New Commercial standards question...

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
Is there any benefit to passing the commercial check ride before the June date when they update the standards? I'm not familiar with how the private and instrument have already changed because I've had those a long time. Are the new standards 'harder' or just different?

If it's anything like the PPL or IR there will be no advantage. Won't be any easier or harder.

Last edited:
Are you saying the Commercial Airmen Certification Standards are supposed to come out in June? I haven't heard of any official date yet or seen any drafts... do you have a link?

Are you saying the Commercial Airmen Certification Standards are supposed to come out in June? I haven't heard of any official date yet or seen any drafts... do you have a link?

Yep, I read it somewhere in just the past couple of days. Let me see if I can find it. I just need to remember what I Googled to run across it. Unless I misread it.

Here we go. The top of page 11 at the link:

The FAA intends to replace the PTS for the Commercial Pilot Airplane Certificate (CAX) with the corresponding ACS in June 2017. We will publish this document, along with updated versions of the ACS for PAR and IRA, on the FAA’s Airman Testing web page on/about May 1, 2017 for review in advance of the June 15, 2017 effective date.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/acs_faq.pdf

Well, this is certainly news to me. Just finished my written and starting commercial training next week. With my work schedule looks like I am going to miss the cut off for PTS.

Well, this is certainly news to me. Just finished my written and starting commercial training next week. With my work schedule looks like I am going to miss the cut off for PTS.

How did you do on the written? Last time I took it was several years ago and I let it run out. It seemed easier to memorize some questions last time around. Now the performance section has some really different questions where you have to know the temperature lapse rat, etc. Did you memorize those or just figure out how to work them? Doesn't seem to be as much to get a handle on to memorize some of them on this newer test.

How did you do on the written? Last time I took it was several years ago and I let it run out. It seemed easier to memorize some questions last time around. Now the performance section has some really different questions where you have to know the temperature lapse rat, etc. Did you memorize those or just figure out how to work them? Doesn't seem to be as much to get a handle on to memorize some of them on this newer test.

I got a 90, was hoping to do a little better. I did 4 or 5 of the Gleim practice tests and never got less than a 96. It's 100 questions so to get a 70 to pass, you can miss 30 damn questions, which is A LOT. Some of that stuff you can memorize, of the 10 I missed, 3 of them were ones that I second guessed and went back and changed my answers, classic mistake. The others were either "Doh! I should have read the question more completely" or like the FAA likes to do, a couple of them were fairly simple but worded in a way that was confusing, like "Option A is the only one that sounds correct, but the 3 extra words they put at the end of it there throws that right out the window". The good thing is, there are rarely more than 1 or 2 questions from each topic, so if there is an area or two you aren't as strong in, it's not gonna kill you. There were 3 HSI questions, that to me seemed pretty tricky (I missed one of them). Memorizing works for a lot of them, but some will be worded a little differently so might throw you off, but will only be a few. The performance questions really aren't that bad, as long as you remember to correct for non standard temp, luckily the lapse rate is 2 deg per 1000, just multiply the first digit of the pressure alt by 2 to get standard temp and subtract from the ambient (i.e. temp is 18 deg C at 4,000 feet PA, 4 (first digit of PA) x 2 = 8 deg C (standard temp), just find the difference from standard and the table will give you the correction factor for x amount of degrees above standard. Hope that makes sense.

I got a 90, was hoping to do a little better. I did 4 or 5 of the Gleim practice tests and never got less than a 96. It's 100 questions so to get a 70 to pass, you can miss 30 damn questions, which is A LOT. Some of that stuff you can memorize, of the 10 I missed, 3 of them were ones that I second guessed and went back and changed my answers, classic mistake. The others were either "Doh! I should have read the question more completely" or like the FAA likes to do, a couple of them were fairly simple but worded in a way that was confusing, like "Option A is the only one that sounds correct, but the 3 extra words they put at the end of it there throws that right out the window". The good thing is, there are rarely more than 1 or 2 questions from each topic, so if there is an area or two you aren't as strong in, it's not gonna kill you. There were 3 HSI questions, that to me seemed pretty tricky (I missed one of them). Memorizing works for a lot of them, but some will be worded a little differently so might throw you off, but will only be a few. The performance questions really aren't that bad, as long as you remember to correct for non standard temp, luckily the lapse rate is 2 deg per 1000, just multiply the first digit of the pressure alt by 2 to get standard temp and subtract from the ambient (i.e. temp is 18 deg C at 4,000 feet PA, 4 (first digit of PA) x 2 = 8 deg C (standard temp), just find the difference from standard and the table will give you the correction factor for x amount of degrees above standard. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for explaining the 'formula' to me. That does make it easier.

I just noticed you were in Charlotte. I lived there from '03 to '14 until I moved back to Atlanta. Flew out of JQF and 8A6, Wilgrove Air Park. I always wanted to join the Flying Club they have at JQF and Monroe, Fly Carolina. They have some nice planes. Where you doing your training?

I just noticed you were in Charlotte. I lived there from '03 to '14 until I moved back to Atlanta. Flew out of JQF and 8A6, Wilgrove Air Park. I always wanted to join the Flying Club they have at JQF and Monroe, Fly Carolina. They have some nice planes. Where you doing your training?

As it turns out, I fly out of 8A6, small world. I have done all my training there (PPL and Instrument) and now starting on my CPL.

I wasn't crazy about the ACS version of the Instrument knowledge test. (Though admittedly, I had nothing to compare it against.) So I think I'll knock out the commercial before June 17th as well. Not really interested in being a commercial pilot, but I just want to get as much training as my wife will let me!

I didn't know they were making the hange this soon. I guess I better get on it.

Listening to the interviews with the woman in charge of the ACS, I haven't been particularly impressed with the new system.

Back