

Mostly from the new top ring breaking in. Remember we gauge break in by oil consumption, which has nothing to do with the top rings. just the oil control ring at the bottom of the piston.
compression will be 80/80 or nearly when first started,

But you said the rings break in before you reach the departure end of the runway.
iu

But you said the rings break in before you reach the departure end of the runway.
iu
quoting out of context again? tell me what cylinder he installed?

Never trust Tom when he starts talking about compression checks. It typically ends up in a trip to the ER. Muahahaha

Back