New Citabria video

Diana! I didn't know! Yikes! Here's best wishes and prayers for a great 2007!

Diana! I didn't know! Yikes! Here's best wishes and prayers for a great 2007!
Thanks Greg. :) How's that song go: "We get by with a little help from our friends." Sounds like you have some issues coming up...I'll be thinking about you...let me know if I can help.

Diana

Ill vote that Chris and I get down ASAP then, and get the new year off to the right start!

Diana,
Still a student working on PPL, but I want to give acrobatics a try, at least once.

This brought about by the wonderful videos you have posted.
I have seen all three ( If that's all there are)
Keep up the wonderful motivational work you are doing! It'a a BLAST!:goofy:

I await your next superlative show.

Chache.

PS ... Patty, had better watch out......:yes:

actually i thought it was a pretty cool AOA indicator for videos.

Kent I suppose that when the airspeed hits zero the string stops streaming aft and you know you should be ruddering around by then?

:dunno:

This brought about by the wonderful videos you have posted.
I have seen all three ( If that's all there are)
Keep up the wonderful motivational work you are doing! It'a a BLAST!:goofy:

I await your next superlative show.

Chache.

PS ... Patty, had better watch out......:yes:
Wow, I could give you a big ol' hug! Aren't you sweet! You just made my day! :blowingkisses:

Actually, I made a bunch of videos, but I figured everyone had seen them already. I'll send you the links to the rest of them in a PM.

Thanks!

How does one use a string to cheat on hammerheads? :dunno:
Well, the 'Chip Gibbonses of the world' don't need them, but people like me do. It's a crutch. After doing a few dreaded whip stalls (I hate, hate, HATE those things!), I got into starting the pivot too soon and just flew over the top instead of being slow enough to rudder over the top. It's a matter of perfect feel and timing and it takes awhile for some of us slower people to find that "sweet spot". A few wise people (including Ken) suggested the string to use as a guide. It's a pretty good indication of wind flow, especially when you're on your back going straight up and slowing down.

eh chip has one of those 45 degree angles on his wing. he told me his coach says its a crutch :)

im sure he only puts it on there for when he gives us newbies rides.

Well, the 'Chip Gibbonses of the world' don't need them, but people like me do. It's a crutch.

Wrong-o hammer head. I still use a string when I'm doing tail slides since I have a hard time feeling them and don't do them very often, and I used a string for a long time learning to do hammerheads. I also think the string is cool for the people you give rides to. I think they can visualize the slow speed maneuver better if they have a string to watch. I just can't keep one on my airplane for more than a couple of flights. Cheap Wal-Mart yarn.

eh chip has one of those 45 degree angles on his wing. he told me his coach says its a crutch :)

Wrong-o glider breath. I keep it on there all the time. And while my coach rolls his eyes and says it's a crutch (calls it a "cheater"), I notice that Debby Rihn-Harvey (2006 US National Unlimited champion) has one on her Cap so I figure I'm in good company.

Lots of airplanes at the national championships have sighting devices complete with string. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
heh yea i know chip, just a little friendly ribbing.

local guy here with an aerobatic glider has a thing on the dash that shows him 45 and 90 for 8 point rolls.

too bad he rarely flies the thing, never does acro in it, uses the sight for thermalling though.

Wrong-o hammer head.
Cool! I have a new nickname! I've been looking for one, and voilà! :D I think after I get the Citabria door repainted I'll put "Hammer Head" on the door instead of my name this time. ;)

Diana "Hammer Head" :D

Cool! I have a new nickname! I've been looking for one, and voilà! :D I think after I get the Citabria door repainted I'll put "Hammer Head" on the door instead of my name this time. ;)

Diana "Hammer Head" :D

Hehehehe. Diana "The Hammer" Richards?

After doing a few dreaded whip stalls (I hate, hate, HATE those things!)

What's a whip stall?

It's a matter of perfect feel and timing and it takes awhile for some of us slower people to find that "sweet spot". A few wise people (including Ken) suggested the string to use as a guide.

I find that the best device to use for hammerheads is for Chip to be in the back seat saying "OK, kick it over now..." :goofy:

Hmm, why is aligned for the back seat then? :D

Lots of the pros have 'em too. :yes:

What's a whip stall?
Here's a thread I started about whip stalls in the acro section of sp.com. Got some good input from a few of the guys over there (including Rob Holland):

http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23708

In my hammerhead video, we got a pretty good one on film.

http://www.tailwindfoundation.org/videos/dr_hammerhead_progression.wmv

The first five maneuvers in this video are botched hammerheads. #4 is where I waited too long and it mainly flipped over 'right quick'. #5 was a good example of a whip stall. The Citabria got hung up, started a tail slide and then flipped over and then did the whip part. It's like you are riding on the end of a whip that is being cracked. It doesn't feel very good and feels a bit violent. With that particular one, the bracket of the GPS holder (GPS was not in it) flew off and smacked me in the head, and a few other things came flying out of places where they had been embedded (dead horseflies and the like). I pulled -1.5 G's within a very short time in the whip part. I suppose that particular maneuver would fall under the category of "departure from controlled flight".

The next few hammers in the video show examples of flying it over the top because I put in rudder too early in my attempts to avoid more whip stalls.

This is the video that Dave Pilkington likes to use for his acro students. I've found my niche in the acro world...making videos of botched and poorly done maneuvers. ;)

Diana "The Hammer" Richards :)

Here's a thread I started about whip stalls in the acro section of sp.com. Got some good input from a few of the guys over there (including Rob Holland):

Thanks... Always something new to learn.

When you take me for a ride at Gaston's, let's do some hammerheads. :yes:

Very nicely done Diana, and thank you.
I showed it to some other pilots too.

Very nicely done Diana, and thank you.
I showed it to some other pilots too.
Thank you Dave. :)

I finally found someone locally who knows how to do aerobatics in a Citabria, who is experienced at competing, and who is willing to be my coach and mentor. I feel fortunate in that respect. :) It sure helps to have a good mentor when trying to learn in any aspect of flying.

A few of you had asked me about another video, so here’s another one. This video is more about a personal journey, and about doing things imperfectly even though other people don’t realize it or care, or even when I don’t realize, and shouldn’t care quite so much when I figure it out later. I’ve been hesitant to post this particular video for various reasons, but since some of you have asked for one…here ‘tis.

There’s a story behind these particular maneuvers that has significance to me. I made this video mainly for myself. Hopefully for you this is at least interesting, perhaps entertaining, or maybe you might like the music. Needless to say, it’s only a form of art and self-expression and not a training video. :D

Thanks to Joe Areeda for hosting it for me. :blowingkisses: Joe, you are very sweet (and a bunch of other superlatives!). :yes: I’m glad you’re on the mend. :)

http://www.areeda.com/flying/imgs/crazy.wmv

I have no Idea why you would be hesitant to post that video. Personally, I've never considered aerobatics to be about perfecting the manuvers, rather to be about eliciting the sensations and emotions you desire. That's why I never got into competetive acro, it held no interest to me because it wasn't what I wanted to feel. It was all technical and violent, and I don't feel violent when flying.

Personally, I've never considered aerobatics to be about perfecting the maneuvers, rather to be about eliciting the sensations and emotions you desire.

Henning, I love how you put this. Sometimes it’s hard to describe why doing aerobatics feels good, but I think that with your insight and way with words you do a better job of describing it than me.

That's why I never got into competitive acro, it held no interest to me because it wasn't what I wanted to feel.

You raise an interesting point. There are so many reasons why people do aerobatics. Some like the challenge and exploring the envelope of an airplane and flight, and the excitement. I do it for various reasons, and they are constantly fluctuating. BTW, It would be great if other people chimed in here as to why they enjoy aerobatics. :yes:

Sometimes I do it to give someone else a new or interesting experience. Perhaps I can enhance the quality of their life somehow, in my own little way.

Sometimes I do it to entertain someone on the ground (although I stay so high it’s kinda hard to see me). My fan club consists of a 2-year-old and a 3-year-old…they aren’t tough critics, and keep asking for more. :)

Sometimes I do it as a tribute to someone, like the day I scattered my dad’s ashes from the Citabria.

Sometimes I do it because it feels good and I have yet to find a way to adequately describe how and why.

I think the main reason I want to compete, is to have one more life experience that is out there waiting for me that is within my grasp. I have a very limited aerobatic airplane, but I want to be able to do whatever I can possibly do in it. Bobby Younkin suggested that I try competition for various reasons.

It was all technical and violent, and I don't feel violent when flying.

I’ve had a hard time learning to be aggressive with the airplane and that is one of the many reasons acro has been so hard for me to learn. I’m basically a gentle person, and a gentle nurse, and gentle is a way of life for me (except when I see a snake). It’s been a struggle making myself be more aggressive with an airplane. At least not too many things are violent in my meager little mount, except those whip stalls. Although, trying to do a competition slow roll is not very comfortable.

BTW, the red building that you see at the end of the video is our hangar with the apartment. I hope you will consider coming to visit some time. We have over 200 acres, so if we can find some dynamite, surely there is something that you can blow up. Plus, I would just dearly love to have a chance to fly with you. :)

You raise an interesting point. There are so many reasons why people do aerobatics. Some like the challenge and exploring the envelope of an airplane and flight, and the excitement. I do it for various reasons, and they are constantly fluctuating. BTW, It would be great if other people chimed in here as to why they enjoy aerobatics.

Chiming in...
I'm learning acro because I want to feel more comfortable in a plane. I spent all of my private pilot training scared spitless - the fear and dread would replace the desire to fly every time I got in my car to drive to the airport. These feelings didn't stop until after I started learning acro and got my tailwheel endorsement last winter (following many hours of dual).

(Note, this is not to say that I've abandoned the necessary cautious attitude that enables pilots to grow old, only that I no longer have to overcome the urge to run from the plane, screaming, as soon as I start to strap in.)

I'm also learning acro with the hope that I can one day express myself through flight.

Will I compete? I don't know. Maybe. At least once. Just to see what it's like.

I've never flown acro (at least awake and in an airplane) but I have to believe it's like my dreams as a kid ... running thru the grass and flinging myself at the sky ...

Chiming in...
I'm learning acro because I want to feel more comfortable in a plane. I spent all of my private pilot training scared spitless - the fear and dread would replace the desire to fly every time I got in my car to drive to the airport. These feelings didn't stop until after I started learning acro and got my tailwheel endorsement last winter (following many hours of dual).

(Note, this is not to say that I've abandoned the necessary cautious attitude that enables pilots to grow old, only that I no longer have to overcome the urge to run from the plane, screaming, as soon as I start to strap in.)

I'm also learning acro with the hope that I can one day express myself through flight.

Will I compete? I don't know. Maybe. At least once. Just to see what it's like.
Wow. You remind me of Toby. She would write what I was thinking and feeling, but better than I could. :)

I've never flown acro (at least awake and in an airplane) but I have to believe it's like my dreams as a kid ... running thru the grass and flinging myself at the sky ...
Greg, I hope that you can someday get an acro ride out of BJC (ask your wife for a gift certificate). If you don't, maybe we can go next time I get out to Erie. My son just bought a house where he promises that I could walk from the Erie airport to his home. He said that he can watch airplanes in the pattern at Erie, anyway...don't know about walking that far with all the crap I travel with. :D

Wow. That looks like a lot of fun--I'm so jealous.

Wow. You remind me of Toby. She would write what I was thinking and feeling, but better than I could. :)

Whoa! I'm overwhelmed and honored - that woman can WRITE.

(Finding myself vexed by a design project, I stopped by for a bit of relief - you've made my night. :D )

I’m basically a gentle person, and a gentle nurse, and gentle is a way of life for me (except when I see a snake).
Then its
mrs_uzi_qleft1.gif

flamethrower.gif

Still working on getting my trailer shipped back then I'm gonna spend a couple weeks in Vegas with a friend, then I'll be through with :dunno: . See ya soon.

Last edited:
Thanks, Diana. There's a ton of building going on around Erie...too close to the airport in my opinion... a small muni airport surrounded by mcMansions could be the kiss of death to the airport ... hope not, but I'm concerned.

Diana,

The video was great, and the musical accompaniment(sp?) was super. It REALLY made me want to get out there and SOAR! (In a different way than Tony does!)

I'm sorry to hear about your tough year. Between losing friends, medical problems and legal scares, you've had it tough. This year will be better!

Looking forward to giving you a ride at Gaston's, in either the 182 or DA-40, whichever we bring. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be taking The Hammer on any acrobatic rides in either of them! :)

Know that we all love you!

The video was great, and the musical accompaniment(sp?) was super. It REALLY made me want to get out there and SOAR! (In a different way than Tony does!)

That'll be March 31st. Cant promise any thermals. heck hopefully the snow will be melted!

BTW, It would be great if other people chimed in here as to why they enjoy aerobatics. :yes:

I initially took the lessons for the same reason as JoeSelch, I wanted to get over some fears. While I did the steep turns and stalls per PTS, and did fine on the checkride, that didn't mean I liked them. :no: In fact, I quite disliked them :hairraise: . I figured taking aerobatics would get me at least tolerant of normal PTS type maneuvers. Also, I thought it would be good to do this between PPL and IR so that I'd know how to maybe get the plane back under control if I lost it IR.

The first couple of lessons were very helpful, doing the full stall series, along with extended leaf stalls (climbed fairly high and staying in stall for 20-30 seconds at a time) really helped to tame my fear of stalls. The biggest thing about leaf stalls is it teaches you how to become friends with the rudder, and how top rudder will keep you under control even in full stall.

We then progressed on to loops rolls, etc., and I just really enjoyed doing something SO out of the norm, SO far beyond the grasp of most "normal" people. It is just hard to describe, and to me is one of the very best definitions of freedom. Freedom to even be able to fly airplanes, freedom to fly them the way YOU want to fly them. Hard to put to words.

Confidence. That is the single most important thing I took from this short (8 lesson) class. I really totally botched some of the maneuvers, like super bad recoveries from snap spins (rolls), where the plane would stop rotating in some wierd attitude, and I'd have to figure out how to get the thing flying greasy side down again. My instructor was a cool cucumber, and after recovery from a botched maneuver, I'd ask him if he helped me, and he'd say "Nope, I've been back here with my arms crossed since we left the airport." Confidence.

I thought about competing, and looking for a B model Pitts, but I talked with several eye docs, and they all agree that high G's and glaucoma should likely not be mixed. There are no studies out there that my doc knows of on the subject of high G's and glaucoma, but her gut instinct that anything that causes straining and higher blood pressure won't be good.

*sigh*

So, I think I'll just go up maybe once a year or so and have some fun...although I still sometimes think a Citabria and some gentlemans aerobatics would be grand (and maybe worth the risk? dunno :( )

Oh, and stalls and steep turns? Ain't no thang now...

Diana, please keep posting your movies...

Last edited:
Lots of airplanes at the national championships have sighting devices complete with string. Makes sense to me.

My aerobatics CFI keeps string on his sighting devices. Dude has more than 4,000 aerobatic hours and he says it's the only he knows when he makes the transition from straight up to straight down.

It would be great if other people chimed in here as to why they enjoy aerobatics. :yes:

Where to start?

I love the challenge... and it is a challenge. As others pointed out, it looks so easy. I finally got the hang of the slow roll in the Decathlon. And by "got the hang of" I mean I don't look like a total retard. I tried it in a Pitts and the result was unrecognizable. Rob's response from the backseat, "Just because the plane will roll that fast doesn't mean you have to. It's rolling faster than your brain."

I love the feeling. Being upside down, going from -2 to +5 Gs. Flinging the airplane around the sky.

I love that I used to watch airshows when I was a kid and think, "Man, I wish I could do that." or "Man, I wish I could fly that plane." Guess what? I can. I have. Not well, but I've still done it.

To me, aerobatics is less about what the maneuver looks like and more about how I feel doing it. If I want to see perfect aerobatics, I'll watch Rob, Kirby, Mike, Sean, Peter, or anyone else. If I want to FEEL perfect aerobatics, I'll fly with Rob and let him throw me around. If I want to go have a blast, I'll take the Decathlon up solo and beat myself up for a while.

I love that I can share it with other people. I've only taken up one passenger, but he loved it. It was a dream come true for him too. Even though it made him a little green, he had a blast and can tell his friends he flew an aileron roll. I'd love to take more people up. Can't wait to take my son up.

I love how much I've learned about aerodynamics. Before the basic course I thought a rudder was used to turn the airplane. Adverse yaw? What's that? Spin recovery? Yeah, I read about that once.

I don't care if I never enter a competition or never do a perfect maneuver. It's not about winning, it's about having fun playing the game.

It would be great if other people chimed in here as to why they enjoy aerobatics.
I don't so much enjoy aerobatics as I appreciate them. I like playing fighter pilot and maneuvering in 3 dimensions, but I don't particularly enjoy doing the maneuvers simply for the sake of doing the maneuvers.

I also like the challenge of convincing the airplane to do what I want it to do.

Looking forward to giving you a ride at Gaston's, in either the 182 or DA-40, whichever we bring. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be taking The Hammer on any acrobatic rides in either of them! :)
I look forward to flying with you and with Leslie. :yes: And I've never been in a DA-40, so it would be cool to hitch a ride in that one.

Know that we all love you!
Awwww. Thanks Grant. You're very sweet! :yes: :blowingkisses:

Back